How is Xbox One selling so well?

#1cruelbirdPosted 12/5/2013 5:16:36 PM
Why are people buying the One? - Results (710 votes)
Games
48.87% (347 votes)
Xbox Live
19.44% (138 votes)
TV + other non-game features
23.94% (170 votes)
Kinect
7.75% (55 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Just looking for some feedback from people who have bought one.
Given the $100 difference + bad publicity at E3, how did MS turn it around and sell a million+ consoles so quickly?
---
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3695/sigbase.jpg
#2AtomicPenguin76Posted 12/5/2013 5:18:05 PM
Name recognition and one of the biggest marketing blitzes I've seen since Star Wars would be my guess.
#3SonyPonyTonyPosted 12/5/2013 5:18:14 PM
All of the above I'd say but I voted for games because that's the main draw. Just look at how well Xbox One has populated the top ten at VGChartz, but no PS4 games to be seen. That's why it's selling so well despite being $100 more. People want games.
---
http://minus.com/lbfiUvu5vxhhzA
#4nickr2d2Posted 12/5/2013 5:18:34 PM
Live. WAYYY better than PSN, in terms of reliability & value.
---
"In my country, Battlefield hacks you" -Battlefield Friends
#5regsantotomasPosted 12/5/2013 5:24:17 PM
A lot of the people buying the Xbox One know nothing or care about the so called bad publicity at E3. The opinions posted on these type of echo chambers don't necessarily reflect the general market.

Anyone thinking that the Xbox One was only going to sell a couple of hundred thousand was fooling themselves.

I think the appeal will vary from person to person but price alone won't be a gating factor for everyone.

All we know right now is that the demand is outpacing the supply for both the PS4 and Xbox One.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#6Hucast9Posted 12/5/2013 5:42:01 PM
cruelbird posted...
Just looking for some feedback from people who have bought one.
Given the $100 difference + bad publicity at E3, how did MS turn it around and sell a million+ consoles so quickly?

The biggest reason is probably the reversal of the mandatory DRM on-line authentication. Making the console not work if there is no internet connection is probably the worst idea that I have ever seen. That is even worse than the idea of Nintendo sticking with cartridges for the N64. I would have passed on this console if that idea would've survived.
#7MlREFOXPosted 12/5/2013 5:44:18 PM
nickr2d2 posted...

Maybe in 2009. Plus puts Live to shame.
#8TheBorderColliePosted 12/5/2013 6:17:56 PM
MlREFOX posted...
nickr2d2 posted...

Maybe in 2009. Plus puts Live to shame.

LOL....No.

And I think the reason XB1 is doing so well is actually because of a combination of all of the TC's reasons in the poll.
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
Annoy a domestic terrorist....VOTE!
#9KcrackPosted 12/5/2013 6:19:51 PM
SonyPonyTony posted...
All of the above I'd say but I voted for games because that's the main draw. Just look at how well Xbox One has populated the top ten at VGChartz, but no PS4 games to be seen. That's why it's selling so well despite being $100 more. People want games.

Lol
#10Reflex-ArcPosted 12/5/2013 6:21:58 PM
regsantotomas posted...
A lot of the people buying the Xbox One know nothing or care about the so called bad publicity at E3. The opinions posted on these type of echo chambers don't necessarily reflect the general market.

Anyone thinking that the Xbox One was only going to sell a couple of hundred thousand was fooling themselves.

I think the appeal will vary from person to person but price alone won't be a gating factor for everyone.

All we know right now is that the demand is outpacing the supply for both the PS4 and Xbox One.

This may be the most level headed thing posted on this board in months. Thumbs up, man.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard