Now that the Xbox one is out, what is the "power of the cloud" supposed to be?

#51likematchesPosted 12/3/2013 2:37:26 AM
Laylow12 posted...
likematches posted...
Well the cloud can only get more advanced.

Right now it is a nice bullet point on the back of the box, but the sky is the limit if it is used properly in the coming years.

Oh, do tell.... What can the cloud do?

Read my previous posts, I'll just end up repeating myself. It is basically a workaround to get high intensity stuff on a relatively modest machine.

By allowing a remote, high powered machine to take the brunt of a tedious workload and then simply streaming the results to the machine in your home, you can -in theory- create some really fluid game attributes not possible on the native hardware. Or create a universal database if player usage for devs to utilize in patching.

Here is what I can think up off the top of my head:

- Remember using the 360 camera to put your face in Rainbow Six Vegas? Well you could procedurally generate NPCs in an RPG with real people's faces taken from Kinect. No more cloned NPCs.

- Remember the game Prey and how the difficulty was based on how well you were doing? Well the cloud could compile player stats and combat data to smooth out difficulty spikes in a game by automatically changing player and enemy attribute modifiers over time. Real time, adaptive play testing and polishing.

- In Star Wars Galaxy and Second Life, you could mocap yourself and your character would replace their emotes with your own animations. You could use usage data from the dance and fitness games to get real world examples of a wide variety of human movement.

- Your characters could generate facial expressions common to those of the average playerbase at a specific point of the game.

- A game with voice recognition could show devs what are common phrases used by people in tense situations and augment their accepted phrases to match.

- The X1 isn't strong enough to create huge, flowing scenery off in the distance? Have the cloud carry the load for far off objects and stream it to your console in real time to avoid load screens.

- Huge prerendered cutscenes? Stream it to save disc space.

Etc etc
---
"Tanks just can't handle my MASSIVE DPS! I'm not even trying and IT IS ALREADY SO HUGE!!!"
#52juzziebPosted 12/3/2013 2:42:28 AM(edited)
Wasn't the cloud supposed to make the Xbone more powerful than even the PS4?

Does it even make it more powerful than it's hardware AT ALL?

And Americans say my country is stupid for not buying many Xbox Ones LOL!
---
3DS FC: 2294-4729-3240
#53RatchetrockonPosted 12/3/2013 2:58:46 AM(edited)
Based on the section I read on my Home Networking Course it states that cloud storage is the process of storing data inside a none physical space. (i.e saving data into an external server).

Is the "cloud" that Xbox One is using different? Because it seems like cloud storage isn't as glorious as some people think.
#54likematchesPosted 12/3/2013 2:58:18 AM(edited)
Ratchetrockon posted...
Based on the section I read on my Home Networking Course it states that cloud storage is the process of storing data inside a none physical format. (i.e saving data into an external server).

Is the "cloud" that Xbox One is using different? Because it seems like cloud storage isn't as glorious as some people think.

You can interface remotely with other computers, networks, databases, etc. with the "cloud."

It is not just for simple storage. This is "cloud *computing*," meaning a supercomputer somewhere could be running things for you remotely and streaming it to you.
---
"Tanks just can't handle my MASSIVE DPS! I'm not even trying and IT IS ALREADY SO HUGE!!!"
#55PS2 4 LifePosted 12/3/2013 2:57:07 AM
Powerstar Golf uses the cloud really well.

Saves everybody's best drives, best shots, best putts and puts them on the cloud. You basically are always trying to beat your friends records, Or, the world records. It also saves the entirety of each of your best games in each difficulty and every course. Anyone on your friends list or online can play against your best game on any given hole or difficulty by adding you as a rival.

It uses the recording function of the XBox in cool ways too by automatically saving hole in one's, chip in's from long distances and SUPER long putts.

I am looking forward to seeing other games use the cloud and DVR in the XBox One in interesting ways.
---
Games I am looking forward to:Dead Rising 3, Mighty No 9, Tales of Xillia 2
3DS FC: 0404-5580-6237
#56RatchetrockonPosted 12/3/2013 3:00:57 AM
likematches posted...
Ratchetrockon posted...
Based on the section I read on my Home Networking Course it states that cloud storage is the process of storing data inside a none physical format. (i.e saving data into an external server).

You can interface remotely with other computers, networks, databases, etc. with the "cloud."

It is not just for simple storage. This is "cloud *computing*," meaning a supercomputer somewhere could be running things for you remotely and streaming it to you.

Oh okay I gotcha. Please excuse my ignorance.
#57CrysianiaPosted 12/3/2013 6:02:26 AM
UNLIMITEDDDD POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
---
PSN - Sacred_Darksoul
#58IVOPosted 12/3/2013 6:13:30 AM
To be fair Blast Processing was a noticeable, especially when playing sports games. NHL 93 had slowdown on SNES while Genesis had none.

Carry on.
---
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/926/vuvw.jpg
#59MCC1701Posted 12/3/2013 8:43:04 AM
@likematches: You say the sky is the limit, but why? This isn't exactly new tech, just put a lot of emphasis places on it. I'm not saying games won't improve, but this type of server access has been going on for years on PC and a fair bit last gen.

Also for drivatar that is the first I've heard about it streaming or downloading AI into your game. Do you have a link?

For anyone still curious about the cloud:

What everyone referred to when they said Cloud before MS: offsite data storage

What MS refer to when they say cloud: anything having to do with a server

What MS has promised will come: amazing things that tech people seriously question how they will achieve that.

What MS has given us: offsite data storage.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#60likematchesPosted 12/3/2013 1:08:17 PM
The X1 has been out for less than 2 weeks? And the cloud features had to be gimped a bit by removing the always online.

I imagine the Forza crowds are a result of having to process everything in-console instead of constant streaming.
---