I am appalled at this board's attitude towards the Xbox One

#1dnmtPosted 11/27/2013 11:27:22 AM
I am unsure of why this board has such a disdain for the XBox One. And why do you gooney goons really believe the hype about what you all have been reading? Does this come from Microsoft's success? I ask sincerely: is it the same as when you all hated the popular kid in high school? The XBox 360 was Top Dog the last console race, so is it merely a situation where you enjoy seeing the Top Dog flounder?

You all seem to be touching the poop. Buying into the hype that the console records you while you sleep. If you genuinely believe this, I must ask my fellow goons the following: have you even bothered reading Microsoft's privacy policy on the Kinect?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect/privacyandonlinesafety

The spreading of these lies seems to be a reactionary thing around here; mayhaps because some of you had 5 or 6 XBox 360 consoles overheat on you? As a hardcore gamer and Something Awful Goon, I am genuinely interested in where this outright vivitrol eschewed towards Microsoft's XBox One stems from.

I have no horse in this race (other than me personally having purchased a small amount of MSFT with my bonus check I received as my job as a big-rig trucker). I enjoy all video game consoles (besides the PS4, I think that one is terrible). I still play my S.N.E.S. console to this day!

Microtransactions are beneficial to gamers like myself. It helps reduce the cost of these expensive, high resolution games. Do you know how much it costs just to advertise one of these big-budget games? If it weren't for microtransactions, you will probably never see a Forza 6 or 7. EA does microtransactions with The Sims and Sim City (2013) and I don't see anyone complaining about them? I have seen no hatred on these Something Awful forums when Nintendo came out with New Super Luigi Bros. for their Wii U platform. Are you all just Wii U fanboys or something?

I have faith that Microsoft will keep these DLC servers active for hundreds of years. They recorded 26.76 billion of operating income in 2013. Do you really think they won't spend a few sheckles to keep up the servers so you can prove you own your purchases years from now? heh

The disc drive malfunction isn't a big issue because over half of XBox One customers have been purchasing digital downloads. That's half of the XBox One owners that will never encounter a disc read issue. Yet another benefit of digital distribution.

You all proclaim Steam as the savior, yet do not decry its requirement to always be on the Internet. Shaking my damn head.

And for all you Kinect detractors...I hope you all are covering up your cell phone cameras, putting hot glue in the microphone ports of your cellular phone, and putting tape over your DSi's lens. As a goon, I do not recall anyone claiming Nintendo was going to data mine you when the DSi was released. That's a console that both has a camera, and connects to the internet at the same time! Can you tell me what's the difference? What about your iPads and (to a lesser extent), your Microsoft Surfaces? Don't those contain cameras and microphones and connect to the Internet as well? Why does Nintendo and Apple get a pass? How are their cameras/microphone ports any different than the one in the Kinect? Do you also never leave anyone a message on their answering machine because someone could guess the two digit code to retrieve the recordings?

Citations:

[1]http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect/privacyandonlinesafety
[2]http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2013/oct13/10-24fy14q1earningspr.aspx
#2Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/27/2013 11:28:18 AM
gooney goons

Stopped reading here... I must watch Goonies now! Thanks OP...
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#3TheDarkone21Posted 11/27/2013 11:30:59 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
gooney goons

HEY YOU GUYS!!!
---
Shh! Can't you see I'm on the phone?
GT: IwuzPh34rless
#4ImThe8thWonderPosted 11/27/2013 11:31:37 AM(edited)
I have an XB1 and my feelings of disdain have absolutely nothing to do with the fear that I am being spied upon (which I don't believe in anyways). There are plenty of things about the XB1 that can be constructively criticized and that aren't simply unfair, biased hatred.
#5Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/27/2013 11:32:08 AM
TheDarkone21 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
gooney goons

HEY YOU GUYS!!!

You're killing me smalls...

DAMMIT! Now I have to watch sandlot too!!! F***!!!!
---
#6blazeUP12Posted 11/27/2013 11:49:37 AM
Don't get so emotionally invested in videogames or this is what happens.
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
http://www.youtube.com/XXtheJUMPoffXX
#7adonfrazPosted 11/27/2013 11:50:15 AM
I'm an Xbox fan but there's a vast list of reasons people hate the X1/favor the PS4.

Initial DRM policies
Always on-line
"Forced" Kinect
$100 more than PS4
Weaker than the PS4 (720p/1080p)
Fear of Kinect spying/NSA
AA batteries in controller
XBL Gold paywall
Lack of first party studios
Japan hates it
Marketing geared towards non-hardcore gamers/sports fans
---
XBL GT: Loyal Catalyst - *I'm currently hunting down Dew/Doritos Every2minutes Codes*
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone PMs me spare codes
#8Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/27/2013 12:00:38 PM
adonfraz posted...
I'm an Xbox fan but there's a vast list of reasons people hate the X1/favor the PS4.

Initial DRM policies
Always on-line
"Forced" Kinect
$100 more than PS4
XBL Gold paywall
Japan hates it

True... I mean they don't have to be good or even valid reasons to qualify...
---
#9troyboy81Posted 11/27/2013 12:01:29 PM
remember HD DVD? sony will shut down XB1 like they did that
---
GameFAQs aka ComplaintFAQs aka TrollFAQs
#10adonfrazPosted 11/27/2013 12:04:49 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
adonfraz posted...

Initial DRM policies
Always on-line
"Forced" Kinect
$100 more than PS4
XBL Gold paywall
Japan hates it

True... I mean they don't have to be good or even valid reasons to qualify...

Pretty much, I just listed every compliant I remembered.

Oh...and Indie titles. The X1 is terrible because Sony loves Indies moar.
---
XBL GT: Loyal Catalyst - *I'm currently hunting down Dew/Doritos Every2minutes Codes*
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone PMs me spare codes