To be fair, none of the PS4 and X1 had "catastrophic" launches, right?

#1AmazingDanyPosted 11/27/2013 5:07:01 PM
None were epic failures, yes?
#2krystylaPosted 11/27/2013 5:07:56 PM
Yes
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell
#3touyamizrahiPosted 11/27/2013 5:09:55 PM
technically, I'd say no. Both sold 1M units. What people are referring to as a failure is that it took MS 13 countries to hit that number and Sony only 2. It could've been just because they didn't have more units, it could've been because not as many people wanted the XBOne. My personal opinion is the later of the two. If you know you're going to launch in 13 countries and you expect to break all records, you wouldn't just stop at 1M units for a global launch.

As I don't work for either company though, as stated, this is only my opinion.
---
Thinking about what to put here. Open to ideas :).
PS4 vs XBOne my joy since E3 <3
#4TheBiggerOnePosted 11/27/2013 5:10:23 PM
Both divisions are apparently still at a loss right now. I know for a fact that MS still hasn't made an actual profit off of Xbox since 2001, and Sony lost a ton of money with the PS3 as well, so they're still hurting from that. Plus I heard that the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Otherwise, the launches went fine for both companies.
#5RingsOfUranusPosted 11/27/2013 5:11:52 PM
TheBiggerOne posted...
Both divisions are apparently still at a loss right now. I know for a fact that MS still hasn't made an actual profit off of Xbox since 2001, and Sony lost a ton of money with the PS3 as well, so they're still hurting from that. Plus I heard that the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Game consoles are always sold at a loss, this is not new. The XBOX One (Though I don't know how much it actually costs to manufacture) is being sold at a loss, I assure you.
---
Official Gengar of the Pokemon X board
"I'm excited to see what don't has for the ps4" -HomieKnockout
#6NumenorPosted 11/27/2013 5:19:48 PM
RingsOfUranus posted...
TheBiggerOne posted...

Game consoles are always sold at a loss, this is not new. The XBOX One (Though I don't know how much it actually costs to manufacture) is being sold at a loss, I assure you.

$471 for the X1 construction costs from what I read the other day.
---
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. - Gandalf
#7Apex-PlayerPosted 11/27/2013 5:22:32 PM
Numenor posted...
RingsOfUranus posted...
TheBiggerOne posted...

+ shipping, handling, retail store %, etc.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#8skermacPosted 11/27/2013 5:23:06 PM
Numenor posted...
RingsOfUranus posted...
TheBiggerOne posted...

I read the other day that it costs $157 to make the X1 in China but a lot more in other countries. MS is making a killing on the units made in China.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#9TheBiggerOnePosted 11/27/2013 5:24:28 PM
RingsOfUranus posted...
TheBiggerOne posted...

I know it isn't new, but it definitely isn't always done like this. Sony's counting on software to provide profit, so they should be fine. It's a shame though. I think a $425 price tag would've gone a long way towards increasing profitability.
#10krystylaPosted 11/27/2013 5:39:20 PM
I believe MS said they are selling the Xbone with profit
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell