Microsoft Takes On NSA With Three New Privacy Features

#1Dev445Posted 12/5/2013 7:37:32 PM
by Mike Futter

Microsoft has instituted a new set of security protocols for "protecting customer data from government snooping." The news comes after allegations that Microsoft assisted the NSA by providing private data.

"Many of our customers have serious concerns about government surveillance of the Internet," writes general council and executive vice president Brad Smith. "We share their concerns. Thatís why we are taking steps to ensure governments use legal process rather than technological brute force to access customer data."

In order to enhance customer security, Microsoft is instituting three features. The company will be enhancing encryption across all services, reinforcing legal protection for customers, and improving transparency to show that Microsoft products do not have back door access.

Among the included products are Outlook.com, Office 365, SkyDrive, and Windows Azure. Xbox Live and Xbox One are not mentioned explicitly, nor is Skype (which is present on the Xbox One).

The new privacy and security features will be in place by the end of 2014. Microsoft is also working with other companies to enhance the security between services, as email often passes among a number of different providers.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/12/05/microsoft-takes-on-nsa-with-three-new-privacy-features.aspx
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#2CoordinatesPosted 12/5/2013 7:39:44 PM
So M$ admits the NSA cn check our info with xbone.
---
PSN: pPpPancakes
Not sure why you'd add me, but okay >.<
#3kingekingePosted 12/5/2013 7:43:34 PM
They assisted the NSA in the first place and now they say they share our concerns. Why? Because they got caught now they flip flop and say they are on our side.
#4Queen_of_Lazy89Posted 12/5/2013 7:46:13 PM
Man MS is flip flopping like a pro. Did they hire Mitt Romney or something?
---
"Going to the Grand Canyon" is how Limbaugh's doctor refers to giving Limbaugh a colonoscopy-Kavatar
#5cheezedadadaPosted 12/5/2013 7:47:31 PM(edited)
Would just like to point out that people who think they are 'off the grid' are more than likely not at all. I remember seeing the file on my iPhone that basically had every location I have ever been to. I don't think people realize how many things we use on a daily basis that we can be tracked with.

Not saying its right by the way (or defending Microsoft), but just pointing it out.
---
"I just bought Divekick. 80% because it looks funny, and 20% out of spite" - SG64
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada
#6WeirdShroomPosted 12/5/2013 7:50:03 PM
Coordinates posted...
So M$ admits the NSA cn check our info with xbone.

The NSA can check our info on anything and anytime they damn well please.

am I the only one around here that remembers all the shady, underhanded and illegal things our government has gotten into over the past...well...since it's been around?
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#7Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 12/5/2013 7:52:48 PM
"We share their concerns. Thatís why we are taking steps to ensure governments use legal process rather than technological brute force to access customer data."

Yeah, because we all know that governments routinely use legal processes to get things done.
---
GT: Mvsevm of Skin
#8ImThe8thWonderPosted 12/5/2013 7:53:47 PM
Well, it's a start.
#9WeirdShroomPosted 12/5/2013 7:54:38 PM
I guarantee their "assistance" of the NSA is their way of legally getting a foothold to prevent the kind of spooky rights violations most people are scared of.

and even then it may not really help.

any electronic device you own is subject to being monitored by the government illegally and without your knowledge. They have been doing stuff like that for as long as technology has existed.
---
GT: BxB402 - " A little trolling now and then is relished by the wisest men."
#10cheezedadadaPosted 12/5/2013 7:57:35 PM
I think people would be shocked if they realized they are not as anonymous as they wish. Everyone seems to fear the Kinect like its the first thing we have brought into our lives like this, yet freely embrace facebook, emails, texts, phones etc.

I sometimes do new office deployments (setting up switches/routers/servers/etc) which leads to me flying around the country from time to time. The iPhone tracked ALL of that. It was pretty neat and freaky at the same time.
---
"I just bought Divekick. 80% because it looks funny, and 20% out of spite" - SG64
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada