Why can the Xbox One not do "Steam like" sales without DRM?

#41theshovellerPosted 12/4/2013 2:06:41 PM
coltsfan4ever31 posted...
I seriously doubt MS would've ever had Steam like deals on games. This is the same company who tried to strip away consumer's rights with their horrible DRM policies. Them looking out for gamers with great online store deals is funny.

But in order for them to make money off sales on their store, it would help them out.

I fully expect we'll eventually, in the future, at some point, see Steam-like sales. Probably not this generation, though. First, we need other retailers to sell the games digitally somehow. Right now, you can buy DLC codes and such from Gamestop, Amazon, etc. Hell, even current games that are available digital-only have some codes at Gamestop many times that you can buy with your credit or trade-ins or whatever. Eventually, I can see them selling more full-out digital games in addition to their physical games - at least online - and that's when you start seeing Microsoft, Sony, and all those places competing to see who can offer the best deal for the codes.

Hell, even with Steam, you have Steam selling things directly from their client, you have Gamefly, Green Man Gaming, and Amazon selling codes that get redeemed in Steam, and all that. I'd say it's only a matter of time - albeit, quite a bit of time.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#42UtterMoonPosted 12/4/2013 2:11:50 PM
I don't think they were ever going to do that. The big difference between Steam and what Microsoft was trying to do..is that Steam has a ton of competition (Origin, Amazon, etc.) , where Microsoft was looking to monopolize..and competition is why Steam has so many sales.
#43AarksharkPosted 12/4/2013 2:12:05 PM
SythisTaru posted...
I love steam, but Offline mode has never worked a single time for me.

It's worked for me the few times I've needed it to.

Obviously, it's still a work in progress...
---
Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam: Navllyk
My FUNK is all that of JUSTICE! I will be the first to grab the napkin, you will be as docile as the winter catfish!
#44Ch3wyPosted 12/4/2013 2:14:09 PM
Aarkshark posted...
SythisTaru posted...
I love steam, but Offline mode has never worked a single time for me.

It's worked for me the few times I've needed it to.

Obviously, it's still a work in progress...

Been in progress for 10 damn years. Aside from their games, Valve is such a ****ty software developer.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#45reincarnator07Posted 12/4/2013 2:16:24 PM
HiddenRoar posted...
And Used Games Practices are still better than piracy since, as stated above, a New copy had to have been bought to become Used (thus a sale) and only ONE person can have a copy at a time (if there are only 1 used copy of a wanted game with 2 people who want it, logic dictates one has to buy New or wait for that used copy to return (if ever) to the shelf) x the entire continental U.S.
While piracy has one person buying a game (if not used/renting) and giving it away to millions for free.

Hypothetical: A game gets resold 1m times, however only one person is playing it at a time. In terms of profit, how is this any different to 1m pirated copies? Either way, the publisher sees no sales or income. I'd argue that 1m pirated copies would be slightly better because at least more people would be playing and talking about the game, but that's merely the slightly shinier of 2 turds.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#46TheVillageIdiotPosted 12/4/2013 2:35:12 PM
I didn't read any of the posts past the first few but the "Steam pricing model" on a console is a pipe dream and a BS fantasy told by those that wanted to "back door" us with serious DRM.

Steam sales weren't there at the start of the service and the only reason they're so good now is due to a very important word --- competition. See there is Green Man Gaming, Amazon Digital, GOG, Gamefly, and other sites selling many of the same digital goods. The way to get (or keep) customers buying from you is simple when everyone offers the same service - lowest price wins! Thus the great sales on all those sites.

In a MS or Sony digital only world (years in the future) they would have no competition on pricing. If the only place you can buy is through the console or their website? No (or miniscule at best) discounts!

At least with the XB1 they were talking about keeping the illusion of a physical goods based market to start with. This was being done by having the ability to buy "unlock discs" from a store that simply would allow you to download the game. This would keep sales going on those physical discs for a while, but eventually they would want ALL sales to be online, digital, through their console or website. Over the course of a few years (before the next console for sure) they would stop allowing sales by anyone but them (or maybe a few select retailers who will "play ball" with sales being offered). And then they would have a monopoly on pricing, which is bad. Ask anyone who pays for cable where there is no alternative offered.
#47SirLemontPosted 12/4/2013 2:45:26 PM
reincarnator07 posted...
HiddenRoar posted...
And Used Games Practices are still better than piracy since, as stated above, a New copy had to have been bought to become Used (thus a sale) and only ONE person can have a copy at a time (if there are only 1 used copy of a wanted game with 2 people who want it, logic dictates one has to buy New or wait for that used copy to return (if ever) to the shelf) x the entire continental U.S.
While piracy has one person buying a game (if not used/renting) and giving it away to millions for free.

Hypothetical: A game gets resold 1m times, however only one person is playing it at a time. In terms of profit, how is this any different to 1m pirated copies? Either way, the publisher sees no sales or income. I'd argue that 1m pirated copies would be slightly better because at least more people would be playing and talking about the game, but that's merely the slightly shinier of 2 turds.

Wait a minute, so you actually think there's a copy of a game that's being returned, sold to and resold to GameStop one MILLION times? Is that your argument against used games? That's about as unrealistic as it is ridiculous.
#48GamerguymassPosted 12/4/2013 2:45:36 PM
reincarnator07 posted...
HiddenRoar posted...

Why does this only apply to video games? In no other market do we see people complaining about used sales. Should we burn down all the libraries because people can just rent a book out for free thus taking away of a new sale?

I have to wonder though, are all of you people that complain about used game sales really record company execs in disguise or their children? You assume that ever single used sale is a lost new sale. This is just simply not true, and never has been, and never will be. When there is a vast difference in price there is nothing wrong with used games.

Are the people that buy a game a week after launch used for 55 bucks instead of new for 60 a problem? Yes. These are the people that are ruining the used game market by getting people to whine about it and espouse entitlement. But if you are trying to tell me I should spend 50 bucks for a brand new copy of a four year old game instead of 10 bucks for it used then you can go screw.
---
Now Playing: "The Hunt for the Two Missing Nintendo 64 Games"
An expansion came out, but I'm still a third of the way through!
#49SythisTaruPosted 12/4/2013 2:46:52 PM
coltsfan4ever31 posted...
I seriously doubt MS would've ever had Steam like deals on games. This is the same company who tried to strip away consumer's rights with their horrible DRM policies. Them looking out for gamers with great online store deals is funny.

The DRM was supposed to protect game designers and the value of gaming as art as a whole. They care more about gaming than the vast majority of you do.
#50reincarnator07Posted 12/5/2013 1:05:16 AM
SirLemont posted...
reincarnator07 posted...
HiddenRoar posted...

Wait a minute, so you actually think there's a copy of a game that's being returned, sold to and resold to GameStop one MILLION times? Is that your argument against used games? That's about as unrealistic as it is ridiculous.

Hypothetical was literally the first word I posted. Fine, lets change it up. A game sells 500k copies on PS4 and PC (ignoring the licensing fees for PS4 for the sake of my point). The PS4 version racks up another 500k sales while the PC version gets pirated 500k times. The publisher will see identical sales figures from both platforms. Which is worse?
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero