Why can the Xbox One not do "Steam like" sales without DRM?

#31leatheljPosted 12/4/2013 9:15:34 AM
Um xbox 360 has 50% to 75% off sales every week all the time on popular games hell they even have 85% off sales some times they Also have sales bundles some times. also I dont know why people act like ms dont have sales when they have them every week all the time. gold is also in
sale allot of times. Xb1 just came out sales will come. Somes times it may not be as good as steam sales sense steam is diffrent any way but ms still has good console sales for a good price some even beating steam. Do you have a xbox360 cause serously if you did you would already know this.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#32aray48Posted 12/4/2013 9:16:38 AM
WeirdShroom posted...
Aarkshark posted...
WeirdShroom posted...
Every one of those used games is a sale taken from the hardworking people that made it -

Uh. What.
No.
Stop.

The people who make the game are payed a salary.

Used game sales are at best denying a scrap of profit to the CEOs of the developing companies, but are more than likely only denying profit to the Publishers who control the copyright (see EA, Activision, etc.).

Tell that to a developer who is out of a job because most people bought their game used and nobody profited. Lack of profit effects everyone. Support the games you love, don't be a punk to save a couple bucks....doing it that way only makes is more likely you don't see another game in the franchise and those people are out of work. Less profit, less incentive to make. That's why most indie games are digital, if they were physical jackaninnies like you would put them out of business.

I use Steam Family Sharing with friends and play all their games for free. I am stealing from the developers too, mwuahahahahaha!

Also, I sold my car to a friend. That is money that Ford should have gotten, right?
#33chrish909Posted 12/4/2013 9:19:16 AM
Steam sells the games so cheap because people would just torrent them anyways.
---
This is why I'm never going to get a ps4
http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml
#34JanpeiPosted 12/4/2013 9:33:53 AM
GotTruth posted...
rusty12000 posted...
"What people need to remember is for developers Steam sales >>>> Used game sales, because they are still making money off the sale unlike used games. If Sony and M$ was smart they would still do similar sales as steam, or at least make them cheaper then what you can get the game used. This alone would help fight against used game sales without having an insane uproar from the gamers."

USED game sales are NOT, LOST Sales to Developers.

IF you believe this, you do NOT understand MARKETS, SALES, or ECONOMICS in general.

The Developer is PAID for the sale of EVERY NEW GAME they sell.

They are NOT ENTITLED to ANYTHING form a USED game Sale, as they were ALREADY PAID for the SALE the FIRST TIME it was sold; Otherwise known through EVERY OTHER MARKET ON EARTH as the Lawful Doctrine of First Sale.

Frankly in the realm of USED games there is NOTHING to fix. The CURRENT model works FINE for Gamers and Developers alike. No-one is loosing ANY money on a USED sale. Hell the STUDIOS "fixed" their perceived USED game "problem" by requiring you to buy a "pass" like in Tekken Tag 2; IF you did not buy it new, you had to pay up an additional like 5-10 bucks to play online RANKED matches. THAT is a model that WORKS for the architecture of USED game sales. GameStop makes a few bucks, and the Dev makes a few more bucks with the pass IF the player wishes to compete in ONLINE play...... win/win. This Push to "ALL Digital" though is NOTHING but a thinly veiled attempt to take away the OWNERSHIP that comes with the disc as was re-affirmed by the USSC earlier this year when they ruled on The Lawful Doctrine of First Sale.....

This guy LOVES his caps BUTTON.
---
The First to Fight: A NEW blog dedicated to combat sports, films, pro-wrestling, comics, and much more
http://thefirsttofight.wordpress.com/
#35SirLemontPosted 12/4/2013 10:10:04 AM
Master Alien posted...
SirLemont posted...
Master Alien posted...
There is no reason to believe that Microsoft and Sony won't have Steam-like sales down the road when digital distribution is as prolific on consoles as it is today on PCs. The thing that makes Steam-sales work is the amount of people who use Steam. Until Microsoft and Sony can expect the loss of revenue from dropping prices to be vastly outmatched by the increase in sales it wont happen. Thats the secret behind Steam sales, it has nothing to do with drm blah blah blah its simple volume vs price.
Say normally 100 would people buy a game at $60. At 75% off theyd now need 400 people to make the same amount of money. Steam has enough users to see that kind of spike in sales, Microsoft and Sony aren't there yet digital distribution wise.

Actually, there is a reason to believe Sony and Microsoft won't have the sales seen on Steam: precedence. Truth is, there is nothing that's stops both companies from having such sales. They merely don't do because they don't have to. It's a closed market with the only competition being physical media. Granted, PS+ and it's offering of free games is much better than whatever Microsoft is offering but still doesn't compare to what Steam is doing.

I can tell you've never passed a business class LOL
Its a win win situation for everyone involved from Microsoft down to the devs. In fact they are pretty much following in Steam's footsteps as Steams first sales were mostly bleh games which gradually improved into what it is today.

Oh I'm sorry...is THAT what you call "business"?

Allow me to explain. The reason Steam is so successful is because not only are they competing in an open PC market against other digital distributors, but they're also competing against torrent sites. They offer a service that's superior than just pirating it. THAT'S the key to their success.

Microsoft, on the other hand, doesn't have that scenario. Their market is closed. They are the ONLY distributor on their market. With that advantage, what incentive do they have to offer anything Steam-like? Absolutely none. What theu really tried to do was gain the benefits of the digital market (no used sales) without the incentives that garner consumer interest. That's not a win-win, it's a "have my cake and eat it too" thing.
#36HiddenRoarPosted 12/4/2013 1:53:19 PM
WeirdShroom posted...

Tell that to a developer who is out of a job because most people bought their game used and nobody profited. Lack of profit effects everyone. Support the games you love, don't be a punk to save a couple bucks....doing it that way only makes is more likely you don't see another game in the franchise and those people are out of work. Less profit, less incentive to make. That's why most indie games are digital, if they were physical jackaninnies like you would put them out of business.

Should have made a game worth keeping then.

Used games only exist if a NEW copy was already bought. If there is a saturation of used games, it must mean there was either not enough of a demand of the game in the first place (that people can wait for a used copy to become available instead of buying NEW) or that the game was ******/easy/short/no replay which made gamers return the product in mass (thus allowing others to buy Used in large amounts).

Most PS1/PS2 and Nintendo products are what developers should strive for. Most people still have their copies of Zelda OoT/MM, Mario, Final Fantasy, etc. because it's worth keeping thus having less supply available in the used game market.

What you see today is ****** games and remakes such as CoD, Asscreed, and Madden that, once the new version comes out, the old one is obsolete. Especially true with the former since the only thing worth playing on CoD is multiplayer and when the next iteration is out, everyone jumps ship = millions of copies selling for 5$ used.

And Used Games Practices are still better than piracy since, as stated above, a New copy had to have been bought to become Used (thus a sale) and only ONE person can have a copy at a time (if there are only 1 used copy of a wanted game with 2 people who want it, logic dictates one has to buy New or wait for that used copy to return (if ever) to the shelf) x the entire continental U.S.
While piracy has one person buying a game (if not used/renting) and giving it away to millions for free.
#37AarksharkPosted 12/4/2013 1:58:04 PM
rockman11_z posted...
I need to ask but doesn't Steam have DRM anyway (you can play Games from Steam offline for two weeks otherwise it gives you an error message "log in credentials expired").

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864969953572102601/#c864969953730401285

There isn't supposed to be a time limit on offline mode.

But yes, Steam is DRM. It's just streamlined enough and has enough incentives to accept it's presence.
---
Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam: Navllyk
My FUNK is all that of JUSTICE! I will be the first to grab the napkin, you will be as docile as the winter catfish!
#38SythisTaruPosted 12/4/2013 1:58:51 PM
Aarkshark posted...
rockman11_z posted...
I need to ask but doesn't Steam have DRM anyway (you can play Games from Steam offline for two weeks otherwise it gives you an error message "log in credentials expired").

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864969953572102601/#c864969953730401285

There isn't supposed to be a time limit on offline mode.

But yes, Steam is DRM. It's just streamlined enough and has enough incentives to accept it's presence.

I love steam, but Offline mode has never worked a single time for me.
#39Ch3wyPosted 12/4/2013 2:00:39 PM
Steam isn't DRM, Steamworks is DRM.

A lot of games in your Steam library you can play without launching the client.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#40coltsfan4ever31Posted 12/4/2013 2:01:29 PM
I seriously doubt MS would've ever had Steam like deals on games. This is the same company who tried to strip away consumer's rights with their horrible DRM policies. Them looking out for gamers with great online store deals is funny.
---
---"If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score?"-Vince Lombardi