First Casualty of the Console Wars: Microsoft Closes Studio

#1HackersRLamePosted 12/6/2013 9:37:53 AM
Microsoft has shuttered its Victoria, British Columbia studio after two years of operation.

The formation of the Victoria, BC office was part of a $1 billion investment in Xbox One. This initiative saw Microsoft forming multiple studios across the globe London, Victoria and Washington and securing 15 exclusives for the Xbox One's first year of existence.

In a statement to Polygon, Microsoft said the studio's closure would not cause the cancellation of any projects the studio was working on, whatever they may be. "We did not cancel any projects rather we centralized our development efforts in BC to our Vancouver offices."

That was fast.
#2snowboard340Posted 12/6/2013 9:40:25 AM
They probably were not meeting milestones on the project.
#3GambitbuzzkillPosted 12/6/2013 9:41:21 AM
So wait they just moved the studio to Vancouver nice miss leading thread btw.
---
Gametag-BLOODLUST66
PSN-Dalust66
#4Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 12/6/2013 9:41:58 AM
Bill Gates came over and gave them the weakness speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlxznyPzDrQ
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#5Troll_DirectoryPosted 12/6/2013 9:42:03 AM
sounds like black tusk studios is working on something big! :-)
#6krystylaPosted 12/6/2013 9:42:36 AM
As if layoffs in the video game industry isn't a common thing, move on
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#7CyberneticRatPosted 12/6/2013 9:43:22 AM
Maybe they just merged it with their Vancouver offices? Who knows. I just hope the people involved didn't lose jobs or anything.
---
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
#8Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 12/6/2013 9:45:29 AM
CyberneticRat posted...
Maybe they just merged it with their Vancouver offices? Who knows. I just hope the people involved didn't lose jobs or anything.

no all those people were just straight up fired
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/05/microsoft-to-close-victoria-office
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#9HackersRLame(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2013 9:48:24 AM
Gambitbuzzkill posted...
So wait they just moved the studio to Vancouver nice miss leading thread btw.

No, they did not. They already have a studio in Vancouver that they want to be the only studio in area. Read the article.

We are working closely with all employees affected by this change to identify open positions in other studios if possible, and we remain committed to doing business in British Columbia.

Nice miss.
#10Dannyson97Posted 12/6/2013 9:48:39 AM
Who's next? Square Enix? Capcom? Naughty Dog? EA? When will this madness stop?!
---
"I will be damned if I can't get drunk with out passing out drowning in my pizza!" -John Stewart