Digital Foundry: Next-Gen Face-Off: Battlefield 4. Official verdict

#21DaLaggaPosted 11/28/2013 11:25:51 PM
velvet_hammer posted...
did you miss the part about 50% more resolution as well? with a fps advantage, & particle effects? frostbite 3 on ps4 pretty much spanks the competition ( bar ultra pc ) across the board..

See also Rivals on PS4... Even my buddy with Forza seems impressed he went out and bought it for X1.

What's really sad here though is just how far behind consoles are this generation. The PS4's GPU is its most advanced component and even that is outperformed by a single GTX580 from 3 years ago. Taking SLI/CF configurations into account, you could probably build a rig with more GPU power 5 years ago. Moving on to the CPU, things are even worse and this is mentioned in the article where they reason that this is the cause of the poor multi-player performance in large games. Having 8 cores isn't going to count for much when they're all so weak and easily outperformed by a lower end i5 from several years ago.

As far as BF4 goes, consider this. The resolution gap between the PS4 version and the PC version at 1080p is almost as large as it is between the Xbone and PS4 versions (and a PC can go well beyond 1080p). And while the Xbone and PS4 have similar graphics, the PC boasts a number of visual improvements. Moreover, neither console comes close to maintaining 60fps and performance completely falls apart when you get to the MP side of things.

Honestly, this has never really happened before. Never has the PC had such a massive hardware advantage over the higher end console of any previous generation at launch. Seeing as how even business class PC's with integrated GPU's these days can outperform the x360/PS3, what kind of staying power do these new consoles have? They're heavily outdated right out of the gate, and it's pretty sad to think just how far behind they will be if this generation goes on for 7 to 8 years like the last one.
#22Spetsnaz420Posted 11/29/2013 12:34:47 AM
teehee23 posted...
larryboy_dragon posted...
PS4 is not “50% more powerful” because “powerful” isn’t a thing. The CPUs of both consoles are much the same, PS4 has faster RAM, XB1 has more available RAM, PS4 has a better graphics processor, the PS4 processor is easier to program for and the XB1 graphics processor has a special cache of RAM that’s part of its processor (that the PS4 lacks) that can allow it to buffer more quickly and push better graphics by way of advanced rendering.
The PS4 is the better overall machine, but not by 50%. And (as Ryse and Forza 5 show) games that utilise the XB1’s graphics processor to its fullest can produce results equal to the PS4 – But multiplatform games are unlikely to ever utilise it fully like first party titles will.

The power difference between the PS4 and XB1 is minuscule compared to the difference between PS4/XB1 and even a modest gaming PC. The PC is so much more “powerful” that watching the console fanboys argue about which is better is like watching two kids argue about whose remote control car is faster while someone in a Ferrari drives laps around them.
As console players we don’t really care about “power”. If we did, we’d all be plugging gaming PCs into our TVs. We aren’t because we enjoy the experiences that consoles offer – and both the PS4 and the XB1 offer some great experiences.

Xbox #1 owners aren't doing the arguing.
Insecure ps4 users and / or Xbox #1 haters are.
Xbox #1 is the fastest to a million selling console of all-time and has great launch titles and suffering fewer faulty launch systems than ps4 so the haterz troll with anything they can.

Titanfall not on ps4 really made them cry.

And when TeeHee agrees with you, you know your making a fanboy argument
---
I don't conform to social convention
#231nternationa7Posted 11/29/2013 12:44:29 AM
Battlefield 4: the Digital Foundry verdict
Regardless, a clear-as-day recommendation still goes to the PS4 version, and while there are glitches on both consoles that need to be addressed, the embracing of seamless, behind-the-scenes updates should at least ease some of Battlefield 4's growing pains.

Seems pretty clear to me. What's all the arguing about?
---
SV 3340 Pokemon Y Friend Code: 5172-1018-8947
#24slyman19Posted 11/29/2013 1:22:45 AM
Both versions still look beautiful. All topics like this do is create trolling opportunities. Something we simply don`t need.
#25bloodlover4everPosted 11/29/2013 1:26:19 AM
velvet_hammer posted...
Chaos_Matazaki posted...
And this sorta thing makes me sad, I don't have either system yet, but I'm gonna get both. Having trouble deciding on what system to get 3rd party games on. Either better resolution or a better controller.

DS4 is amazing.. i cant get over how great it is. touch pad, built in speak, and what ever its made out if its class all around

What is the use of built in speakers? Also can you use the touch pad in FPS games?
#26bloodlover4everPosted 11/29/2013 1:30:05 AM
DaLagga posted...
velvet_hammer posted...
did you miss the part about 50% more resolution as well? with a fps advantage, & particle effects? frostbite 3 on ps4 pretty much spanks the competition ( bar ultra pc ) across the board..

See also Rivals on PS4... Even my buddy with Forza seems impressed he went out and bought it for X1.

What's really sad here though is just how far behind consoles are this generation. The PS4's GPU is its most advanced component and even that is outperformed by a single GTX580 from 3 years ago. Taking SLI/CF configurations into account, you could probably build a rig with more GPU power 5 years ago. Moving on to the CPU, things are even worse and this is mentioned in the article where they reason that this is the cause of the poor multi-player performance in large games. Having 8 cores isn't going to count for much when they're all so weak and easily outperformed by a lower end i5 from several years ago.

As far as BF4 goes, consider this. The resolution gap between the PS4 version and the PC version at 1080p is almost as large as it is between the Xbone and PS4 versions (and a PC can go well beyond 1080p). And while the Xbone and PS4 have similar graphics, the PC boasts a number of visual improvements. Moreover, neither console comes close to maintaining 60fps and performance completely falls apart when you get to the MP side of things.

Honestly, this has never really happened before. Never has the PC had such a massive hardware advantage over the higher end console of any previous generation at launch. Seeing as how even business class PC's with integrated GPU's these days can outperform the x360/PS3, what kind of staying power do these new consoles have? They're heavily outdated right out of the gate, and it's pretty sad to think just how far behind they will be if this generation goes on for 7 to 8 years like the last one.

That's why I am seriously thinking to wait for the Steam box from Valve, I will wait till next year, which is one month away, to know the release date, if it's close than I will buy it.