Has microsoft ever made a handheld / ever thought about it?

#21GundamThreePosted 11/30/2013 7:31:38 PM
magx posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
No....Nintendo has the market with a very....veryyy firm grip.

This. I loved my PSP and I was blown away by the Vita, which I play regularly, but Nintendo has the handheld market on lockdown. Sony has a HELL of a time competing with them in that space, and as great as the PSP was the DS utterly destroyed it and the 3DS is doing the same to the Vita. Microsoft would really have to come in with a specific vision exploiting a hole in the market and execute perfectly in order to stand a chance. Frankly, I do not see that happening. Nintendo has the lower price points nailed, the first and third party offerings are insanely strong on the Nintendo handhelds and there's a very well established history there.

---
"Tch.. Fate.. Death.. What a terrible Christmas." -- Akihiko
#22TreGoodaPosted 11/30/2013 7:33:25 PM
Zune
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#23HiddenRoarPosted 11/30/2013 7:59:21 PM
Callmege posted...
slyman19 posted...
VeonVoid posted...
Yes MS has made a handheld that can play games, its called the Windows Phone.

This. It`s portable, can play games, and you can hold it in your hand. Handheld.

No. Because handheld is short for handheld games console, isn't it*? And though it might be something you hold in your hands that can play games, it's not a games console. It wasn't designed with gaming in mind, it was designed with communications in mind and some enterprising developers have used the hardware and communications capabilities to make games for it. So sure it's a handheld communications device, but the term handheld refers specifically to a handheld games console, which the windows phone is not.

Tl;Dr. No. And then I pwn you.

*yes, it is. Otherwise my dong is also a handheld. Think about it.

Um... So does that make the X1 not a gaming console since Microsoft themselves stated it's not a gaming console but a multimedia device?
#24CallmegePosted 12/1/2013 4:06:19 AM
HiddenRoar posted...
Callmege posted...
slyman19 posted...
VeonVoid posted...
Yes MS has made a handheld that can play games, its called the Windows Phone.

This. It`s portable, can play games, and you can hold it in your hand. Handheld.

No. Because handheld is short for handheld games console, isn't it*? And though it might be something you hold in your hands that can play games, it's not a games console. It wasn't designed with gaming in mind, it was designed with communications in mind and some enterprising developers have used the hardware and communications capabilities to make games for it. So sure it's a handheld communications device, but the term handheld refers specifically to a handheld games console, which the windows phone is not.

Tl;Dr. No. And then I pwn you.

*yes, it is. Otherwise my dong is also a handheld. Think about it.

Um... So does that make the X1 not a gaming console since Microsoft themselves stated it's not a gaming console but a multimedia device?

Yep. PS3 was arguably a multimedia device rather than a games console too, although that was designed primarily with games in mind.
---
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008