EA: Digital-only future for console games is not happening soon.Who is this EA?

#11loafy013Posted 12/4/2013 2:10:24 AM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
rx54 posted...
Do most people still have physical copies of their movies and music?

Bluray HD movies >>>>>>> compressed digital "HD" movies.

Too bad people don't think about this. The push for home television is larger screens and better resolutions, yet there are those who will watch a movie on their iphone. Convenience trumps quality for many people (hence the mp3 format taking off)
---
The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. That's fact.
Everything else, is theory.
#12rx54Posted 12/4/2013 2:11:29 AM
bultje112 posted...
rx54 posted...
zerooo0 posted...
rx54 posted...

I still have CD's in the car, and when I go buy them from Lifeway. Especially now that my Google Play is messed up/more than likely my phone. I also like to pop in CD's when I drive.

You're old fashioned then.

Games WILL go the way of music and movies, 99% digital.

There's a reason most music stores and movie rental stores don't exist.
It would be a mission to find somewhere to rent a movie where I live.

The only reason places like Gamestop can continue to exist is not solely because of the games they sell, people go there for consoles, controllers, 3rd party accessories etc.

If Gamestop ONLY sold games and nothing more, they would disappear much quicker than they are.

The main problem I have with phsyical games is that they're discs, discs are outdated and poor technology now.
There's a reason all games must be installed now, games can be read faster from a HDD than a disc, better performance.

The HDD is a physical object holding digital data just as a disc.
There are many physical objects games could be stored on other than discs that they would run better off of, flash drives could even be a possibility.
CDs/DVDs/Bluray are just slowing things down.

what are you talking about. it's vinyl records that are booming again. people will always want something physical for something they really cherish like music, art, games.

Vinyl records for music actually sound better than a CD though, people who buy vinyl do because of the sound mainly.

Video games do not play better off a disc than a HDD, far worse actually, and that's why every single game must be installed TO THE HDD to be played on new consoles.

Microsoft and Sony wouldn't have made such a huge incovenience to their customers if there was not a great reason to do so, if you need further convincing.
---
PSN - Hunched
#13rx54Posted 12/4/2013 2:12:13 AM
loafy013 posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...
rx54 posted...

Bluray HD movies >>>>>>> compressed digital "HD" movies.

Too bad people don't think about this. The push for home television is larger screens and better resolutions, yet there are those who will watch a movie on their iphone. Convenience trumps quality for many people (hence the mp3 format taking off)

I listen to lossless music, usually flac format.
---
PSN - Hunched
#14Fredrick2003xPosted 12/4/2013 2:17:46 AM
bultje112 posted...
rx54 posted...
zerooo0 posted...
rx54 posted...

I still have CD's in the car, and when I go buy them from Lifeway. Especially now that my Google Play is messed up/more than likely my phone. I also like to pop in CD's when I drive.

The only reason places like Gamestop can continue to exist is not solely because of the games they sell, people go there for consoles, controllers, 3rd party accessories etc.

If Gamestop ONLY sold games and nothing more, they would disappear much quicker than they are.

The main problem I have with phsyical games is that they're discs, discs are outdated and poor technology now.
There's a reason all games must be installed now, games can be read faster from a HDD than a disc, better performance.

There are many physical objects games could be stored on other than discs that they would run better off of, flash drives could even be a possibility.

what are you talking about. it's vinyl records that are booming again. people will always want something physical for something they really cherish like music, art, games.

Buying digital really isn't the same.

Yeah I mean Steam/Origin/etc, SAY I own 200 games, but I don't feel like I do. The deals are great, but it just lacks... soul, I guess.

I'm almost thinking of switching back to console gaming just so I can expand my games shelf, just gets to the PS2 era and then... nothing.
---
Currently Playing: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F (CFM, 2012) - Alan Wake (Remedy, 2010)
#15bultje112Posted 12/4/2013 2:27:07 AM
I own over 600 physical games over 20 different consoles. you know what it's like to walk into my gameroom? and SEE all those memories I have with so many of those games. priceless.
---
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318223517
#16rx54Posted 12/4/2013 2:31:58 AM
bultje112 posted...
I own over 600 physical games over 20 different consoles. you know what it's like to walk into my gameroom? and SEE all those memories I have with so many of those games. priceless.

I swear some gamers are more collectors than actual gamers.

I don't enjoy the digital games I have any less or more than the physical ones, now that the physical ones are run off the HDD just like my digital games anyway.
---
PSN - Hunched
#17bultje112Posted 12/4/2013 2:37:33 AM
what I buy I never sell again. I like to collect them but I'e played all my games and systems and I still do. I'm playing both lunar silver star for sega cd and black flag for ps4 in past days. just to give an idea.
---
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318223517
#18GotTruthPosted 12/4/2013 2:41:56 AM
rx54 posted...

Umm. yes. Of course they do.

I get it, your like 22 and think the world revolves around your precious little farts just like mommy and daddy have always told you. You have never known anything else. You have grown up in a "throw away" culture that is steeped in a lust for instant gratification.....It's not your fault you don't understand that some people have these things called movie collections, or game collections or some folks, like myself, have collections that include over 1000 records as of right now.

We tend to collect the things we enjoy. There is thrill in the hunt at times in it. Finding that lone copy of a low pressing Punk rock record at the USED store. Same as with hunting down a legit copy of "TerrorVision", a bad scfi-horror film that is sought after because it so bad they never released many copies.

I have a friend that like to hunt down PS1 games. He was recently over joyed when he scored a very nice kept copy of XENOGEARS( i loved that game) for less than 75$. He is all about retro gaming history and stuff.

See, we like OWNING these things because they give us a sense of not just ownership in the Living History of our chosen medium/object of choice, but the experience of being involved in its continuation for others to enjoy as well.

If your attitude were/is the "prevailing wisdom" then why should we bother with painting anymore? I mean using YOUR logic: "Brushes made from animal hair, spreading messy colored go on stretched canvas? That's so dumb when we have PHOTOSHOP!"

Or what about music? with your logic on technology...." Oh man whay are you bothering using that caveman thing made from WOOD and PLASTIC that you have to wind STRINGS on to play man? Just use GARAGEband and/or ProTOOLS brah!"
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#19GotTruthPosted 12/4/2013 2:52:34 AM
(most cars still come with CD-players with a input option. your condescension is noted.)

(ya, it almost crippled the industry if you care to remember. Piracy is STILL RAMPANT in the music industry)

( we have 4 in town, all doing GREAT. thank you)

(we have at LEAST 4, I got them feels for ya.)

( this is true, I get my game most NEW form there but do enjoy grabbing a cheap USED Single player title to play though form time to time for 5-15bucks)

If Gamestop ONLY sold games and nothing more, they would disappear much quicker than they are.( LOL you WISH)

( ya cause NOONE collects/enjoys Records/Books/old RARE Movies not in EVERY format)

( then they need to give us HDD with TERABYTES, like HUNDREDS of TERABYTES, I'm not ONLY playing through like 5 games at time here. I have kids, they play COMPLETELY different games than me and the Mrs. there is simply NOT enough space as of now with installs in the 20gig range and ONLY having 500gig)

There are many physical objects games could be stored on other than discs that they would run better off of, flash drives could even be a possibility.( as long as I can RE-SELL/TRADE/GIVE away at my own discretion I do like the Flash Drive medium)

(this is a true enough statement. Progress for the sake of Progress is like Trophy Hunting.
Progress should be measured and carefully applied)
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#20YMIHerePosted 12/4/2013 3:31:32 AM
Digital only will come around when publishers decide to make it a better deal than physical, just like what happened with music. The majority of mp3's are DRM free, and to top it off you can buy single tracks now. It wasn't digital that was the problem with the earlier X1, it was the draconian DRM that potential buyers didn't want to deal with. You can get away with taking more freedom from the customer, but you have to give back in some form (price, for instance) or they just aren't going to buy it.