What exactly is cloud technology?

#71Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 12/2/2013 7:09:26 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Not gonna read the rest of the post just because there is too much ignorance

So does anyone else think this quote should be added to the examples under the word irony in Websters dictionary?
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#72DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/2/2013 7:10:13 PM
Btw, its already confirmed that 100% of all AI is handled on the servers according the Respawn.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#73MCC1701Posted 12/2/2013 7:12:50 PM
James_4ort posted...
Actually, Xbox One fans seem to know what Cloud is and how its been around for a long time. Its the idiot Sony fans who have no idea what it is and think its some kind of theoretical and mystical power drawn from the netherworld to make games look better.

Xbox One owners have been very realistic about what to expect from Cloud which is what Cloud has been delivering for decades; server side processing.

Titanfall is using this for physics, AI, dedicated servers and matchmaking, larger worlds and and so on. At the same time, offloading those computations to the server does in some way increase graphics due to those computations not taxing the console itself (such as all AI being handled client side) and certain graphical effects which are non-latency sensitive are handled client side (rag dolls, debris from destroyed objects, anything not affecting gameplay).

Will not make it look like a midrange PC but will certainly make it better.

Well based on YOUR logic, your a Sony fan..

Because you are completely ignorant on how old "cloud technology" is. In fact, the ps3 had more dedicated servers for gaming than the 360, yet ever Xbox fanboy will claim xbl is better than the PSN. Also, the internet infrastructure is not capable of supporting real time processing. In which case physics, real time AI processing and large renders could not be supported, as latency and data throughput for those processes are 1000x slower/smaller then onboard The system. And your examples, rag doll effects/debris from destroyed objects, also require real time processing. Otherwise, the action to reaction time would be delayed (as in u grenade a target, and it takes a moment for it to feel the effects of the explosive).

Anything involving actual gameplay is unlikely to be sent elsewhere for processing.. But that does not mean that it cannot be used of AI. I believe Microsoft has purposely not expanded on when they said that it could be used for AI. The reality is that the servers will data mine, and rewrite AI codes that I game reactions seem different. You can see this in forza 5, where driver AIs are built in the "cloud" aka "server", and uploaded before a real time game actually starts. None of the AI reacts from the cloud, all from the console, where different parameters were uploaded.

I actually have to side with James_4ort on this one, what you described is what countless MS fans here have claimed the cloud is and is very wrong. You see, when MS described their online system as the cloud, they were vague on several points and said many things that made it sound like something else. For example, when they say it will offload processing, it is speaking of dedicated servers and how they run games ala MMOs. This was also the same time that they said that the cloud could give games the power of 4 xboxes, hence why it was relevant to the discussion.

I have to say, I am starting to wondering if you are simply a very smart troll, primarily because you A. constantly use MS's PR terms to describe their server system which further misleads and confuses those you talk to(I have seen it on two topics just today) and B. you just said it was the Sony fans who thought the cloud was all-powerful and the MS fans knew what it was. Give me a break, you should have seen this board when they first started talking about it, every other topic was about the "infinite power of the cloud" and the PS4 board just didn't give a crap. I'm sure there are MS fans who know what they are talking about and Sony fans who are confused, but not many.

For what it is worth, I was enjoying talking with you but you are really starting to show your true colors. I mean no offense, but this is getting a little out of hand.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#74DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/2/2013 7:51:51 PM
Pretty sure you are the stealth troll here. The 4x article has absolutely nothing to do with what I said and you just awkwardly threw it in there for no reason.

This isn't MS PR. its Respawn "PR". If you think they are lying, go ahead.

MMO features are nothing like 4x Xbox Ones. Good job trying to keep up the facade though. Your whole "PR term" BS is also hilariously sensitive. You are clearly a fanboy who doesn't want to use a term that is actually quite common to a feature that is already common. There is nothing wrong with using the term since its EXACTLY what it is. Saying dedicated servers is longer and completely ambiguous to a lot of people here whereas Cloud just means anything processed on the server.

Your second point is hilariously bad. Yeah, some people thought this was true WHEN MS initially announced this. Do you realize how long ago that was? That hasn't been an argument around here for a long long time.

Please don't even talk about true colors. I bash the Xbox One plenty. You apparently, never do and just want to point out posters who say anything positive. There are plenty of posts you could have picked up on in this topic that were very much overtly Sony propaganda fests but you ignore those. The posts about Cloud doing nothing by Sony fanboys outnumber ignorant Xbots at least 20 to 1 (and thats being generous since I haven't seen a single poster in the last month or more stating Cloud can do anything remotely like 4x power).
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#75FriedLemonPosted 12/2/2013 8:29:53 PM(edited)
MCC1701 posted...
Doesn't matter if player profiles is new. No one said Cloud technology is new. In fact, the argument is that Cloud technology is not new at all and has been fairly common so there is no surprise that the Cloud will add a lot to games. Fact is, Forza uses an advanced AI processing system through the Cloud, not that its new. But please, go ahead and list how much better console generated AI in racing games are in other games. Please list some!

Oh wait, its Viet0ne. It would be a miracle if he even understood what was being discussed here.

Dang, what crawled up your bum? Try not using personal attacks and pr buzz words, as well as not being overly optimistic and you'll probably have better discussions.

People who cling to extremes tend to agitate and alienate people. Hence why trolls and fanboys are equally hated.

Don't like it, don't respond. Viet0ne isn't exactly a stealth troll.

@FriedLemon

Oh that makes sense now... you are talking about some obscure article that no one is referencing in a discussion about what Cloud actually does! I mean how relevant is that, right? Instead of talking about what Cloud actually does, we should assume you were referencing some article about MS PR.

Are you dizzy yet?

Obscure? This is the best defense you can come up with? Lmao pathetic.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/microsoft-cloud-makes-xbox-one-four-times-more-powerful/0114948

Stop trying to spin it, I'm still waiting on a credible source for all the things you claim Forza does. Otherwise you're full of s***.

Edit: Oh wait, your defense has changed to "it's irrelevant" when anyone with a brain can see that it clearly is. First it's "obscure" then it's "irrelevant". Rofl
#76archibald3Posted 12/2/2013 8:34:25 PM
Pretty sure you are the stealth troll here. The 4x article has absolutely nothing to do with what I said and you just awkwardly threw it in there for no reason.

This isn't MS PR. its Respawn "PR". If you think they are lying, go ahead.

MMO features are nothing like 4x Xbox Ones. Good job trying to keep up the facade though. Your whole "PR term" BS is also hilariously sensitive. You are clearly a fanboy who doesn't want to use a term that is actually quite common to a feature that is already common. There is nothing wrong with using the term since its EXACTLY what it is. Saying dedicated servers is longer and completely ambiguous to a lot of people here whereas Cloud just means anything processed on the server.

Your second point is hilariously bad. Yeah, some people thought this was true WHEN MS initially announced this. Do you realize how long ago that was? That hasn't been an argument around here for a long long time.

Please don't even talk about true colors. I bash the Xbox One plenty. You apparently, never do and just want to point out posters who say anything positive. There are plenty of posts you could have picked up on in this topic that were very much overtly Sony propaganda fests but you ignore those. The posts about Cloud doing nothing by Sony fanboys outnumber ignorant Xbots at least 20 to 1 (and thats being generous since I haven't seen a single poster in the last month or more stating Cloud can do anything remotely like 4x power).

This was my point exactly and its thinly veiled trolling. Ignore outrageous , ridiculous , completely false assertions by Sony trolls and fanboys and cherry pick anything that might be positive and just relentlessly go at it , or the poster if that fails , or both.

I think there`s a grey area where somewhat moderate posters become trolls , unbeknownst to even themselves. If i had the inclination to go through and pull up a week or two`s posts by this guy it would read like a dissertation on anything and everything wrong with the X1. The troll himself often starts to see themselves as the "bearer of truth" in a sea of brainwashed Xbots but what they`ve really become is just blinded by their own point of view.
#77FriedLemonPosted 12/2/2013 8:45:45 PM(edited)
Cosmic_Diabetic posted...
Not gonna read the rest of the post just because there is too much ignorance

So does anyone else think this quote should be added to the examples under the word irony in Websters dictionary?
#78BushidoEffect3Posted 12/2/2013 8:48:52 PM
overhyped trash that's been around long before xbone.
---
http://i.imgur.com/TUf4vEL.gif
http://youtu.be/jhTaQizF4z4
#79midgarPosted 12/2/2013 9:09:01 PM
Out of curiosity, how will the cloud ever be fully implemented in games when online only isn't a
requirement for a console itself? Unless every future XB1 title is online only, it would seem to me that
it'll never be fully realized unless all future games require online. That really limits the potential of it...

Much like making Kinect factory bundled, I think MS probably should have kept the Online only,
always connected aspect of the XB1. At least then cloud computing could be properly implemented in
games without having to either make it online only or making it a half effort because not everyone will
be able to benefit from it. I think that really limits the development potential of the cloud. I'd like to
think most consoles will be connected to the internet anyway, so you're alienating a small majority of
their core fanbase by making the console online only. They could have removed DRM and still did that...
---
[This sig has been stabbed by Ray Lewis]
#80DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/2/2013 9:31:22 PM
FriedLemon posted...
MCC1701 posted...
Doesn't matter if player profiles is new. No one said Cloud technology is new. In fact, the argument is that Cloud technology is not new at all and has been fairly common so there is no surprise that the Cloud will add a lot to games. Fact is, Forza uses an advanced AI processing system through the Cloud, not that its new. But please, go ahead and list how much better console generated AI in racing games are in other games. Please list some!

Oh wait, its Viet0ne. It would be a miracle if he even understood what was being discussed here.

Dang, what crawled up your bum? Try not using personal attacks and pr buzz words, as well as not being overly optimistic and you'll probably have better discussions.

People who cling to extremes tend to agitate and alienate people. Hence why trolls and fanboys are equally hated.

Don't like it, don't respond. Viet0ne isn't exactly a stealth troll.

@FriedLemon

Oh that makes sense now... you are talking about some obscure article that no one is referencing in a discussion about what Cloud actually does! I mean how relevant is that, right? Instead of talking about what Cloud actually does, we should assume you were referencing some article about MS PR.

Are you dizzy yet?

Obscure? This is the best defense you can come up with? Lmao pathetic.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/microsoft-cloud-makes-xbox-one-four-times-more-powerful/0114948

Stop trying to spin it, I'm still waiting on a credible source for all the things you claim Forza does. Otherwise you're full of s***.

Edit: Oh wait, your defense has changed to "it's irrelevant" when anyone with a brain can see that it clearly is. First it's "obscure" then it's "irrelevant". Rofl

How does this change the fact that your article is irrelevant to what is being discussed?

Also, you need a SOURCE for Forza AI? Are you just closing your eyes and praying to some god? Just google drivatars or one of the dozens of REVIEWS that discusses drivatars... Should I also grab you a source that MMO games exist too?
---