I am tired of console wars, I think we need to be concerned of something else.

#1NessaJTuNNPosted 12/3/2013 3:01:06 PM
Arguing about which console is better is barely worthed anymore, its cool back then I guess, but now I think we gamers need to look at the bigger picture, its the games. Just look at PS4 and XBOX one launch line up, all of them are the same crap we are getting from PS3/360, shooters, shooters, shooters, another shooters, another generic open world game mixed with cover based shooter, not just the launch line up to be quite honest, it also the games that were shown at E3.

I missed the days when XBOX has unique title such as Ninja Gaiden Black, Fable, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Time Splitters 2 and PS2 back then has tons of cools games like DMC3, Okami, MGS3, RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Onimusha series, the old Ghost Recon and MoH, Socom 2, Hitman Blood Money also tons of other games as well that different to each other, not to mention the era of PSone. Now everything were being dumb down for the masses. Games have no depth whatsoever, FPS becoming COD clone aka twitch shooters, third person adventure games becoming a generic cover based shooter, games these days has to be a shooting gallery for the masses otherwise it wouldn't really sell.

I saw a lot of titles from big third party publisher at E3, even a new IP, all of them are just the same crap we are getting, same concept, same everything, the actual gameplay is basically a shooting peeps, the division is an open world third person shooter, Destiny is an open world FPS or MMO shooter imitate Borderlands, TitanFall is another shooter but with robots and guess what those 3 games are the main Highlight of E3 back then, it makes me concerned where the game industry is going nowadays. There seem lack of innovation of trying something different and fresh mechanically wise. heck even Naughty Dog which a lot of people argue one of the best game developers these days, also making a mainstream game(mechanically) in my eyes.
#2Exodus_PrimePosted 12/3/2013 3:04:27 PM
Man I remember those fanboy wars between PS2 Vs Xbox, where they would argue day and night about which one was better between Splinter Cell (Xbox exclusive back in the day) or MGS series, then years later you saw a Splinter Cell port for PS2 (while graphically inferior it was still fun) then Metal Gear Sons Of Liberty 2 port to Original Xbox, IT was hilarious since both sides would claim either game would ever grace those consoles.

Also I miss Onimusha :-( they need to make a new one stat.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#3regsantotomasPosted 12/3/2013 3:06:02 PM
I think if you try too hard to break down a game, fundamentally, they haven't changed all that much.

Example: Super Mario 3D Land is just another platformer or Titanfall is just another FPS with robots.

I think that between the indie market and upcoming original IPs, there is plenty to be excited about with regards to originality. Not every game needs to reinvent or create its own sub-genre.

What matters is that we get a mix of original titles as well as some sequels that cater to a sense of familiarity.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#4NessaJTuNN(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2013 3:10:01 PM
regsantotomas posted...
I think if you try too hard to break down a game, fundamentally, they haven't changed all that much.

Example: Super Mario 3D Land is just another platformer or Titanfall is just another FPS with robots.

I think that between the indie market and upcoming original IPs, there is plenty to be excited about with regards to originality. Not every game needs to reinvent or create its own sub-genre.

What matters is that we get a mix of original titles as well as some sequels that cater to a sense of familiarity.

I havent played super mario 3D land, but what makes platforming is different is not how the gameplay fundamental works. your character still jump and get power ups, but what makes platforming different to each other is always the level design, that's how you judge which one is a better platformer gae. So when someone asking me to compare 2 platformers which one is better, lets say super mario world U to Rayman Legends and I say Rayman Legends is superior because the level design is just way better and creative.
#5regsantotomasPosted 12/3/2013 3:19:08 PM
NessaJTuNN posted...
regsantotomas posted...

I havent played super mario 3D land, but what makes platforming is different is not how the gameplay fundamental works. your character still jump and get power ups, but what makes platforming different to each other is always the level design, that's how you judge which one is a better platformer gae. So when someone asking me to compare 2 platformers which one is better, lets say super mario world U to Rayman Legends and I say Rayman Legends is superior because the level design is just way better and creative.

But your premise was that these games aren't "unique". I am saying they are even if they are iterative which both Rayman and Super Mario 3D Land is.

Sure, there are genres and games that are regurgitated.

At the same time, if you can't find unique games or games that still remain fun despite being iterative, you are simply not looking hard enough.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#6NessaJTuNN(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2013 4:02:11 PM
regsantotomas posted...
NessaJTuNN posted...
regsantotomas posted...

But your premise was that these games aren't "unique". I am saying they are even if they are iterative which both Rayman and Super Mario 3D Land is.

Sure, there are genres and games that are regurgitated.

At the same time, if you can't find unique games or games that still remain fun despite being iterative, you are simply not looking hard enough.

Who said Rayman Legends isn't unique? heck its my Goty this year. Rayman Legends level design is very clever and unique, in terms of platformer, level design is basically the "gameplay" experience and RL is definitely the best platformer I have ever played in PS3.

Ofcourse there are some unique titles, I never said PS3/360 gen has no unique game whatsoever, but what I am trying to say is the unique titles is far less compare to mainstream games and some of the game that I love have been butchered into mainstream games, BFBC2 which I considered the best console shooter yet back then, yet BF3 feels more like COD with big maps, no depth whatsoever, everything is just all technical graphic with no depth gameplay, same like BF4 and those games sold more because it feels more like COD, Killzone 2 felt more as an old school hip firing shooters back then also turned into generic COD crap with killzone 3 and also Resistance going to this direction a bit as well, as you can see why metacritic wise KZ2 always have higher scores compare to its next installments, because overall the MP portion has more depth compare to its next installments.

Though there are still some unique great titles such as Darksouls, Demonsouls, Bayonetta which imo the best hack and slash this generation, Vanquish which the only over the top stylish third person shooter out there plays more like Hack and slash than your standard tps, Deus Ex Human Revolution which imo the best stealth game this generation, but as you can see these games generally sell less than mainstream games, also I have a friend that have played Halo a lot too and he is mad about 343 industries direction to turned Halo to be more mainstream and based from the games that I have looked through E3, PS4/X1 era might repeated the same tradition and this is why I pretty much concerned.