Curious as to what you guys think of Ryse

#11Foxx3kPosted 12/1/2013 4:39:58 PM
I think it's fun but ...

- Not being able to cancel into a dodge doesn't add challenge, it adds frustration. When every single action in the game cancels any other action - EXCEPT dodging - it comes across as sloppy rather than sophisticated.

- That said, the game IS missing a layer of sophistication. I thought that it was going to come about at the end when you fight Praetorians, but instead it's just "dodging," which ... see above.

- Needs more weapons. And a real combo system. And variety. You see, in the game, each enemy essentially has a "combo" that is effective against them. The game never explicitly tells you this. But it makes the game feel more like a rhythm game than an action game. Which is ... interesting, but kind of boring.

- The game is absolutely gorgeous. Who cares if it renders in 900p. The game is designed to run in 900p, hence, minimal jaggies, wonderful textures, superb upscaling ... the game is an absolute treat to look at. ......... Until the horrendously compressed prerendered cut scenes play, which contain disgusting amounts of color banding and artifacting.

I deeply wish that I could really enjoy Ryse. I don't think it's horrible, but it is sorely lacking.

Oh, and the freemium-tier microtransactions are thoroughly unacceptable.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#12BIGGESTPS3FAN(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 4:46:44 PM
Thanks, guys. I think I will hold off for now. While I am very interested in it, I will hold out until it is 20-30 dollars.

TheBorderCollie posted...
It's a good game....but I'd just wait for a price cut.

It is indeed one hell of a looker, though. It shoots down all of the claims that the XB1 isn't capable of truly amazing graphics (though Forza 5 does that, too).

I disagree with Forza doing that. Maybe it's because I am use to PC gaming, but Forza is filled with jaggies on the vehicles, which is the main thing I want to look good, lol. Love the game, but wish they would have worked on the AA a bit more.
---
Intel i5-3570k | Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 x2 | 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Corsair 500R | Corsair HX750 | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD
#13stekim40Posted 12/1/2013 4:48:20 PM
Great graphics, horrible horrible game..
---
With Kinect you are the tool, Microsoft's tool. Now dance puppet, dance!
#14Masterchief5525Posted 12/1/2013 4:49:14 PM
I'm finding it quite fun, yes combat may get a bit repetitive but its fun to play nonetheless
---
i7-4770k | AMD Radeon HD 7990 | 8gb G.Skill 1600mhz | 2TB WD HDD | Asus Z87-A