Geek Squad protection for XBOX One

#1silversaintzPosted 12/1/2013 5:58:57 PM
I got this geek squad protection plan for xbox one on the night of thanksgiving as they were selling it as a bundle package, is it really worth it? did any one get it? please let me know as I am planning to cancel it
#2Fade2black001Posted 12/1/2013 6:00:12 PM
If you have to pay for it I would cancel it.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#3chickenlardPosted 12/1/2013 6:15:31 PM(edited)
Nope, I bought a laptop and got there warranty, about 20 days later, the screen went black and wouldn't come back on, I brought it to them, and they said that I somehow made my laptop screen go black and wouldn't give me a new laptop, I had to go with the manufacturer warranty. apparently one of the wires that made the screen work got loose and got disconnected with the connecter cable or something.
#4sweetbloodsPosted 12/1/2013 6:15:26 PM
Geek squad is really bad. I took my computer in because I had a software issue making it impossible to use, I got it back 2 days later with a broken hard drive. They tried to make me pay for what the guy admitted to doing. MS has a good basic warranty for the system, if your worried buy an extended one from them.
---
All that we see or seem is a dream within a dream-Edgar Allan Poe
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone elses life.-Steve Jobs
#5LostOdyssey17Posted 12/1/2013 8:24:15 PM
I work for BBY and Id say no. While it IS nice to have an extended plan on it, the GS in my experience sucks (the phones), granted GS doesnt even work on the phones. GS is very very costly for the company and you bet theyll fight ya on making a claim if its manufacturer warranty stuff.
---
I'm not one of you, I'm not a nerd. I talk to women. Be jealous.
#6BrownGottiPosted 12/1/2013 8:30:35 PM
I got the extra warranty at BB for my X1 and I have had nothing but positive accounts with my previous warranty protections for TVs and my electric shaver. I guess I'm lucky to have a good best buy near me.
#7krillin4553Posted 12/1/2013 8:46:53 PM
It depends on where you go honestly. I'm a repair agent for our Geek Squad. Our's is actually pretty nice. We have mostly competent people, but we've hired a few people that I really question how they even managed to get an interview. I've been to several other GS precincts and honestly, some are really bad. I have to blame bad management on those, the people who work for Geek Squad have no involvement in the hiring process. Hell, when our supervisor left, we got a replacement that doesn't even have A+ certification.

On topic though. The GSP on it probably won't be worth it right now if it breaks, MS will fix it for free under manufacturers warranty plus give you a free game. But it's also 29.99 for our plan for two years. If you do get it, it's renewable and we'd just replace the broken Xbox. I've had people come in with smoke-damaged PS3's that ended up getting replacements every few months because of how bad the smoke was in their house. Iunno, for 29.99, it's not a bad plan and it'll get replaced. But. No free game. So, I wouldn't use it really unless your Xbox was out of manufacturer and they did it like 360 where they charged you 100 for repairs on it. Free game though at least for now plus they ship it out the same day you order it. Pretty awesome.
---
XBL/PSN: DocDrazen
PC: i7-3770k at 4.6 ghz, Corsair H60, Intel 180 GB SSD, GTX 550 Ti, GTX 260 for PhysX, 16 GB G. Skill Ripjaws
#8necro00Posted 12/1/2013 8:54:38 PM
chickenlard posted...
Nope, I bought a laptop and got there warranty, about 20 days later, the screen went black and wouldn't come back on, I brought it to them, and they said that I somehow made my laptop screen go black and wouldn't give me a new laptop, I had to go with the manufacturer warranty. apparently one of the wires that made the screen work got loose and got disconnected with the connecter cable or something.

well the manufacturer warranty is first, after that year GS takes over
#9silversaintz(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 8:05:03 PM
Thanks all for the replies, FYI BBY 2 YR warranty costed me 89.99, I think am going to get it cancelled for now
#10Merc123Posted 12/2/2013 8:08:59 PM
I remember i took my laptop in because it stopped booting up out of nowhere. They did all these tests and couldn't find out what was wrong with it and then they told me if i spent 200 dollars on some geek squad thing then they could tell me what was wrong with it. I was pretty mad they wasted a good deal of my time. After that i don't have a very high opinion of Geek Squad, especially in my area.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v2 / PSN - Brokeslimjim