What exactly is cloud technology?

#11DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/1/2013 12:42:49 AM(edited)
WeirdShroom posted...
My lack of knowledge about something you claim is mostly PC, and not being a PC gamer aside....

Sounds like it has a lot of great potential. With MS in control of Azure and supposedly offering it to devs at a low cost(according to titanfall dev), seems like it may become more widespread.

You seem to be the authority, so lay out the deets for all of us peasants. Is it an advantage? lol

Sorry but I am so tired of all the people thinking Cloud is "new" technology. Its just technology that people haven't really familiarized themselves with. So many things around us today use the Cloud yet its unbelievable that people still think its "storage only". I played Stone Age like 20 years ago and that was an MMO which used the ideas of Cloud processing....

And yes it can be a very big advantage if its really being offered for free. There are a lot of things that are offloaded to the servers in MMOs. Thats why MMOs are so massive in comparison to normal games. With free Cloud, single player games or co-op games can run in massive MMO style worlds that are processed by the Cloud. Its hardly just limited to world size. You can do a lot of things through the Cloud. Sunset Overdrive for instance, is going to be focused on having user created content submitted into the world for design so that the world is constantly being shaped through user generated "ideas" (although they don't make it themselves). Sounds quite ambitious but maybe they can pull it off but basically, you get to play in a massive world that is constantly being altered by the players. With Insomniacs track record, no company would provide them with dedicated servers, let alone the servers needed for this MMO world as a retail game.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#12WeirdShroomPosted 12/1/2013 12:37:04 AM
That makes me wonder.....if they will use it for Kinect too. With what you said about Siri, Kinect2 voice commands and whatnot could see a HUGE leap in functionality and recognition with a cloud boost.
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#13WeirdShroomPosted 12/1/2013 12:40:16 AM
I know it's more than storage, I just wasn't aware it was utilized that much before...it's never been something I encountered really.

So what does the 300k servers do for it? Is that like...a boost in power to its standard usage or it that par for the cloud course?
---
#14DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/1/2013 12:49:41 AM
300k servers is massive and Azure is the leader in Cloud performance in the world as far as I know.

I really was hoping for something like Siri but Kinect isn't even close. One of the reasons for this is because Kinect is usable offline. Siri is not (since its Cloud based). MS is going to have to construct their own AI for Kinect and have to deal with what features are available while online and what are available offline. Google did it and they did it pretty well. Not as good as Siri but still very powerful from my experience with it.

Seeing MS is a software company, I seriously hope they get on this soon. Going from Siri (Cloud powered AI) to Kinect (hardware limited voice controls) feels like an utter joke.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#15WeirdShroomPosted 12/1/2013 12:51:50 AM
That probably would have been better had they not had to reverse their policies because of whiny babies.

Oh well, it'll do.
---
#16DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/1/2013 12:55:41 AM
Thats why the launch really doesn't tell us anything about Cloud just yet. The real big Cloud games aren't going to hit until 2015 or maybe will come with Halo 5 and Sunset Overdrive. I can assure you, whatever Titanfall does with Cloud, Halo 5 will aim to outdo them. Halo has always been the flagship online feature showpiece. In a few years, we are likely going to see some kind of Cloud designed AI voice recognition and massive overhauls to XBL.

Nothing is assured but you can expect Cloud to make some massive improvements to the overall experience and to many games.
---
#17WeirdShroomPosted 12/1/2013 12:58:06 AM
I want to see more of Sunset Overdrive so bad. The trailer was great, but the interview with the devs kind of explaining their vision got me hooked.

Sounds like Bulletstorm meets Crackdown, Online, with a great looking art style.
---
#18MCC1701Posted 12/1/2013 1:05:39 AM(edited)
Wow, DesperateMonkey I have never met someone here who I both disagree with but knows what Cloud processing actually is. My faith in this site is slightly restored.(to be fair I agree with MOST of what you say, just not all of it)

Anyway, you are VERY correct in bringing up MMOs and Siri in regards to cloud processing. However two major factors is that the adoption rate and investment in Siri is far ahead of what is currently being done on consoles. Comparing the voice recognition software of the Xbone or PS4 should make that obvious. It is good indication of what MAY come, but not for a while and probably not by evolving through the kinnect.

As for MMOs, I have always been a big fan of them but sadly you won't quite get the experience you hope to find in them. AIs in MMOs have traditionally been rather mundane to accommodate lag and because it is not running locally fully. I LOVE MMOs but the current model is not built to function like most single player games. IE there have been many FPS MMOs planned but have not actually been completed. The game I have my eye on right now to help make strides in the MMO field is Dark Souls. The way the game handles online by being a single player game first and online second has brought some amazing innovations that I hope to see utilized in future MMOs. From what I hear the squeal will have dedicated servers which will help bridge that gap between single player and MMO.

Now dedicated servers, which we have had in the past, is going to improve gaming. However the thing I find hilarious is that they are neither new or rare even now. Dedicated servers for sessions of short term gaming like in FPSs will become much more common and multiplayer will see a rise, but most people may not even notice and those that do won't attribute it to "the cloud."

One of the coolest things that is happening is that they are allowing game devs to use space on the servers for their own games to store data other than saves. This means better handling of user generated content, media, and a few fun gimmicks here and there. Expect to see cool stuff more often, but nothing revolutionary.

One slight misconception: MS invested a ton of money into Azure which is a server farm. MS will be using their own server farm for Xbox related things, but Azure is not about Xbox and the two should not be confused.

TLDR version: "The cloud" makes it easier for devs to do what they want involving dedicated servers and online storage, but doesn't bring anything new to the table.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#19WeirdShroomPosted 12/1/2013 1:06:50 AM
The dedicated servers aren't a big thing, it's more about the sheer amount of them MS has set up to use at their leisure that makes it sweet.

Do any current game companies have anything close to that at their disposal? I'd guess not, but you guys seem to know more about that stuff than I.
---
#20MCC1701Posted 12/1/2013 1:14:58 AM(edited)
WeirdShroom posted...
The dedicated servers aren't a big thing, it's more about the sheer amount of them MS has set up to use at their leisure that makes it sweet.

Do any current game companies have anything close to that at their disposal? I'd guess not, but you guys seem to know more about that stuff than I.

Again, MS has a lot of servers but it is all part of azure. They still have to pay for and maintain them same as always. Think of it like a hotel. Sure they have a lot of beds, but that doesn't mean if you stay there they are all for you.

And one of the biggest things about Azure is that is it there to make money by offering their services to other companies, big and small. A company like Sony probably has their own private server farm for PSN and the like, but MS has been offering really competitive prices for Azure, and many companies are dumping their own on-site servers in favor of them. Sony may do the same ironically.

Paulf001 posted...
Basically saving data on servers.

Yes, kinda. Think that plus dedicated servers and streamline it all a bit and that is "the cloud" which IMO is one of the vaguest buzzwords I have heard in a long time, especially one that actually has so little to do with "new" tech.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.