What exactly is cloud technology?

#1oJoRdAn23oPosted 11/30/2013 11:24:43 PM
Can someone break this down? I've heard that in ways it is the future of gaming. What games use this technology and how is it beneficial? Also, is this something that both MS and Sony are going to heavily implement?
#2DSquariusPosted 11/30/2013 11:28:47 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/67985161
---
Xbox Live : DSquarius
#3Samuel 025Posted 11/30/2013 11:29:23 PM
It's basically the use of an external source for computation or data storage. Most applications of the cloud include the online back-up of data such as music and photos to, for example, Amazons cloud storage.

Other uses, potentially, could include 'outsourcing' computations to an external computer/server which would reduce the strain on your hardware at home.

It's a nifty idea, but it's not something I could see being feasible for quite some time.

I still hate it, though.
---
They call him a liar because he M'aiq's things up.
#4WeirdShroomPosted 11/30/2013 11:31:10 PM
Titanfall is probably the first game to actually use it in a capacity other than storage.
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#5BrownGottiPosted 11/30/2013 11:31:18 PM
I'll sum of the cloud for you really easy.

"Not on your computer"

That's it!
#6MCC1701Posted 11/30/2013 11:45:02 PM
Cloud is to servers are apps are to programs.

It really isn't anything new, just using old technology in a slightly more streamlined manor and putting a bunch of PR and buzz words on it.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#7DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/1/2013 12:18:15 AM(edited)
WeirdShroom posted...
Titanfall is probably the first game to actually use it in a capacity other than storage.

Holy crap, so this is why console gamers are called peasants... PC games have used Cloud gaming for decades now... How Titanfall uses Cloud seems quite pedestrian. The only real "innovation" and hype around it is that its FREE. Usually, you can't afford Cloud gaming for your games unless you are a huge company with a hugely successful game (even then, games like Uncharted 3 can't even afford dedicated servers, let alone Cloud features...) or you have some kind of payment model (Pay to win, monthly subs, etc).

Titanfall is interesting because its making a mainstream retail game that has a one time standard fee but uses Cloud features akin to MMOs without the need to charge anyone. No way a company like Respawn would get the funding for such features otherwise.

Really, when it comes down to it, Azure Cloud is to the gaming industry a tool for them to release their creative aspirations for online games. Cloud games have traditionally required ridiculous success or a payment model. Either way, the game MUST be made in a way that justifies paying for those servers. Now developers can put gameplay design first and completely remove any consideration of building a model based on recouping server costs.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#8MCC1701Posted 12/1/2013 12:27:04 AM(edited)
DesperateMonkey posted...
WeirdShroom posted...

Holy crap, so this is why console gamers are called peasants... PC games have used Cloud gaming for decades now...

I... I kinda give up right now. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get it through to people that "The Cloud" is nothing really special and won't impact gaming in any new ways. The biggest change would be that individual games would be able to have a more streamlined way to store game data on to a server for access by other users when the original is offline.

A year from now people will still ask about that "cloud" they heard about and people will still point to future games that promise to use it, not knowing that the games they have use it already and that it isn't as amazing as they were led to believe.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#9WeirdShroomPosted 12/1/2013 12:24:33 AM
My lack of knowledge about something you claim is mostly PC, and not being a PC gamer aside....

Sounds like it has a lot of great potential. With MS in control of Azure and supposedly offering it to devs at a low cost(according to titanfall dev), seems like it may become more widespread.

You seem to be the authority, so lay out the deets for all of us peasants. Is it an advantage? lol
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#10DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/1/2013 12:57:24 AM(edited)
MCC1701 posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
WeirdShroom posted...

Holy crap, so this is why console gamers are called peasants... PC games have used Cloud gaming for decades now...

I... I kinda give up right now. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get it through to people that "The Cloud" is nothing really special and won't impact gaming in any new ways. The biggest change would be that individual games would be able to have a more streamlined way to store game data on to a server for access by other users when the original is offline.

Cool. What a terrible prediction. Free Cloud is just that. What it means for games is that you will see more and more server side processed games because its now free. You will see a lot more creative uses for it because its free. Theoretically, even indie developers can make Cloud based games. Would be pretty ridiculous if they offer these companies free Cloud servers too.

Cloud based games (AKA MMOs) are stuck in a trap right now. They need to make a game around microtransactions and subscriptions. Destiny has both a paid retail price and an active online market that will offer many cosmetic and convenient items for sale.

Titanfall has no need to do this. They don't need microtransactions of such a magnitude because someone else is footing the bill so they are free to use Cloud strictly in whichever method provides the gameplay experience they want to deliver.

This means you can have massive numbers of server processed AI (that is stronger than console based AI), you can have bigger worlds, persistent worlds, community events, massive player counts, an ever changing campaign delivered through the servers and so on.

Cloud has a crapload of applications and you guys clearly have no idea how extremely broad the applications can be. Siri now does like 70% of all my interactions with my phone. "Find me an Indian restaurant", "make a route to nearest supermarket", "play all songs by Dave Brubeck", "tell kyle your gf is ugly", "remind me to buy flowers", "google Game of Thrones", etc. Siri is a super powered AI that recognizes tasks from a huge variety of different commands because of Cloud based processing. I can speak in a huge variety of ways and it will understand.

This is one of many features that requires the Cloud. For gaming, we've barely seen the tip of the iceberg since it use to be completely bogged down by the prohibitiveness of the cost.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H