Why can the Xbox One not do "Steam like" sales without DRM?

#11LeTHaL_PiRaTePosted 12/2/2013 9:46:43 AM
Well Microsoft wanted to originally, but the people who didn't understand how it worked focused on the negatives only. They didn't care that it would be cheaper and easier, they focused on not being able to have a physical disk and used games.

Microsoft also thought that Sony would join on the idea, but got no backing from Sony. So, without their competitors help to push this idea and the very vocal feedback from idiots they canned the idea and still use the same system that it's always been.

Would have been so much nicer if they would have kept the idea though. Oh well, stupid people are always the loudest.
---
GT: LeTHaL PiRaTe
Futa - You're gonna like what you see
#12goatthiefPosted 12/2/2013 9:47:48 AM
Because Microsoft cannot content with the power, skill, and popularity of the GLORIOUS GABEN.
---
Please visit 261, the gamefaqs politics board so you can become more informed about the process before voting.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics
#13ImVeryLaggyPosted 12/4/2013 4:08:34 AM
Not that i dont understand all this stream stuff... but my opinion is that there should be hard copys of games as there currently is...

Games u can lend to ur mates... or go into ur local second hand shop and pickup a bunch

... Also if microsoft or sony went digital it would put me and many many game store employees out of the job

(EB Games makes majority of its sales from preowned games)

Leave the digital to the master console... the pc

and leave the hard copys for the current and next gen gaming consoles (ps4/3...xbox360/1)
#14GotTruthPosted 12/4/2013 4:35:02 AM
LeTHaL_PiRaTe posted...
"Well Microsoft wanted to originally, but the people who didn't understand how it worked focused on the negatives only. They didn't care that it would be cheaper and easier, they focused on not being able to have a physical disk and used games."

OK well what will be the incentive for MS to sell "AAA" Title for 5-10 bucks like a STEAM sale? Cause they have NO competition to force them into a "price war" with their sales like STEAM does with GoG, ORIGINS, ect.....

"...... they focused on not being able to have a physical disk and used games."

Yes cause, you know, those are MAJOR F-ING NEGATIVES........

The fact you DO NOT consider them to be MASSIVE DEAL-BREAKING Negatives, is why we will NEVER see "eye-to-eye" on this........
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#15WeirdShroomPosted 12/4/2013 4:46:53 AM
That's odd, because they did have physical disks(that had drm attached, prettymuch exactly like PC) and "used" games was part of the market structure they were building to allow trading or selling your digital game with people or friends.

Technically you could have sold or bought the physical disc from a friend and transferred the rights of your digital copy. Sure, it added a few extra steps....but all the benefits far outweighed it.

The only people really against what they planned are either dumb and didn't understand it or just whiny and stubborn to progress.
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#16GotTruthPosted 12/4/2013 4:49:55 AM
rusty12000 posted...
"What people need to remember is for developers Steam sales >>>> Used game sales, because they are still making money off the sale unlike used games. If Sony and M$ was smart they would still do similar sales as steam, or at least make them cheaper then what you can get the game used. This alone would help fight against used game sales without having an insane uproar from the gamers."

USED game sales are NOT, LOST Sales to Developers.

IF you believe this, you do NOT understand MARKETS, SALES, or ECONOMICS in general.

The Developer is PAID for the sale of EVERY NEW GAME they sell.

They are NOT ENTITLED to ANYTHING form a USED game Sale, as they were ALREADY PAID for the SALE the FIRST TIME it was sold; Otherwise known through EVERY OTHER MARKET ON EARTH as the Lawful Doctrine of First Sale.

Frankly in the realm of USED games there is NOTHING to fix. The CURRENT model works FINE for Gamers and Developers alike. No-one is loosing ANY money on a USED sale. Hell the STUDIOS "fixed" their perceived USED game "problem" by requiring you to buy a "pass" like in Tekken Tag 2; IF you did not buy it new, you had to pay up an additional like 5-10 bucks to play online RANKED matches. THAT is a model that WORKS for the architecture of USED game sales. GameStop makes a few bucks, and the Dev makes a few more bucks with the pass IF the player wishes to compete in ONLINE play...... win/win. This Push to "ALL Digital" though is NOTHING but a thinly veiled attempt to take away the OWNERSHIP that comes with the disc as was re-affirmed by the USSC earlier this year when they ruled on The Lawful Doctrine of First Sale.....
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#17mcnichojPosted 12/4/2013 4:59:14 AM
Rainy_David1 posted...
Rybal posted...
Rainy_David1 posted...
I always see people saying Microsoft would have Steam like sales if they had kept their original plan. Where do people get this BS? What aspect changed to make that not possible?

Is it because of retailers? They exist with or without DRM, so that's not it. Is it because used games can be played? If anything, that should encourage lower digital prices in order to compete with lower used game prices.

The argument doesn't make any sense, and makes it obvious that some people will defend the bad aspects of Xbox One even if they have nothing to back it up.

They're basing it off of MS's statements after they changed their stance on DRM. There was no proof that they ever would have done that (and Steam's sales didn't start out where we know them - without competition, they never would have gotten to that point). Technically speaking, they COULD still do it, but we'll see if they do. I'd be really surprised if we see either console do it, to tell the truth.

I don't think they will. I highly doubt Sony would either. Both will have some great sales, but not on the level that people were hoping for.
I just bought Dark Souls on Xbox Live for $5, how is that not a Steam level sale?

The fact used games exist is a huge reason why they can't do these types of sales. Lets say they put Halo 5 up for $3. I see a lot of people buying the $3 digital Halo but then selling their disc for more.
Now more used copies are out there and will be cheaper than whatever the normal price of Halo 5 is and MS will not make those additional sales.
They can't do sales willy nilly like Steam does all the time because that drives down the overall value of their games and content on the platform, how much money do you guys think developers lose out on when no one is buying their $40 games and waiting for a $2.50 Steam sale?

I feel like this economics 101 and I never even took a economics coarse.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner. Day one PS4/X1. | Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy.
#18AarksharkPosted 12/4/2013 5:06:22 AM
mcnichoj posted...
how much money do you guys think developers lose out on when no one is buying their $40 games and waiting for a $2.50 Steam sale?.

I agreed with your post up until here. This doesn't even really fit with the rest of your post...
Steam Sales work because there are two types of purchasers on Steam for any game.

The people who buy it at launch because they want the game when it releases, or the people who are willing to wait several months for the steam sale price drop.

Skyrim was the top selling game when it launched on Steam (IIRC), and it still pops up in top selling games when it goes on sale.
---
Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam: Navllyk
My FUNK is all that of JUSTICE! I will be the first to grab the napkin, you will be as docile as the winter catfish!
#19WeirdShroomPosted 12/4/2013 5:14:52 AM
GotTruth, fools like you are why some developers are struggling or going out of business even when they make great games. Every used game sale is a sale taken away from those who made it. They get nothing from that. Used game sales cut actual sales in half. Every one of those used games is a sale taken from the hardworking people that made it and put in the pocket of companies like gamestop....or just greedily in your own pocket. Maybe i'm insane....but when people make excellent products, I like to support them. Not screw them out of it.

MS's system they were building would have gotten you fools your cheaper used games AND given the makers and publishers a piece. Even Gamestop themselves said it wouldn't have stopped them from selling used games....but of course it would have given them less profit and probably cost you more from them....which is good. That would encourage using the easier and cheaper method that gets you what you want at a better price and gives back to the creators. People like you with no understanding of this scraming about your sales rights make me sick. You're nothing but a child.
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#20AarksharkPosted 12/4/2013 5:31:17 AM
WeirdShroom posted...
Every one of those used games is a sale taken from the hardworking people that made it -

Uh. What.
No.
Stop.

The people who make the game are payed a salary.

Used game sales are at best denying a scrap of profit to the CEOs of the developing companies, but are more than likely only denying profit to the Publishers who control the copyright (see EA, Activision, etc.).
---
Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam: Navllyk
My FUNK is all that of JUSTICE! I will be the first to grab the napkin, you will be as docile as the winter catfish!