Microsoft's Xbox One May Be Losing The Console War Due To Kinect Alone

#1ECOsvaldoPosted 12/7/2013 11:39:56 AM
Now that both consoles are selling well, it’s easy to say that Microsoft made a perfectly fine call. But they are losing. When Sony comes out and says they’ve sold 2.1M units, and Microsoft PR responds by saying “50 million hours have been spent playing our games” instead of revealing their own numbers, that means they’re losing. By what margin, I’m not sure, but would they be on even footing were it not for the higher price point because of Kinect?

The problem is that Microsoft can’t really afford to simply drop the price to $400 to match Sony without taking a huge loss on the console. Because of the hardware involved with each system, both companies are barely turning a profit on each unit. Microsoft might sell more by cutting, but if they’re losing money by doing so, that may not matter.

The question now is if the Kinect is offering enough value to justify putting Microsoft in a worse position than Sony during this holiday launch. So far, opinions are mixed.

SOURCE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/12/07/microsofts-xbox-one-may-be-losing-the-console-war-due-to-kinect-alone/
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#2krystylaPosted 12/7/2013 11:43:08 AM
Why should they reveal their numbers one week behind of Sony?
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#3cruelbirdPosted 12/7/2013 11:45:20 AM
Define "losing"

I bet MS is damn happy with their numbers.
---
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3695/sigbase.jpg
#4FinzFan4lifePosted 12/7/2013 11:48:11 AM
Last I heard MS was only a half million behind Sony which if I remember right SONY should have twice as many sales as MS, MS has no reason to worry the kinect is the foundation it works well. They are fine.
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#5scoobydoobydontPosted 12/7/2013 11:51:36 AM
Hey, cool, another Forbes "contributor" has an opinion.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwlt4FqmS0
#6bleedingelitePosted 12/7/2013 12:00:19 PM
I think Microsoft is losing because people like you are on xbox one boards all day because there are no PS4 games to play.
#7nothingbeastPosted 12/7/2013 12:03:44 PM
Mandatory Kinect is on my list of cons.

I own a Kinect with my 360 and it's ok for the couple of games I own that fully implement Kinect... but every non-Kinect game I own that tries to integrate voice commands, or motion, I turn off the feature in the options. I don't even have mine set up, right now.

I've used it while navigating the Dashboard, and I personally find it more annoying than using the controller. Reading reviews of the One, I'm seeing some opinions say it's only marginally better than the 360 model.

While I don't dislike the idea of Kinect, I think it should have been an optional purchase for the consumer.

I don't believe it's solely the reason the One is $100 more expensive, but it would have been nice to have had what extra cost I am spending on Kinect towards a game that I'll actually use.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#8EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 12/7/2013 12:15:50 PM(edited)
Sure, they're not beating Sony and the PS4 but I highly doubt MS is upset about having the best Xbox launch ever and the second best console launch in the history of gaming.

And all of this despite having a $500 price tag.
---
(NNID/PSN): EnVy_CaLiBeR (3DS): 2895-6776-7223
NP: Super Mario 3D World, AC4: Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Pokemon X, BF4, Resogun
#9EnclavePosted 12/7/2013 12:17:30 PM
krystyla posted...

Honestly? They would have been better off not responding to Sonys announcing 2.1 million sold. Either give a number back or be quiet, don't start talking about game statistics, all that does is make people think you're hiding something about units sold. Remaining quiet at least gives people the impression that you simply aren't going to respond regardless of if you're ahead or behind and that you'll let the NDP numbers speak for themselves.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#10krystylaPosted 12/7/2013 12:20:22 PM
Enclave posted...
krystyla posted...

Honestly? They would have been better off not responding to Sonys announcing 2.1 million sold. Either give a number back or be quiet, don't start talking about game statistics, all that does is make people think you're hiding something about units sold. Remaining quiet at least gives people the impression that you simply aren't going to respond regardless of if you're ahead or behind and that you'll let the NDP numbers speak for themselves.

Yeah that statistics stunt was either a stupid idea or bad timing
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B