Why can the Xbox One not do "Steam like" sales without DRM?

#1Rainy_David1Posted 12/2/2013 9:29:50 AM
I always see people saying Microsoft would have Steam like sales if they had kept their original plan. Where do people get this BS? What aspect changed to make that not possible?

Is it because of retailers? They exist with or without DRM, so that's not it. Is it because used games can be played? If anything, that should encourage lower digital prices in order to compete with lower used game prices.

The argument doesn't make any sense, and makes it obvious that some people will defend the bad aspects of Xbox One even if they have nothing to back it up.
#2YumeOMiruPosted 12/2/2013 9:37:12 AM
Why have sale when the average mommy boy will use mommy´s credit card anyway? M$ knows that, and take advantage of it.
---
Having a dream is essential to live.
#3RybalPosted 12/2/2013 9:53:49 AM
Rainy_David1 posted...
I always see people saying Microsoft would have Steam like sales if they had kept their original plan. Where do people get this BS? What aspect changed to make that not possible?

Is it because of retailers? They exist with or without DRM, so that's not it. Is it because used games can be played? If anything, that should encourage lower digital prices in order to compete with lower used game prices.

The argument doesn't make any sense, and makes it obvious that some people will defend the bad aspects of Xbox One even if they have nothing to back it up.

They're basing it off of MS's statements after they changed their stance on DRM. There was no proof that they ever would have done that (and Steam's sales didn't start out where we know them - without competition, they never would have gotten to that point). Technically speaking, they COULD still do it, but we'll see if they do. I'd be really surprised if we see either console do it, to tell the truth.
---
To all trolls (and those that are tired of the trolling) - http://goo.gl/YVX7op
PSN: Rybal_81
#4Rainy_David1(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 9:57:10 AM(edited)
Rybal posted...
Rainy_David1 posted...

They're basing it off of MS's statements after they changed their stance on DRM. There was no proof that they ever would have done that (and Steam's sales didn't start out where we know them - without competition, they never would have gotten to that point). Technically speaking, they COULD still do it, but we'll see if they do. I'd be really surprised if we see either console do it, to tell the truth.

I don't think they will. I highly doubt Sony would either. Both will have some great sales, but not on the level that people were hoping for.
#5Ch3wyPosted 12/2/2013 10:00:10 AM
If they wanted to introduce a digital only system they should have just had Steam like sales in the first place.

People wouldn't have cared about the problems with DRM, just like what happened with PC gaming. Rarely will you find a PC gamer that only buys physical copies. Even then those are bound to have some form of DRM.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6CrystalKing5426Posted 12/2/2013 10:09:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9_BIENLH4
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Pokemon X FC: 2191-7658-4003
#7WeirdShroomPosted 12/2/2013 10:16:29 AM
Ch3wy posted...
If they wanted to introduce a digital only system they should have just had Steam like sales in the first place.

People wouldn't have cared about the problems with DRM, just like what happened with PC gaming. Rarely will you find a PC gamer that only buys physical copies. Even then those are bound to have some form of DRM.

Impossible, they would have to work up to that just like Steam had to. People loathed Steam when it first came out and it didn't have such great deals. It's a structure that gets better over time.
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#8rusty12000Posted 12/2/2013 10:17:12 AM
Consoles will never have sales like steam. Steam is quiet possibly the greatest Digital game service of all time, it destroys PSN and XBLA. And of course all the trolls will fight that and say stupid things like 'Sales on steam are why Developers don't make PC games' which of course is a crock of ****.

What people need to remember is for developers Steam sales >>>> Used game sales, because they are still making money off the sale unlike used games. If Sony and M$ was smart they would still do similar sales as steam, or at least make them cheaper then what you can get the game used. This alone would help fight against used game sales without having an insane uproar from the gamers.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#9Ch3wyPosted 12/2/2013 10:38:11 AM
WeirdShroom posted...
Ch3wy posted...

Impossible, they would have to work up to that just like Steam had to. People loathed Steam when it first came out and it didn't have such great deals. It's a structure that gets better over time.

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft is capable of putting out some sales.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#10AzaneAzerPosted 12/2/2013 10:48:09 AM(edited)
Microsoft is busy with all the negatives of DRM, like not having access to your service and jumping through hoops, and none of the positives, like sales.

Games for WIndows Live

The Console.

Microsoft needs to learn the difference between piracy and lost sales.

Someone pirating the game is only a lost sale if they were going to buy the game in the first place.

Someone who was going to buy the game but doesnt because they see the DRM hoops in front of them, is a lost sale.

From watching a lot of forums, I'd wager the latter is becoming more common.