Why do games take so long to install on the xbox one?

#1ninja_starXPosted 11/27/2013 2:39:37 PM
I have both the ps4 and xbox one but why do most games on the xbox take like over 10 mins to install compared to the ps4 which installs most games in under a minute? Is it a software issue or is the hardware in the xbone just not powerful enough?
#2ssjgohhkuPosted 11/27/2013 2:41:27 PM
Because PS4 does everything in the backround while you already play the game.
#3pctech86Posted 11/27/2013 2:48:11 PM
I'll bite, this is obviously a troll topic however. If you think the PS4 installs a 40 GB game in under a minute, you're on some serious hallucinogenics. Both systems let you play the game before the install is finished. Different games = different sizes (you can't compare the time it takes to install forza on xb1 with the time it takes to install knack on ps4). Keep in mind the XB1 downloads the patch while installing, so there will be the time that takes which is entirely dependent on your Internet connection. The PS4 downloads the patch after the install - which makes it appear as if it's ready before it actually is. The only way you can compare is if you use a multiplat game, of which the tests have shown (may well-documented articles out there on this subject) that load times into the game are faster on XB1 while the PS4 installs the game about 30 seconds faster (using the NBA2K14 test game). When you are talking about a 15 minute install on both consoles, 30 seconds is hardly anything (especially since you only do it once).

Speaking of install times - why does everyone compare them?? PC Gamers don't talk together and say "hey man MY rig installs skyrim 30 seconds faster than yours HAHAHAHA" it's an argument that makes absolutely no sense, how many times do you plan on installing the same game??? It's the load time for the game that matters since you have to deal with that every time it starts. Console gamers man I tell ya....
---
GT - xFGMx Kaell
3DS - 3179-7398-7610 - Kaell
#4aray48Posted 11/27/2013 2:54:28 PM
pctech86 posted...
I'll bite, this is obviously a troll topic however. If you think the PS4 installs a 40 GB game in under a minute, you're on some serious hallucinogenics. Both systems let you play the game before the install is finished. Different games = different sizes (you can't compare the time it takes to install forza on xb1 with the time it takes to install knack on ps4). Keep in mind the XB1 downloads the patch while installing, so there will be the time that takes which is entirely dependent on your Internet connection. The PS4 downloads the patch after the install - which makes it appear as if it's ready before it actually is. The only way you can compare is if you use a multiplat game, of which the tests have shown (may well-documented articles out there on this subject) that load times into the game are faster on XB1 while the PS4 installs the game about 30 seconds faster (using the NBA2K14 test game). When you are talking about a 15 minute install on both consoles, 30 seconds is hardly anything (especially since you only do it once).

Speaking of install times - why does everyone compare them?? PC Gamers don't talk together and say "hey man MY rig installs skyrim 30 seconds faster than yours HAHAHAHA" it's an argument that makes absolutely no sense, how many times do you plan on installing the same game??? It's the load time for the game that matters since you have to deal with that every time it starts. Console gamers man I tell ya....

How is this a troll topic? This is a legitimate question.
#5pctech86Posted 11/27/2013 2:56:28 PM
Because the differences he claims are so blatantly false and uninformed that he must be trolling. Same reasoning for any troll topic really XD
---
GT - xFGMx Kaell
#6krystylaPosted 11/27/2013 2:56:42 PM
aray48 posted...
pctech86 posted...

How is this a troll topic? This is a legitimate question.

Because we already have 2 of these topics going already and instead of linking the article you are simply asking a question conveying the same message. You have to understand how that looks
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell
#7Video_Game_CzarPosted 11/27/2013 2:58:22 PM
Magic....whole lotta magic
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l GameFAQs: So stupid, You'll feel like you've never left grade school.
#8aray48Posted 11/27/2013 3:02:41 PM
pctech86 posted...
Because the differences he claims are so blatantly false and uninformed that he must be trolling. Same reasoning for any troll topic really XD

Some users took over an hour to have Dead Rising 3 playable. Killzone, however, takes about 2 minutes. To the uninformed, this would be incomprehensible. Therefore, why assume it is a troll topic? Not everyone knows what is going on.
#9khardboredPosted 11/27/2013 3:13:31 PM
Well, first off the "installing" progress you see is a bit misleading. The initial progress is actually the patch downloading before the installation even begins. In my experiences with two different Xbox Ones, whenever a game is put in and you start downloading the patch, that has to finish before you see any progress on the installing. Once the patch is done, progress moves along quite nicely.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#10pctech86Posted 11/27/2013 4:40:52 PM
aray48 posted...
pctech86 posted...

Some users took over an hour to have Dead Rising 3 playable. Killzone, however, takes about 2 minutes. To the uninformed, this would be incomprehensible. Therefore, why assume it is a troll topic? Not everyone knows what is going on.

Those are two different games though. About 95% of the install time is patch downloading, which is completely dependent on the customer's Internet connection, not on their XB1. Since you cannot play a game while it is in the process of patching, unless the devs have built it into the specific game in question, then it's completely understandable that the patch has to be downloaded first. For comparison my Dead Rising was playable by the time I got back from a quick one minute bio break.
---
GT - xFGMx Kaell