Question about surround sound

#11eLiTeRiChxUK(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 4:42:39 PM
pctech86 posted...
Since nobody has really answered the OP's question, yes it will work not a problem. I have my XB1 hooked up via hdmi to the television, and through optical audio to the surround sound. Works fine, no issues whatsoever.

Going to buy a new surround system tomorrow then, so ill be able to just hook my xbox one upto it via optical cable, choose the correct channel on the surround system and be good to go?
---
I'm naming my Xbox One, Neo... because it's The One.
GT: One Called Rich
#12Dr WhoopassPosted 12/2/2013 5:39:00 PM
eLiTeRiChxUK posted...
pctech86 posted...
Since nobody has really answered the OP's question, yes it will work not a problem. I have my XB1 hooked up via hdmi to the television, and through optical audio to the surround sound. Works fine, no issues whatsoever.

Going to buy a new surround system tomorrow then, so ill be able to just hook my xbox one upto it via optical cable, choose the correct channel on the surround system and be good to go?

If you're going to buy one, make sure it is HDMI. That is how you get the higher quality sound formats from games and Blurays. Optical only does Dolby Digital, I believe. That's an old format.
---
XBL: Bitter Kevin
PSN: B1TT3R-K3V1N
#13Dr WhoopassPosted 12/2/2013 5:46:23 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-16732-Xbox-One-Optical-Headsets-Are-Stereo-Only--Dolby-Digital-Coming-Post-Launch.html

If you do get an optical only receiver, make sure it does DTS. That is the only surround sound format supported right now. If you are going to spend money, get an HDMI receiver. You will need it for Blurays anyway.
---
#14eLiTeRiChxUK(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 5:50:40 PM
Dr Whoopass posted...
eLiTeRiChxUK posted...
pctech86 posted...

If you're going to buy one, make sure it is HDMI. That is how you get the higher quality sound formats from games and Blurays. Optical only does Dolby Digital, I believe. That's an old format.

I know optical is old tech now but call me stupid i just dont see how i could connect HDMI to my TV and HDMI to a surround system when the Xbox One only had one HDMI output?
---
#15Dr WhoopassPosted 12/2/2013 5:52:00 PM
Oh haha, you plug the X1 into the receiver, and the receiver into the TV. It's a passthru just like the X1. It's probably how X1 got the idea.

My setup is cable box into X1, X1 into receiver, receiver into TV.
---
#16eLiTeRiChxUK(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 5:55:05 PM
Dr Whoopass posted...
Oh haha, you plug the X1 into the receiver, and the receiver into the TV. It's a passthru just like the X1. It's probably how X1 got the idea.

So im not so great on these things... im guessing these receivers have more than just one input?
---
#17Mr BumpPosted 12/2/2013 5:55:49 PM
eLiTeRiChxUK posted...
Dr Whoopass posted...
eLiTeRiChxUK posted...
pctech86 posted...

I know optical is old tech now but call me stupid i just dont see how i could connect HDMI to my TV and HDMI to a surround system when the Xbox One only had one HDMI output?

The receiver will have an HDMI out also, so it passes the video on to the display. You must get an HDMI receiver if you want 7.1 - optical only does 5.1. If you plan on watching 3D movies, make sure the receiver is 1.4 HDMI compliant, or it won't pass a 3D video signal.
---
My games room: http://imgur.com/a/CA2yz
XBL: Mister Bump PSN: Mr_BumpNZ
#18Mr BumpPosted 12/2/2013 5:56:54 PM
eLiTeRiChxUK posted...
Dr Whoopass posted...

So im not so great on these things... im guessing these receivers have more than just one input?

Yes, most that aren't cheap crap will have at least 4 HDMI inputs. Often a lot more.
---
My games room: http://imgur.com/a/CA2yz
XBL: Mister Bump PSN: Mr_BumpNZ
#19Dr WhoopassPosted 12/2/2013 5:57:37 PM
eLiTeRiChxUK posted...
Dr Whoopass posted...

LOL yeah. Usually a lot. Mine has 3 HDMIs plus opticals and red&whites and whatnot. The remote has like 6 input buttons, and you change inputs there instead of thru the TV. I have PS3, 360, and X1 all hooked up. It's all Input 1 on my TV now.
---
#20Dr WhoopassPosted 12/2/2013 6:00:54 PM
Here's what I have so you can get an idea of what it does:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HTSS380-Home-Theater-System/dp/B004K1EO7A
---