What did this Microsoft rep means?

#1cocaiserPosted 12/2/2013 12:06:03 PM
Hey there

Recently over Thanksgiving dinner, I was talking to my cousin who work for X company (Can't say which company because it would endanger his job) that does one of the certifications for the Xbox one. He was telling me that the microsoft rep that came to his place said the xbox one was running 4 OS during its normal operation. When questioned further, the rep did not elaborate on what what those OS's were due to how big of a deal the xbox one is to the microsoft at the moment. Anyway, this came as a shock to me because I didn't know you can run more than one OS at a time on most computer much less on a console.

In short, is this true and if so what are those os that the xbox one is running? This is a serious question despite how it might look to some. My cousin works for a fairly reputable company that did gave microsoft its approval to stamp the company logo on the xbox one. Thus, I don't think the rep was lying nor do I think my cousin is messing with me considering he is a 50 years old male who doesn't play video game.

I understand this question can only be answered by the industry insiders, but if there are people with engineer prowess who can teach me more about the subject I would appreciate it.
#2Not_ShippyPosted 12/2/2013 12:09:37 PM
User Name cocaiser
User ID 6883301
Board User Level 10: Provisional (1)
New account with less than 3 karma. Can post 1 topic, 10 messages per day (3 per hour)
Account Created Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:12 PM
Last Visit Monday, December 2, 2013 2:05 PM
Karma 1
Active Messages Posted 3

You're cool, kid.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC:0476-9471-9375
Xbox Live GT:ShippouX411X
#3squarex8264Posted 12/2/2013 12:27:40 PM
It's not four OSes, it's three. They talked about this around their reveal, I believe.

The main OS is running the other two: one for all the system apps, and one for the game currently running. It's why you are able to have the dashboard and apps run simultaneously with a game, without having any resources taken away from the game.
---
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#4BassnaPosted 12/2/2013 12:28:20 PM
squarex8264 posted...
It's not four OSes, it's three. They talked about this around their reveal, I believe.

The main OS is running the other two: one for all the system apps, and one for the game currently running. It's why you are able to have the dashboard and apps run simultaneously with a game, without having any resources taken away from the game.

One of my favorite features so far.
---
XBL = Bassna OG
#5cocaiser(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 12:33:49 PM
Thanks

that makes a whole lot of sense. I guess a lot of detail were lost through words of mouth.
#6yiangaruuugaPosted 12/2/2013 12:37:34 PM
It's three OSs: Windows 8, a Xbox OS, and the third adds a layer to fuse the other two together.

Your computer can have multiple OS installed. I had Ubuntu and Windows at the same time. You can also use Virtualbox.
---
GT: xFrostxPhoenix
Now Playing: BF3, DC 2 Waiting for: MW3,Skyrim, ACR...Monster Hunter is the **** btw.