Microsoft counters latest PS4 sales figures with meaningless zombie stats

#1abbeldydooPosted 12/4/2013 12:24:29 AM
http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/3/5171942/microsoft-xbox-one-usage-stats-zombies-hours
---
Don't mod me bro!
3DSFC - 1993-8344-2623
#2iamjosh308Posted 12/4/2013 12:26:24 AM
this is serious business
---
*wipes brown*
#3rx54Posted 12/4/2013 12:34:36 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4Orange_ApplesPosted 12/4/2013 12:48:46 AM
meaningless? 50 million hours in 11 days says quite a bit about the console.

4.5 million hours a day

If we assume that people on average play for 4 hours a day that comes out to 1.125 million people.

That is a lot of people, and that is the kind of message that MS wants to get out there. Lots of people want to get the XB1. Do more people want the PS4? yes, but MS doesn't need to make note of that. It is up to the people to look for the data. MS only needs to put out the data that makes them look good.

I mean, Android phone manufacturers don't say, "look at the cool things our phone can do, sure none of your friends have our phone since they all have iPhones so you can't actually don't any of the cool things..." no. The message they put out is, "Look at all the cool things your phone can't do. You need our phone."

It isn't meaningless, it is marketing. Marketing is "here is some data. use it to make us look good/them look bad." MS doesn't have any data to make PS4 look bad, so they use the data to make XB1 look good.

Does it say anything we didn't know already? no, but it told it in a way that looked like new data. I mean, we already knew that there were at least 1.125M XB1 consoles in peoples' homes, but saying 50 million hours in 11 days sounds awesome.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#5dnmtPosted 12/4/2013 12:50:19 AM
Orange_Apples posted...

4.5 million hours a day

If we assume that people on average play for 4 hours a day that comes out to 1.125 million people.

That is a lot of people, and that is the kind of message that MS wants to get out there. Lots of people want to get the XB1. Do more people want the PS4? yes, but MS doesn't need to make note of that. It is up to the people to look for the data. MS only needs to put out the data that makes them look good.

I mean, Android phone manufacturers don't say, "look at the cool things our phone can do, sure none of your friends have our phone since they all have iPhones so you can't actually don't any of the cool things..." no. The message they put out is, "Look at all the cool things your phone can't do. You need our phone."

It isn't meaningless, it is marketing. Marketing is "here is some data. use it to make us look good/them look bad." MS doesn't have any data to make PS4 look bad, so they use the data to make XB1 look good.

Does it say anything we didn't know already? no, but it told it in a way that looked like new data. I mean, we already knew that there were at least 1.125M XB1 consoles in peoples' homes, but saying 50 million hours in 11 days sounds awesome.

Big numbers are cool, no doubt, but MS is ignoring the elephant in the room by not releasing solid data on the number of units sold. Clearly they did not go over 2 million units at this point in time or they would've said so already.
#6Mr_arizonaPosted 12/4/2013 12:54:51 AM
rx54 posted...
FU#%!

Why did I get a PS4!
It has no zombie stats...

Zombies man. You can't lose with Zombies.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9286/tennisskirtblow.gif
#7Orange_ApplesPosted 12/4/2013 12:58:43 AM
dnmt posted...
Orange_Apples posted...

4.5 million hours a day

Big numbers are cool, no doubt, but MS is ignoring the elephant in the room by not releasing solid data on the number of units sold. Clearly they did not go over 2 million units at this point in time or they would've said so already.

No, you aren't getting the point. They put out big vague numbers because they don't have solid numbers saying they have over 2 million units. Since they don't have that data, they have to put out something, so they put out something that while true is meant to not tell the whole truth. That is what marketing is for.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#8WeirdShroomPosted 12/4/2013 1:01:16 AM
Sony: "Yeah, well, over 100K people have played Killzone for more than a few hours and.....wait don't put that out. Let's just do console sales."
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#9dnmtPosted 12/4/2013 1:03:38 AM(edited)
Orange_Apples posted...
dnmt posted...
Orange_Apples posted...

4.5 million hours a day

No, you aren't getting the point. They put out big vague numbers because they don't have solid numbers saying they have over 2 million units. Since they don't have that data, they have to put out something, so they put out something that while true is meant to not tell the whole truth. That is what marketing is for.

I'd bet everything I own that MS knows very well how many units it sold thus far. They are simply trying to save face and delaying the inevitable.

WeirdShroom posted...
Sony: "Yeah, well, over 100K people have played Killzone for more than a few hours and.....wait don't put that out. Let's just do console sales."

Um... seriously, dude?
#10bultje112Posted 12/4/2013 1:06:29 AM
Orange_Apples posted...
dnmt posted...
Orange_Apples posted...

4.5 million hours a day

of course m$ has that data. they know full well what is being sent to retailers. they are barely out in europe, unlike sony and even they have numbers, which are much harder to get in europe and latin america with it's divided markets
---
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318223517