How high is the chance my console will be defective?

#1Swan3624Posted 11/29/2013 8:29:45 PM
So I may have found a store that has the console, and I really want it. I wish I didn't, but I do. I hate the hype, but I ride it to the death. I also figure I'll eventually have an Xbox One and PS4 in the future, so why not get one now? :D

But what are the chances my console will be defective or have issues? I'm mainly worried about the discdrive grinding noise (which I saw can be corrected with a healthy whack to the back).
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#2ThatLaoGuyPosted 11/29/2013 8:31:55 PM
pretty high odds. You're better off waiting. Seems the disc drive issue is the fault of the cheap parts used.
Wait till they address the issue. new revision next year? do it up
#3EvilScythePosted 11/29/2013 8:34:23 PM
Pretty damn low. Just go for it. I live in Savannah Ga and have not seen or heard of any problems in the area. Gamestops, targets, walmarts, no reports of any issues. Im sure there are defective units out there, there ALWAYS are with new electronics. However the issue is NOT as likely as some people would like you to believe. Also if it does happen to have a problem, its a free fix from MS. The Xbox One is too awesome to pass up, seriously. I love mine and am very satisfied with my purchase. GO FOR IT. Percentage wise? Id say you have maybe a 5% chance of getting a defect. Just a complete guess though.
#4Man-BoobsPosted 11/29/2013 8:35:25 PM
As far as I know official figures haven't been released and I doubt they ever will.

Some are saying 40% but where this figure comes from is unknown.

Other sources such as IGN state that out of the 20 consoles they released 3 were defective while other stores have reported that out of 50 sold 10 have been returned with defects putting the fail rate at around 15%-20% though this is hardly a big enough sample size to accurately determine fail rate.
#5Apex-PlayerPosted 11/29/2013 8:35:50 PM
-System (disc drive)
-Power Brick
-Kinect
-(controller if you cant afford another)

Each can just die for no reason, just anytime randomly.

3 seperate send in for repair scenarios minimum. I say you have a good chance to not get all three as an issue, aside from that its your gamble bro.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#6drfirepantsPosted 11/29/2013 8:45:26 PM
Very slim chance despite what the sony fanboys want you to believe. You have a much much much higher chance of getting a completely fine console compared to a defective one.
#7Man-BoobsPosted 11/29/2013 9:11:10 PM
drfirepants posted...
Very slim chance despite what the sony fanboys want you to believe. You have a much much much higher chance of getting a completely fine console compared to a defective one.

And in Russian Roulette you also have a higher chance of getting an empty chamber however a one in six chance of getting a loaded one isn't exactly reassuring.
#8DeadLock25Posted 11/29/2013 9:17:13 PM
Man-Boobs posted...
drfirepants posted...

And in Russian Roulette you also have a higher chance of getting an empty chamber however a one in six chance of getting a loaded one isn't exactly reassuring.

How is that even remotely relevant?

There are millions of units out there with thousands (not hundreds of thousands) reported DOA, just as it should be.

Its nowhere near a 1 in 6 chance, so I dont know why you brought up Russian roulette. His whole point was that you have a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of getting a working console, than a faulty one which completely true.

No facts regarding the failure rate have been released, so all we can do is assume. But its safe to say its on the low end (less than 5%) or we would be hearing A LOT of commotion about it. So far, both consoles have an equally loud response (louder than last gen, which is due to spread and ease of accesibility to internet, not because more people got faulty units than last gen) from customers regarding the failure rate, with the obvious trolls here and there swaying the numbers a little bit on both sides.
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244 || Pkmn Y IGN: Pasha || TSV: 2535 ||Friend Safari: Ghost: Phantump, Golurk, Lampent
#9Man-BoobsPosted 11/29/2013 9:27:04 PM
But we are hearing A LOT of commotion about it and since Microsoft will never release the actual numbers the only thing we have to go on is individual retailers and whatnot who have reported an average of 15-20% of their consoles have failed straight out of the box.

Couple that with an 8 hour wait for Xbox support I am sure there are quite a few people having trouble with their new Xbox, enough that even Microsoft felt that it needed to give out a free game to quell the rage.

Of course I am sure there are a few PS4s that have had problems as well but so far reports have been of less than 1% which is still well below the accepted 6% fail rate of electronics.
#10slyman19Posted 11/29/2013 9:28:30 PM
Most likely a low chance. You hear about the consoles that broke and not the ones doing fine, so it may seem like there are a lot of failures.