What exactly is cloud technology?

#81DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/2/2013 10:33:36 PM
midgar posted...
Out of curiosity, how will the cloud ever be fully implemented in games when online only isn't a
requirement for a console itself? Unless every future XB1 title is online only, it would seem to me that
it'll never be fully realized unless all future games require online. That really limits the potential of it...

This actually makes zero sense. Games and consoles are two separate things. Its like saying how can online multiplayer work if a console doesn't have to be always online. How does FFXIV work since its only available online? Or DCUO? These games are all ran under cloud processing and requires 100% internet connection.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#82MCC1701Posted 12/2/2013 11:11:36 PM(edited)
DesperateMonkey posted...
Pretty sure you are the stealth troll here. The 4x article has absolutely nothing to do with what I said and you just awkwardly threw it in there for no reason.

You are speaking about what MS has said and claimed, from their servers to promises. As found in the link above, they also promised 4x the power of an Xbox One. The ONLY reason I bring it up is because you attacked someone else who brought it up when it was perfectly relevant to the discussion, which by the way I cannot understand why you are attacking so fiercely when you are both simply misinterpreting what the other says.

MMO features are nothing like 4x Xbox Ones. Good job trying to keep up the facade though. Your whole "PR term" BS is also hilariously sensitive. You are clearly a fanboy who doesn't want to use a term that is actually quite common to a feature that is already common. There is nothing wrong with using the term since its EXACTLY what it is. Saying dedicated servers is longer and completely ambiguous to a lot of people here whereas Cloud just means anything processed on the server.

I'm sorry, but what is this topic called? Apparently the TC must be a troll because EVERYONE knows what cloud technology is. It isn't like companies like Apple and Amazon were using the term solely for storage and MS decided to try to redefine the term to, as you say, anything processed on the server(which is an incorrect definition, as a more accurate definition would be "a network of offsite servers"). I have witnessed dozens of topics since MS brought it up that ask the question "what is the cloud?" and that was just with me hanging around here a month after E3 and now the console launches.

I have no problem calling offsite data storage the cloud, but why should I change what I call old tech just because MS decided to call it that and make it extra confusing for everyone? Besides, obviously it confuses people, at least right now. For now I call offsite data storage "the cloud" and dedicated servers dedicated servers.

Your second point is hilariously bad. Yeah, some people thought this was true WHEN MS initially announced this. Do you realize how long ago that was? That hasn't been an argument around here for a long long time.

Again, what is this topic called? There is also a topic on the PS4 board that both of us have posted in that also is asking about it. If I search "cloud" on this board 6/10 topics are asking about it.(that aren't just trolling or asking simple questions)

Please don't even talk about true colors. I bash the Xbox One plenty.

Not that I'm calling you a liar, but I've seen your name pop up a few times in the past week and none of it has been anti-Xbox in the least. I mean if you want to prove your point you can post a link to one of your posts or something, but so far in this topic I have not seen you do so.

You apparently, never do and just want to point out posters who say anything positive. There are plenty of posts you could have picked up on in this topic that were very much overtly Sony propaganda fests but you ignore those.

MCC1701 posted...
"Correct, but technically MS never said the part about sending calculations to and from your console, though they phrased it like that. Fanboys and non tech-savvy people ran with it, causing confusion."

While not what I would call extremely defensive, I have no problem correcting people who are incorrect, such as when someone was saying that MS straight out lied about how the cloud would work, and this is just above in this same topic.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#83MCC1701Posted 12/2/2013 10:56:37 PM
As a side note, I do tend to ignore ignorant and trolling posts no matter what side they are on, however when I am called out sometimes I choose to address it.

@archibald3: I do not know exactly what part of what I said was trolling, and when I offered for you to point out one instance you said you didn't care, then later proceeded to make another post further calling me a troll. I also find it interesting that you found mine and Monkey's discussion entertaining, yet say I am ruining this topic with trolling. If you wish to ACTUALLY call me out on something, instead of making baseless accusations, be my guest and go right ahead. Posting simply to tear someone down or agitate to get a response is the very definition of a troll, so if you do not consider yourself one, please do not do it.

If someone wants to have an actual discussion or has questions about topics covered here such as Azure or "the cloud" feel free to ask or even PM me, but this back and forth is getting out of hand.
---
#84MCC1701Posted 12/2/2013 11:16:53 PM(edited)
midgar posted...
Out of curiosity, how will the cloud ever be fully implemented in games when online only isn't a
requirement for a console itself? Unless every future XB1 title is online only, it would seem to me that
it'll never be fully realized unless all future games require online. That really limits the potential of it...

This actually makes zero sense. Games and consoles are two separate things. Its like saying how can online multiplayer work if a console doesn't have to be always online. How does FFXIV work since its only available online? Or DCUO? These games are all ran under cloud processing and requires 100% internet connection.

To be fair it is easy to see how someone can see it that way. MS originally touted that their console and their cloud would only work if the consoles were always online. When you change your original plans or contradict something you said prior, you cause confusion, and the best way to remedy that is by asking questions, like Midgar did here.

Edit: On the other hand this topic has spiraled away from the original post to the point it should be allowed to fade. If you reading this have questions, I recommend you create another topic instead of continuing this one.
---
#85FriedLemonPosted 12/2/2013 11:20:09 PM
How does this change the fact that your article is irrelevant to what is being discussed?

Also, you need a SOURCE for Forza AI? Are you just closing your eyes and praying to some god? Just google drivatars or one of the dozens of REVIEWS that discusses drivatars... Should I also grab you a source that MMO games exist too?

Lmao pathetic, it's now devolved into deflection has it? Either that or you still haven't learned how to read a sentence.

Forza AI is using Cloud to process AI routines, something that requires server side processing. Your comparison is beyond idiotic.

Source, Forza just creates profiles and uploads then downloads them. Kinda like...GASP TEKKEN.

If you can't come up with a source that Forza Drivatars are no more than just creating profiles, then uploading and downloading those profiles then it's the same thing as Tekken and you're full of s***.

And no, how is a direct quote from MS on what the cloud can do for the X1 irrelevant? So sad that "irrelevant" is the best defense you can come up when everyone can see you've got nothing.
#86WeirdShroomPosted 12/2/2013 11:26:00 PM
GOD, you people are lazy.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/drivatar/forza.aspx

There! Took me five seconds.
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#87MCC1701Posted 12/2/2013 11:33:41 PM(edited)
FriedLemon posted...
How does this change the fact that your article is irrelevant to what is being discussed?

Also, you need a SOURCE for Forza AI? Are you just closing your eyes and praying to some god? Just google drivatars or one of the dozens of REVIEWS that discusses drivatars... Should I also grab you a source that MMO games exist too?

Lmao pathetic, it's now devolved into deflection has it? Either that or you still haven't learned how to read a sentence.

Forza AI is using Cloud to process AI routines, something that requires server side processing. Your comparison is beyond idiotic.

Source, Forza just creates profiles and uploads then downloads them. Kinda like...GASP TEKKEN.

If you can't come up with a source that Forza Drivatars are no more than just creating profiles, then uploading and downloading those profiles then it's the same thing as Tekken and you're full of s***.

And no, how is a direct quote from MS on what the cloud can do for the X1 irrelevant? So sad that "irrelevant" is the best defense you can come up when everyone can see you've got nothing.

I would make a comment about "calming down" but apparently that upsets people and is trolling :P

While very similar, the primary difference is that you can upload your profile while your friend is offline, and your friend can download it while you are offline. This is pretty nice, and while not the first to allow this type of storing of non-save data, it is a good thing.

WeirdShroom posted...
GOD, you people are lazy.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/drivatar/forza.aspx

There! Took me five seconds.

I don't want to criticize, but after reading over that I don't quite see how this is different from previous AIs built after players(though it does sound more advanced and integrated) but I didn't see anything referring to it being uploaded to MS's cloud servers to be downloaded by others, it merely mentions transferring it via USB. Did I miss something?
---
#88WeirdShroomPosted 12/2/2013 11:30:08 PM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/how-forza-5-and-the-xbox-one-use-the-cloud-to-drive-machine-learning-ai/

Here's a more specific one.

DO you not know how to google?

Your lack of Googliness is astounding. ;D
---
#89MCC1701Posted 12/2/2013 11:43:57 PM(edited)
WeirdShroom posted...
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/how-forza-5-and-the-xbox-one-use-the-cloud-to-drive-machine-learning-ai/

Here's a more specific one.

DO you not know how to google?

Your lack of Googliness is astounding. ;D

Interesting, so they are collecting data to help build more human-like AIs. I like that, though I don't know exactly what that has to do with drivitar or how it uses the cloud.

Edit: I don't want to discourage you with my comments on your links, please keep posting them, if there is a a major way drivitar uses the cloud beyond downloading and uploading I'd like to know, plus the above link was actually quite interesting.
---
#90WeirdShroomPosted 12/2/2013 11:41:51 PM
SMH

I find it very interesting the idea of using this technology in shooters though, that could be very interesting. Especially having your Shootatar playing matches and gaining points while you're not playing.
---