Kinect is amazing and will change gaming forever!!!1!

#11Thewinner14Posted 12/2/2013 8:17:12 AM
I'm aware of the virtual boy, technology has advanced far past that now, which is why I specified the occulus rift....
---
6 Bible translations, 1 app: http://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/
#12HorridhalPosted 12/2/2013 8:20:07 AM
touyamizrahi posted...
Thewinner14 posted...
The next big thing for gaming is virtual reality with devices like the occulus rift

Technically we had VR gaming once already....I just hope they improve it by a minimum factor of 10000% lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy

It was fun when I tried the display model when I was a kid. Thought the idea of the headset was epic to be able to lay down to game even without having to twist your neck to see a tv sideways.

Bit off topic but playing BF4 as a recon and using my laser designator reminds me of playing that thing. Man that was a waste of money and time lol.
---
Analogy of gamefaqs: Islands of logic floating in a sea of idiocy and childishness.
Have a real point please. Don't use personal attacks or emotions.
#13touyamizrahiPosted 12/2/2013 8:22:23 AM
Thewinner14 posted...
I'm aware of the virtual boy, technology has advanced far past that now, which is why I specified the occulus rift....

But I haven't actually touched the OR headset, have you? Can't really say how comfortable it'll feel. It looks promising (lord knows I want VR gaming in this life time) but without actually touching a demo of it, it's still only wishful for me.

The VB I've actually got to touch and play on. I know how that system felt hands on and the concept was great, it just sucked for playing :(. VR is a wait and see thing sadly :(, because it all depends on how it's implemented, maintained, updates, etc. to see if it's viable for large market gaming for the average consumer to purchase and use continually.
---
Thinking about what to put here. Open to ideas :).
PS4 vs XBOne my joy since E3 <3
#14InjusticeRebornPosted 12/2/2013 8:25:57 AM
LMFAO at the first two replies.

See, during my PS2 days on their official forums, when the Wii was announced, I VIVIDLY remember the Wii getting the crap ripped out of it. Massively. Years down the line... the PS wand comes out.

Please you two (and any other who may have replied like you), don't single out MS fans as having double standards, when it was both sides laughing at the idea the Wii tried.

But, you know, I remember when the first Kinect came out, and it was "lol. voice controls, what's the point when I can use a controller?", and now it's "lol, we can use voice commands without a camera!"
#15CyberneticRatPosted 12/2/2013 8:34:42 AM
1. Why IN GAMING does a camera need to see your heartbeat?

Why not? There's a lot of things a game can do if it can read the player. Imagine a horror game where it subjects you to different horrible things and then the game focuses its horror on the one thing that spikes your heartbeat the most i.e your phobia? That's called innovation.

2. Voice Commands ONLY WORK if the receiver understands (look up online the amount of people having problems because of accents) so how is this a positive for gaming EVERYWHERE when the simple thumb movement or wrist movement in the case of the wiimote that works everywhere regardless of ethnicity, culture, etc?

What about cripples? What about people with bad wrists? Wiimote doesn't work for them so you can't say wiimote works for EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE. Does that make the wiimote the most horrible thing invented by Man? No and neither is the Kinect. I've seen Australians use the Kinect just fine. Voice commands can be improved over time. If everyone just dismisses everything that doesn't work perfectly the first time, say goodbye to cars, cellphones, computers and Steam. That's called innovation.

3. A universal remote has been doing this for decades. Most people aren't so lazy that they can't grab the remote that's probably already within arms reach. Innovation = helping a country with the highest obesity % to be even more lazy?

So what if something has been done for decades? My radio has been spitting out music for decades. Does that make the iPod completely obsolete? Should we get rid of elevators, escalators and automatic doors as well? So if you use those, you're a lazy and obese person? You call it laziness. I call it convenience. That's called innovation.

4. The 3DS reads game and promo codes already. Congrats to MS stealing more of their innovation?

Everything in the world is a copy of something. So if your neighbor's house had electricity, you wouldn't want electricity as well since that would be copying? You'd want to use steam power? Coal? Firewood? No, you'd copy your neighbor to make your life better. That's called innovation.

5. Every wireless controller turns off after not being used for X amount of minutes (usually set in the system config of said system). So this doesn't seem like a plus if I go to the fridge, grab a drink and am only gone for like 10 seconds and have to turn my controller on every time I come back. That's more of an annoyance.

It doesn't turn your controller off. It just goes into a low-power state. You know, like the Xbox One itself. That's called innovation.

6. It signs you in when looking at your face...ooooo! I turn on any of my current consoles (Wii, WiiU, PS3, X360) and they all sign into my account automatically without the need of facial recognition software. Why can't the XBOne, a "next-gen" system function like EVERY OTHER CONSOLE TO EXIST IN THE LAST DECADE sign in without the camera?

Of course it can sign you in without the camera. Unlike you, there are actually some people in the world who live with other people and have multiple accounts on a console. Just because it's not a nice feature for you, doesn't make it completely useless. Let's say you're playing couch coop with a friend and you want to switch controllers. Just switch and the Kinect automatically readjusts who is Player One and Player Two. That's called innovation.

I don't even know why I'm doing this since you'll just discredit what I have to say. Like playing chess with a pigeon. You can make all the best moves but it'll just knock over all the pieces and strut around like its won.
---
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
#16touyamizrahiPosted 12/2/2013 8:34:50 AM
InjusticeReborn posted...
LMFAO at the first two replies.

See, during my PS2 days on their official forums, when the Wii was announced, I VIVIDLY remember the Wii getting the crap ripped out of it. Massively. Years down the line... the PS wand comes out.

Please you two (and any other who may have replied like you), don't single out MS fans as having double standards, when it was both sides laughing at the idea the Wii tried.

But, you know, I remember when the first Kinect came out, and it was "lol. voice controls, what's the point when I can use a controller?", and now it's "lol, we can use voice commands without a camera!"

Actually...I was never ripping on the Wii ever. Feel free to dig up any and all of my old posts. I've had a Wii since launch and couldn't be happier because my kid loves the freaking thing and has a Wii U now.

And I say that first because I'm a huge PS fan. I think I've actually supported Nintendo more than Sony since I technically own more Nintendo products for gaming than I do Sony, but I play for Sony games/consoles myself. The XBOne is pretty much the first system I've ever ripped on really, and it's justified considering it really isn't innovative for GAMING.

It's a great media box if it worked as advertised. But it's a horrible gaming machine from a purely gaming perspective. And everything in my original post is valid even if it goes against your love of MS.
---
#17touyamizrahiPosted 12/2/2013 8:41:48 AM
CyberneticRat posted...
1. Why IN GAMING does a camera need to see your heartbeat?

Why not? There's a lot of things a game can do if it can read the player. Imagine a horror game where it subjects you to different horrible things and then the game focuses its horror on the one thing that spikes your heartbeat the most i.e your phobia? That's called innovation.

2. Voice Commands ONLY WORK if the receiver understands (look up online the amount of people having problems because of accents) so how is this a positive for gaming EVERYWHERE when the simple thumb movement or wrist movement in the case of the wiimote that works everywhere regardless of ethnicity, culture, etc?

What about cripples? What about people with bad wrists? Wiimote doesn't work for them so you can't say wiimote works for EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE. Does that make the wiimote the most horrible thing invented by Man? No and neither is the Kinect. I've seen Australians use the Kinect just fine. Voice commands can be improved over time. If everyone just dismisses everything that doesn't work perfectly the first time, say goodbye to cars, cellphones, computers and Steam. That's called innovation.

Everything in the world is a copy of something. So if your neighbor's house had electricity, you wouldn't want electricity as well since that would be copying? You'd want to use steam power? Coal? Firewood? No, you'd copy your neighbor to make your life better. That's called innovation.

5. Every wireless controller turns off after not being used for X amount of minutes (usually set in the system config of said system). So this doesn't seem like a plus if I go to the fridge, grab a drink and am only gone for like 10 seconds and have to turn my controller on every time I come back. That's more of an annoyance.

It doesn't turn your controller off. It just goes into a low-power state. You know, like the Xbox One itself. That's called innovation.

6. It signs you in when looking at your face...ooooo! I turn on any of my current consoles (Wii, WiiU, PS3, X360) and they all sign into my account automatically without the need of facial recognition software. Why can't the XBOne, a "next-gen" system function like EVERY OTHER CONSOLE TO EXIST IN THE LAST DECADE sign in without the camera?

Of course it can sign you in without the camera. Unlike you, there are actually some people in the world who live with other people and have multiple accounts on a console. Just because it's not a nice feature for you, doesn't make it completely useless. Let's say you're playing couch coop with a friend and you want to switch controllers. Just switch and the Kinect automatically readjusts who is Player One and Player Two. That's called innovation.

I don't even know why I'm doing this since you'll just discredit what I have to say. Like playing chess with a pigeon. You can make all the best moves but it'll just knock over all the pieces and strut around like its won.

I'll agree that we can go back and forth on points all day (but I have to leave for a test at 11 and it's 10:38am for me right now) So i'll have to delete some random chunk of the original text to make room for this as only 87 characters were available at the start of this. But yes, I can and do admit each of us has merit to our arguments, because any argument I make, you'll just counter and discredit as well. The electricity thing gave me a good laugh, but not as near the level the pigeon part did. Freaked my cat out when I burst out laughing at that <3.

If you'd like me to write a counter to each point I can when I come back :)
---
#18CyberneticRatPosted 12/2/2013 8:45:47 AM
touyamizrahi posted...
If you'd like me to write a counter to each point I can when I come back :)

Don't bother. We both have better things to do. Just agree to disagree and we'll leave it at that.
---
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
#19InjusticeRebornPosted 12/2/2013 8:50:01 AM
touyamizrahi posted...

Actually...I was never ripping on the Wii ever. Feel free to dig up any and all of my old posts. I've had a Wii since launch and couldn't be happier because my kid loves the freaking thing and has a Wii U now.

And I say that first because I'm a huge PS fan. I think I've actually supported Nintendo more than Sony since I technically own more Nintendo products for gaming than I do Sony, but I play for Sony games/consoles myself. The XBOne is pretty much the first system I've ever ripped on really, and it's justified considering it really isn't innovative for GAMING.

It's a great media box if it worked as advertised. But it's a horrible gaming machine from a purely gaming perspective. And everything in my original post is valid even if it goes against your love of MS.

I didn't say you specifically. I am just pointing out that, during the PS2/Xbox days, when the Wii was announced, when I used to frequent the official PS.com forums, the Wii was a 'joke' to almost everyone.

I didn't go elsewhere (used to come here now and then, but only game specific boards), so I can't say the same for the Xbox fans (never had the original Xbox myself). But I remember it vividly, because I became interested in the Wii's idea from day one, and I had it pre-ordered day one as soon as. It was my first then next-gen console.

And "everything in my original post is valid" is somewhat debatable. The majority of it, I can agree with. But, motion gaming with a controller compared to motion gaming without is different in my opinion. Yes, they're both motion gaming at the end of the day, but the tech behind it is a different way of approaching it, and I would disagree with it being 'changed slightly'.

Put it this way, for the Wii's motion gaming to be on par with the original Kinect, you needed a Wii Remote and the Wii Fit board.