What exactly is cloud technology?

#61MCC1701Posted 12/2/2013 5:15:24 PM
archibald3 posted...
MCC1701 posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
Doesn't matter if player profiles is new. No one said Cloud technology is new. In fact, the argument is that Cloud technology is not new at all and has been fairly common so there is no surprise that the Cloud will add a lot to games. Fact is, Forza uses an advanced AI processing system through the Cloud, not that its new. But please, go ahead and list how much better console generated AI in racing games are in other games. Please list some!

Oh wait, its Viet0ne. It would be a miracle if he even understood what was being discussed here.

Dang, what crawled up your bum? Try not using personal attacks and pr buzz words, as well as not being overly optimistic and you'll probably have better discussions.

People who cling to extremes tend to agitate and alienate people. Hence why trolls and fanboys are equally hated.

This is one of the better discussions i`ve read on here recently and most of the "better" part was Monkey`s knowledge. Last thing the discussion needed was you kicking in to slap someones wrist.

Where have YOU been with all the ridiculous trolling posts and subjects on this board ? Oh yeah mostly right in the middle participating .

The reason you rarely see discussions like this is because it devolves into personal attacks. Pardon me for trying to prevent this topic from turning into an online shouting match.

Go ahead and point out one post where I "trolled." Me and monkey had a good discussion, and we see eye to eye on most things. The biggest difference being he tends to be a little optimistic on what MS has promised.

And @ monkey: about the article the other guy mentioned, that actually was circulated widely a few months ago by MS.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#62RemakeMePosted 12/2/2013 5:30:11 PM(edited)
This is what the Cloud is in terms of gaming lately Online and Singleplayer included. Another form of DRM. Save data wipes, broken missions/quests that cannot be played, unable to join game modes/lobbies/servers etc, hours of data loss when started back to zero while ranking up. Random created characters getting abomination style makeovers. Broken AI. Massive server side shutdown which makes it so you are unable to play online or even single player content for days even weeks. The future has already been beta tested and wont be anything special this generation.
---
"There's No absolutes in life. Only in Vodka"
#63Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 12/2/2013 5:33:25 PM(edited)
It enables hoverboards the ability to ride on ponds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowdrL6fvb4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
---
GT: Mvsevm of Skin
#64DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/2/2013 6:41:11 PM
An article which really contributes nothing to the discussion. His idea that Cloud either does what the article says or nothing at all is a complete joke.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#65Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/2/2013 7:10:12 PM
It is a thing Microsoft does not own.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#66Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 12/2/2013 7:14:44 PM
software that has been around for years that suddenly became a god to idiots when Microsoft started advertising it
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#67DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/2/2013 7:28:36 PM(edited)
Actually, Xbox One fans seem to know what Cloud is and how its been around for a long time. Its the idiot Sony fans who have no idea what it is and think its some kind of theoretical and mystical power drawn from the netherworld to make games look better.

Xbox One owners have been very realistic about what to expect from Cloud which is what Cloud has been delivering for decades; server side processing.

Titanfall is using this for physics, AI, dedicated servers and matchmaking, larger worlds and and so on. At the same time, offloading those computations to the server does in some way increase graphics due to those computations not taxing the console itself (such as all AI being handled client side) and certain graphical effects which are non-latency sensitive are handled client side (rag dolls, debris from destroyed objects, anything not affecting gameplay).

Will not make it look like a midrange PC but will certainly make it better.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#68archibald3Posted 12/2/2013 7:35:27 PM
MCC1701 posted...
archibald3 posted...
MCC1701 posted...
Doesn't matter if player profiles is new. No one said Cloud technology is new. In fact, the argument is that Cloud technology is not new at all and has been fairly common so there is no surprise that the Cloud will add a lot to games. Fact is, Forza uses an advanced AI processing system through the Cloud, not that its new. But please, go ahead and list how much better console generated AI in racing games are in other games. Please list some!

Oh wait, its Viet0ne. It would be a miracle if he even understood what was being discussed here.

Dang, what crawled up your bum? Try not using personal attacks and pr buzz words, as well as not being overly optimistic and you'll probably have better discussions.

People who cling to extremes tend to agitate and alienate people. Hence why trolls and fanboys are equally hated.

This is one of the better discussions i`ve read on here recently and most of the "better" part was Monkey`s knowledge. Last thing the discussion needed was you kicking in to slap someones wrist.

Where have YOU been with all the ridiculous trolling posts and subjects on this board ? Oh yeah mostly right in the middle participating .

The reason you rarely see discussions like this is because it devolves into personal attacks. Pardon me for trying to prevent this topic from turning into an online shouting match.

Go ahead and point out one post where I "trolled." Me and monkey had a good discussion, and we see eye to eye on most things. The biggest difference being he tends to be a little optimistic on what MS has promised.

And @ monkey: about the article the other guy mentioned, that actually was circulated widely a few months ago by MS.

I could give a rats - just sayin...I`ve wasted enough time reading bs on this board

What i will say is this; you may not consider yourself a troll [none do] but what i do notice is your one of those constantly taking the offensive against the X1 ,and when there so much trolling going on --at what point do you just become part of the problem ?

When an obvious obsessive troll creates a topic - your often right in there - and never [that i`ve seen] "trying to prevent an online shouting match" or slapping them on the wrist when their viewpoint seems to coincide with your own. Then there`s a semi-sensible discussion and you show up to slap Monkey on the wrist ?

I`m sure you don`t care whatsoever but i`m just sayin - where i`m sitting you start to look like one of these guys jumping in to bash the X1 at any given opportunity or lend your voice to the already sizable crowd of trolls and this looks like more of the same...
#69James_4ortPosted 12/2/2013 7:54:38 PM
Actually, Xbox One fans seem to know what Cloud is and how its been around for a long time. Its the idiot Sony fans who have no idea what it is and think its some kind of theoretical and mystical power drawn from the netherworld to make games look better.

Xbox One owners have been very realistic about what to expect from Cloud which is what Cloud has been delivering for decades; server side processing.

Titanfall is using this for physics, AI, dedicated servers and matchmaking, larger worlds and and so on. At the same time, offloading those computations to the server does in some way increase graphics due to those computations not taxing the console itself (such as all AI being handled client side) and certain graphical effects which are non-latency sensitive are handled client side (rag dolls, debris from destroyed objects, anything not affecting gameplay).

Well based on YOUR logic, your a Sony fan..

Because you are completely ignorant on how old "cloud technology" is. In fact, the ps3 had more dedicated servers for gaming than the 360, yet ever Xbox fanboy will claim xbl is better than the PSN. Also, the internet infrastructure is not capable of supporting real time processing. In which case physics, real time AI processing and large renders could not be supported, as latency and data throughput for those processes are 1000x slower/smaller then onboard The system. And your examples, rag doll effects/debris from destroyed objects, also require real time processing. Otherwise, the action to reaction time would be delayed (as in u grenade a target, and it takes a moment for it to feel the effects of the explosive).

Anything involving actual gameplay is unlikely to be sent elsewhere for processing.. But that does not mean that it cannot be used of AI. I believe Microsoft has purposely not expanded on when they said that it could be used for AI. The reality is that the servers will data mine, and rewrite AI codes that I game reactions seem different. You can see this in forza 5, where driver AIs are built in the "cloud" aka "server", and uploaded before a real time game actually starts. None of the AI reacts from the cloud, all from the console, where different parameters were uploaded.
---
~House of Red Leaves~
Let no1 misguide you. The true hearted will fall to the glory of eternity, and as the darkness arrises the light within will shine true
#70DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/2/2013 8:07:52 PM(edited)
James_4ort posted...

Well based on YOUR logic, your a Sony fan..

Because you are completely ignorant on how old "cloud technology" is. In fact, the ps3 had more dedicated servers for gaming than the 360, yet ever Xbox fanboy will claim xbl is better than the PSN. Also, the internet infrastructure is not capable of supporting real time processing. In which case physics, real time AI processing and large renders could not be supported, as latency and data throughput for those processes are 1000x slower/smaller then onboard The system. And your examples, rag doll effects/debris from destroyed objects, also require real time processing. Otherwise, the action to reaction time would be delayed (as in u grenade a target, and it takes a moment for it to feel the effects of the explosive). =

Not gonna read the rest of the post just because there is too much ignorance and misdirection here already.

1) XBL was better than PSN because of its services. PS3 had a total of 2 more dedicated server games than Xbox 360 in its lifetime. If you think thats a comparable metric then you are quite delusional. Its top games like Killzone 3, Uncharted 3, Last of Us and GTA6 all don't use dedicated servers.
2) No one said Cloud was new. Did I not just say it was decades old? Why are you stating what I stated and then pretending you are countering me? In this very topic, it is quite clearly stated that the difference here is the magnitude of Cloud server support on XBL (which it is now free). Whether PS3 was better before or not is irrelevant to this current situation.
3)You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. All those things are ALREADY done in a specific sector of gaming called MMOs. Ever heard of one? Yeah, its this magical thing that doesn't exist, where massive worlds, player counts and AI are processed on the server!

You are ignorant because

a)You think this stuff doesn't exist already
b)You have no idea what Respawn is referring to
c)You think that these processes are somehow done "through" your internet when they are actually calculated in the server and only tiny info packets are sent to represent the end result of that processing.

Respawn already said they are doing all those things. Tons of games ALREADY do those things.

Digital Foundry: Physics - what is tracked server-side and client-side?

Drew McCoy: There are various types. I think ragdolls are client-side as they don't have any impact on gameplay. If it has an impact on gameplay we'll want it to be server coordinated. If it's not, like shooting a Titan with a rocket and pieces of him fall off, we'll run it client-side.