Will all multiplatform games be superior on ps4?

#81Ryan-06Posted 12/2/2013 4:49:40 AM
secret sauce.
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. Want to move to Canada.
http://i.minus.com/is8qElkJbGXle.gif
#82SoulTrapperPosted 12/2/2013 5:16:28 AM
This all boils down to when they first started to develop the consoles.

This article explains it really well and although it's speculation, I think he got it perfectly:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eloj/blog/xbone-esram-gpu-performance-problems-rumors/101270/

Now, Microsoft was not building a gaming machine first. They wanted to load a familiar operating system on there. They wanted more focus on applications that historically have not been heavily optimized for one platform. A relatively fat OS, and applications from developers who are not used to the scant resources typically awarded a gaming console, leads to one design conclusion; "we need lots of memory!"

So they design for 8GB, from the start. Again, they put applications (and cost) above gaming, and go for a well known, cheap, plentiful technology in DDR3. Back then 8GB of GDDR5 would look too expensive, almost insane, and DDR4 wasn't on the immediate horizon.

To compensate the gaming side, they now need some fast RAM, hence 32MB eSRAM on-die. The XBone eSRAM is said to be a 6T type, meaning that each bit requires six transistors. 32MB gives us 32*1024*1024*8 bits times six equals 1,610,612,736 transistors. That's 1.6 billion, a huge chunk out of the total 5 billion!

They do desperately need this very fast cache-like memory to fix the fact that they're using "slow" DDR3, which they settled on because they wanted to have a lot of it, for apps -- not games.
#83richboy900Posted 12/2/2013 5:21:03 AM
Yeah superior multiplats will be on the ps4 from now on. Like tc said, the Xbox had superior multiplats in both 6th and 7th gen.
#84BirgitteSilverPosted 12/2/2013 7:43:51 AM
ATARIJAWA posted...
No it was a wash. Ps3 had the better cpu and the 360 had the better gpu.

The cell didn't even need a GPU. It's just that without it it was even harder to develop for, and given how hard it was to develop for already...
#85ssjgohhkuPosted 12/2/2013 8:47:00 AM
richboy900 posted...
Yeah superior multiplats will be on the ps4 from now on.
#86CyborgTwentyPosted 12/4/2013 5:03:59 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
This all boils down to when they first started to develop the consoles.

This article explains it really well and although it's speculation, I think he got it perfectly:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eloj/blog/xbone-esram-gpu-performance-problems-rumors/101270/

Now, Microsoft was not building a gaming machine first. They wanted to load a familiar operating system on there. They wanted more focus on applications that historically have not been heavily optimized for one platform. A relatively fat OS, and applications from developers who are not used to the scant resources typically awarded a gaming console, leads to one design conclusion; "we need lots of memory!"

So they design for 8GB, from the start. Again, they put applications (and cost) above gaming, and go for a well known, cheap, plentiful technology in DDR3. Back then 8GB of GDDR5 would look too expensive, almost insane, and DDR4 wasn't on the immediate horizon.

To compensate the gaming side, they now need some fast RAM, hence 32MB eSRAM on-die. The XBone eSRAM is said to be a 6T type, meaning that each bit requires six transistors. 32MB gives us 32*1024*1024*8 bits times six equals 1,610,612,736 transistors. That's 1.6 billion, a huge chunk out of the total 5 billion!

They do desperately need this very fast cache-like memory to fix the fact that they're using "slow" DDR3, which they settled on because they wanted to have a lot of it, for apps -- not games.

Interesting.
#87Ryan-06Posted 12/6/2013 5:32:10 PM
3HP posted...
The ps4 is more powerful and specifically made to be easy to develop games on so its pretty delusional to think that the games will somehow "even out" at any point. the gap will just get wider.

---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. Want to move to Canada.
#88Ramsus082Posted 12/6/2013 8:08:31 PM
The PS4 will always be more powerful than the XboxOne and it will always be easier to develop games on. Why wouldn't multiplatform games always look better on it?

This silliness about the eSRAM is just that. It's not going to be optimized to be a better memory architecture than what's in the PS4, it needs to be optimized so that it even competes with what's in the PS4, as it sure as hell is a massive blunder in retrospect, with every single multiplatform game being better on the PS4.

This wishful thinking that the XboxOne magically has some higher ceiling or potential than the PS4 is getting awkward. Remember the "12GB of RAM", "Infinite Power of the Cloud", "Secret sauce" and the magical "hidden GPU"? They're all made-up rumours coming from a place of wishes rather than reality.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#89Ryan-06Posted 12/6/2013 11:11:20 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
This wishful thinking that the XboxOne magically has some higher ceiling or potential than the PS4 is getting awkward. Remember the "12GB of RAM", "Infinite Power of the Cloud", "Secret sauce" and the magical "hidden GPU"? They're all made-up rumours coming from a place of wishes rather than reality.

I remember those topics. LOL 12GB RAM upgrade 2 months before launch. Yeah right.

http://imgur.com/gallery/SsaOO
---
#90kyncaniPosted 12/7/2013 5:24:35 AM
Gothmogz posted...
Multies on ps4 of course, but Sony always had more and better exclusives so if this year that doesnt change then Sony will have everything, and being cheaper.

Yeah, it's pretty sad how Microsoft botched the Xbox One :(