Why can the Xbox One not do "Steam like" sales without DRM?

#51reincarnator07Posted 12/5/2013 1:23:53 AM
Gamerguymass posted...
reincarnator07 posted...
HiddenRoar posted...
And Used Games Practices are still better than piracy since, as stated above, a New copy had to have been bought to become Used (thus a sale) and only ONE person can have a copy at a time (if there are only 1 used copy of a wanted game with 2 people who want it, logic dictates one has to buy New or wait for that used copy to return (if ever) to the shelf) x the entire continental U.S.
While piracy has one person buying a game (if not used/renting) and giving it away to millions for free.

Hypothetical: A game gets resold 1m times, however only one person is playing it at a time. In terms of profit, how is this any different to 1m pirated copies? Either way, the publisher sees no sales or income. I'd argue that 1m pirated copies would be slightly better because at least more people would be playing and talking about the game, but that's merely the slightly shinier of 2 turds.

Are the people that buy a game a week after launch used for 55 bucks instead of new for 60 a problem? Yes. These are the people that are ruining the used game market by getting people to whine about it and espouse entitlement. But if you are trying to tell me I should spend 50 bucks for a brand new copy of a four year old game instead of 10 bucks for it used then you can go screw.

They're ruining (I'm sure there's a more appropriate word) the used games market because they barely save any money on their purchase but have a massive impact on the sales figures. After a couple of months, I don't think the publishers care that much, at least on consoles.

Your last sentence pointed out the real problem: pricing. Many games cost too damn much for what they offer. They also take forever to come down in price for new copies. I felt like I paid too much for Metal Gear Rising considering the length of the game despite the fact that I enjoyed it a lot. On the other hand, I'm sure many people feel they got a bargain with GTA5 even at full price considering just how much they got out of it. If publishers priced their games more appropriately, I doubt people would feel the need to buy used games to keep their hobby affordable.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#52CaIiber345Posted 12/5/2013 1:28:03 AM
Xbox Live is a closed market. There is no direct competition. Why would Microsoft sell a game digitally on their own marketplace for $5.00 when they can sell it for $45.00 and people will buy it because there is no immediate digital alternative?

They will never change their pricing models within Live.
---
Playstation 4, Xbox 360
"People like us...we are all misfits living in a world on fire." Kelly Clarkson
#53SaintFC_Posted 12/5/2013 1:56:20 AM
CaIiber345 posted...
Xbox Live is a closed market. There is no direct competition. Why would Microsoft sell a game digitally on their own marketplace for $5.00 when they can sell it for $45.00 and people will buy it because there is no immediate digital alternative?

They will never change their pricing models within Live.

Pretty much this, MS know they have you by the short and curly's and as there is no competition to drive prices down they'll most likely stay high.
---
'The average age of the UK gamer is now 35'
#54JTfirePosted 12/5/2013 3:15:16 AM
HiddenRoar posted...
WeirdShroom posted...

Tell that to a developer who is out of a job because most people bought their game used and nobody profited. Lack of profit effects everyone. Support the games you love, don't be a punk to save a couple bucks....doing it that way only makes is more likely you don't see another game in the franchise and those people are out of work. Less profit, less incentive to make. That's why most indie games are digital, if they were physical jackaninnies like you would put them out of business.

Should have made a game worth keeping then.

Used games only exist if a NEW copy was already bought. If there is a saturation of used games, it must mean there was either not enough of a demand of the game in the first place (that people can wait for a used copy to become available instead of buying NEW) or that the game was ******/easy/short/no replay which made gamers return the product in mass (thus allowing others to buy Used in large amounts).

Most PS1/PS2 and Nintendo products are what developers should strive for. Most people still have their copies of Zelda OoT/MM, Mario, Final Fantasy, etc. because it's worth keeping thus having less supply available in the used game market.

What you see today is ****** games and remakes such as CoD, Asscreed, and Madden that, once the new version comes out, the old one is obsolete. Especially true with the former since the only thing worth playing on CoD is multiplayer and when the next iteration is out, everyone jumps ship = millions of copies selling for 5$ used.

And Used Games Practices are still better than piracy since, as stated above, a New copy had to have been bought to become Used (thus a sale) and only ONE person can have a copy at a time (if there are only 1 used copy of a wanted game with 2 people who want it, logic dictates one has to buy New or wait for that used copy to return (if ever) to the shelf) x the entire continental U.S.
While piracy has one person buying a game (if not used/renting) and giving it away to millions for free.

With big name popular games is that most retailers offer you additional trade in value if you trade it in within a certain time frame (usually 2 weeks) which encourages players to rush through it and not do any of the side or additional things devs add otherwise they feel like they are missing out since if they miss that 2 week trade in window they are losing 20 bucks on the trade in
so sure that first week they sell a few new copies then after that everytime a person tries to buy a new copy the clerk offers them a used copy cheaper most people are just like yeah cool cheaper i once had to tell a clerk to @#&$ off because he was trying to push the used copy of a game on me and wouldnt take no for an answer

used copies = more profits for retailers = devs needing to do things like day 1 DLC and microtransactions to keep a float
new copies = more money for devs = more games bigger games less day one DLC and microtransactions since they are making enough money to pay for it all from game sales alone

The last used game i bought was kingdoms of amalur an amazing game from a studio that went under mostly that was poor business decisions from the owner however i cant help but feel that maybe if i and a lot of other people had have bought new versions of it then maybe they would have got their stuff together and right now id be playing KoA:2 on my xbone
---
this is my new sig
#55JTfirePosted 12/5/2013 3:30:13 AM
Gamerguymass posted...
reincarnator07 posted...
HiddenRoar posted...

Hypothetical: A game gets resold 1m times, however only one person is playing it at a time. In terms of profit, how is this any different to 1m pirated copies? Either way, the publisher sees no sales or income. I'd argue that 1m pirated copies would be slightly better because at least more people would be playing and talking about the game, but that's merely the slightly shinier of 2 turds.

Why does this only apply to video games? In no other market do we see people complaining about used sales. Should we burn down all the libraries because people can just rent a book out for free thus taking away of a new sale?

I have to wonder though, are all of you people that complain about used game sales really record company execs in disguise or their children? You assume that ever single used sale is a lost new sale. This is just simply not true, and never has been, and never will be. When there is a vast difference in price there is nothing wrong with used games.

Are the people that buy a game a week after launch used for 55 bucks instead of new for 60 a problem? Yes. These are the people that are ruining the used game market by getting people to whine about it and espouse entitlement. But if you are trying to tell me I should spend 50 bucks for a brand new copy of a four year old game instead of 10 bucks for it used then you can go screw.

no other industry is used sales so prevalent and most over industries have multiple sources of income movies usually make their money back at the cinema alone (unless they flop). books have quite a big used market but that is mostly older books the market for books that are a few weeks old is not that big at least in my experience. music faces a lot of problems from piracy a similar problem but they make a lot on concerts and license fees (radio and TV/movies)
Games had a single source of income people buying the game in my experience the same people that complain about devs wanting to stop used game sales are the same people that complain about day 1 DLC online passes microtransactions etc yet these are a reaction from devs that are sick of retailers pushing used games and trade ins that steal profits away from the people that make them
when was the last time you went to buy a book/dvd/cd and the clerk said hey you can buy this used copy for 5 bucks less
before I bought both my PS4 and xbone EB games notified me atleast a half dozen times for each that if i traded in stuff towards either id get X% bonus trade in credit
anytime i go into EB games and buy a game they try and push a used copy on me once at a saving of 35 cents
The problem with used games isnt you selling your copy to your friend/neighbour/stranger its places like gamestop and EB games that push the trade in used game cylce so hard that it damages the industry
---
this is my new sig
#56N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 12/5/2013 3:31:14 AM
I would imagine from a distribution cost that uploading games to servers to download are cheaper than putting them on discs and shipping them all over the world.

Just my guess. It wasn't going to be all digital, but the way the disc based games were going to be, buying a disc based game was almost pointless.

People will argue there would be no sales because of greed, some people will argue there would have been.

But as far as why? The reason I specified makes sense To me.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5