Why were systems made better 10-15-20 years ago?

#1Video_Game_CzarPosted 11/29/2013 6:29:52 PM
Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
3DO
Playstation
XBox
Gamecube
Playstation 2 [Still, No where as good as the GC/XBox in terms of build quality]

We've all heard about the Playstation 4 and XBox One.

Do we need to even talking the XBox 360 and to a lesser extent the PS3 - The damn thing still isn't going to last any hardcore gamer [Someone plays more then 15-20 hours a week] more then 10 years so it isn't much better. I've went through two already.

I mainly think of the Gamecube and XBox...They were built to last. The XBox being easily one of the best video game consoles I've ever owned. Can't tell you how many music CD I ripped to that HDD and still didn't fill it up.

So whats the deal? Really?
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l GameFAQs: So stupid, You'll feel like you've never left grade school.
#2ValimerPosted 11/29/2013 6:32:23 PM
Video_Game_Czar posted...
Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
3DO
Playstation
XBox
Gamecube
Playstation 2 [Still, No where as good as the GC/XBox in terms of build quality]

We've all heard about the Playstation 4 and XBox One.

Do we need to even talking the XBox 360 and to a lesser extent the PS3 - The damn thing still isn't going to last any hardcore gamer [Someone plays more then 15-20 hours a week] more then 10 years so it isn't much better. I've went through two already.

I mainly think of the Gamecube and XBox...They were built to last. The XBox being easily one of the best video game consoles I've ever owned. Can't tell you how many music CD I ripped to that HDD and still didn't fill it up.

So whats the deal? Really?

The deal is that technology is more complicated than it was 15-20 years ago. That being said, I've personally owned enough systems long enough that most eventually break.
---
Sent from my iPhone.
#3Kovalchuk_Posted 11/29/2013 6:38:09 PM
Money is the answer to pretty much every question in the world.

It's cheaper to make a cheap console.
---
3754-7115-0719
#4NateRose89Posted 11/29/2013 6:46:11 PM
Both wrong. Internet wasn't as prevalent. Wide spread troll reports or wide spread actual malfunctions are on the internet for the world to see instantly.

Plenty of people still had dodgy SNES, 64s, Saturns etc.
---
PSN ID: rockstock89
#5GnarKillsPosted 11/29/2013 6:50:25 PM
NateRose89 posted...
Both wrong. Internet wasn't as prevalent. Wide spread troll reports or wide spread actual malfunctions are on the internet for the world to see instantly.

I had my N64 stop working out of nowhere after about a year of owning it. PS2 stopped reading any disc's. That's actually the turn of events that brought me to by an Xbox with Halo 2. Never had an issue with that. I've owned several 360's with only 1 RROD which was a launch model. Wrapped in towel and immediately traded in to Gamestop for the Halo LE console. Then got the MW3 console and traded the Halo one toward my now Xbox One.
---
GT - GnarKills Currently Playing - GTA5, Madden 25(360), CoD Ghosts(360), Ryse, Dead Rising 3, NBA 2K14(X1), Battlefield 4(X1), Killer Instinct
#6Skurv7Posted 11/29/2013 6:57:53 PM
GnarKills posted...
NateRose89 posted...

I had my N64 stop working out of nowhere after about a year of owning it. PS2 stopped reading any disc's. That's actually the turn of events that brought me to by an Xbox with Halo 2. Never had an issue with that. I've owned several 360's with only 1 RROD which was a launch model. Wrapped in towel and immediately traded in to Gamestop for the Halo LE console. Then got the MW3 console and traded the Halo one toward my now Xbox One.

I remember the dreaded PS2 quits reading the blue discs...then just goes kaput all together lol...nevar forgat
#7kakarot-uchihaPosted 11/29/2013 7:12:31 PM
my nes genesis snes and n64 all still work to this day. my dreamcast died, and my ps1 kind of works but as soon as i put a disk in i have to quickly turn it upside down. it doesent work every time tho, i conider it brain dead. i dont know if they were made better but it'd be sweet to get that life out of current ones.
#8MementoMori77Posted 11/29/2013 7:14:59 PM
Planned obsolescence is surely a factor. I think manufacturers have been doing that for well over 20 years now though. Go back 40 - 50 years though, and stuff was made to last a lifetime. There are kitchen appliances that old that are still kicking, for example.
#9BrownGottiPosted 11/29/2013 7:20:39 PM
All of those consoles had issues, but the Internet wasn't as available as it is now especially with social media. So now when someone has an issue, the whole world knows about it.
#10PutHaggarInSFPosted 11/29/2013 7:21:38 PM
Discs/moving parts is when I started to notice problems.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Venml45.gif
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided