TV resolution question

#11Webmaster4531Posted 11/29/2013 9:13:15 PM
mmm_BabyBoy posted...
Xbox does 1080p, even the 360 did 1080p. How are you so misinformed?

Also, if your premise about one console only displaying at 720p and the other at 1080p were true, shouldn't you still think about your future TV's resolution, not just your current crappy old TV? You can't think so little of your future that you don't expect to have a 1080p or higher resolution TV in the next 7 years.

OzBTFU posted...
whereas the xbone (currently?) cannot.

That is true for most of it's games. Right now, Forza sacrifices dynamic lighting and other things for 1080p.
---
Ad Hominem.
#12brendalfPosted 11/29/2013 9:29:37 PM
Pulp posted...
brendalf posted...
You have to have a pretty big tv to see the difference. Anyone who says otherwise has little understanding on how the human eye actually works. Pretty doubtful you'd see much difference on a 40 inch TV at normal viewing distances. And like you said, if you have a 720p tv then making a decision on a console based on resolution is not necessary. It'll all be 720p anyway.

It might be time for you to jump on a new tv my friend! My 55 inch Panny plasma loves itself some blu-rays and this new generation of gaming!

Absolute utter and complete nonsense. People like this perpetuate the spread of stupid information. Go post your same post on a dedicated AV forum, so they can tear you apart...I am far too apathetic at this point, especially on gamefaqs.

So you click on a thread about a topic you claim you're "apathetic" about, throw out a quick insult and now you're out! Good for you, kid. And I was talking practically, if he's rocking a small TV he will not see the difference. And I'll go to whatever dedicated AV forum you want and say that.
#13mmm_BabyBoyPosted 11/29/2013 9:32:53 PM
Webmaster4531 posted...
mmm_BabyBoy posted...

Also, if your premise about one console only displaying at 720p and the other at 1080p were true, shouldn't you still think about your future TV's resolution, not just your current crappy old TV? You can't think so little of your future that you don't expect to have a 1080p or higher resolution TV in the next 7 years.

OzBTFU posted...

That is true for most of it's games. Right now, Forza sacrifices dynamic lighting and other things for 1080p.

OzBTFU posted...

So it sounds like you agree that it can (currently) do 1080p and therefore TC's statement was false? I don't understand why you quoted me and bolded part of TC's post as if to show that I misread something when I clearly did not.
#14Webmaster4531Posted 11/29/2013 9:41:02 PM
mmm_BabyBoy posted...
Webmaster4531 posted...
mmm_BabyBoy posted...

OzBTFU posted...

OzBTFU posted...

So it sounds like you agree that it can (currently) do 1080p and therefore TC's statement was false? I don't understand why you quoted me and bolded part of TC's post as if to show that I misread something when I clearly did not.

I do agree it can currently do 1080p at the cost of dynamic lighting and some 3d objects. The TC's statement is partially true and not completely false. The world isn't black and white.
---
Ad Hominem.
#15mmm_BabyBoyPosted 11/29/2013 9:53:50 PM
Webmaster4531 posted...

I do agree it can currently do 1080p at the cost of dynamic lighting and some 3d objects. The TC's statement is partially true and not completely false. The world isn't black and white.

As his statement stands, it is 100% false. If he believes that the Xbox can not do 1080p then he is misinformed. It is a black and white statement; either it can or can't do 1080p. You are adding gray to it for some reason. TC never said anything like "(well it can do 1080p, but games have to make sacrifices to do so)" and it sounds like you are interpreting it that way. I just responded to exactly what he wrote.
#16Webmaster4531Posted 11/29/2013 9:59:42 PM
mmm_BabyBoy posted...
Webmaster4531 posted...

As his statement stands, it is 100% false. If he believes that the Xbox can not do 1080p then he is misinformed. It is a black and white statement; either it can or can't do 1080p. You are adding gray to it for some reason. TC never said anything like "(well it can do 1080p, but games have to make sacrifices to do so)" and it sounds like you are interpreting it that way. I just responded to exactly what he wrote.

Why do you think he included the (currently?) part?
---
Ad Hominem.
#17mmm_BabyBoyPosted 11/29/2013 10:06:56 PM
Webmaster4531 posted...
mmm_BabyBoy posted...
Webmaster4531 posted...

Why do you think he included the (currently?) part?

I probably couldn't guess why he included "(currently)". Maybe he thinks Microsoft will patch it later to get it to output at 1080p?
#18SolisPosted 11/29/2013 10:09:06 PM
If the native resolution is maintained when selecting different output resolutions, then having a 1080p native resolution on a 720p TV will still provide superior image quality to a 720p native image since it will have a higher resolution source that the image is derived from. It would effectively be applying 2.25x supersampling in that case.

Oh, and there's a good chance that your plasma TV is actually 1024x768 native resolution, you might want to check the specs.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#19OzBTFU(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2013 10:10:12 PM
Lol don't be a tool. I clearly started the post off by saying I do not know all that much about this.