Will this internet speed be sufficient for online gaming?

#11LazerLXXVII2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 7:46:15 PM(edited)
Excal1bur posted...
run your test on the xbox one, will also tell you if your MTU is high enough as well.

Wow so I did this, and the latency was 90. So...pretty bad.

How do I improve this, or is there any way? But its weird, I ran a quick search and found this, and ran the first site they recommended:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/networking/slow-performance-solution

And I had 10ms latency. So I don't know where the 90 is coming from, unless of course I'm connecting to the "provider" to the west (I mentioned it in an above post).
#12LazerLXXVII2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 10:25:07 PM
Bump for my last question
#13ShuraYukihimePosted 12/8/2013 10:38:59 PM
Ping is arbitrary unless you can test each server you connect to. The 15ms ping you test is of no concern if you connect to a different server. Just use it as a guideline to.

For example I can ping to various servers on my PC under 20ms but when I boot up LoL my usual ping is around 90ms.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#14PulpPosted 12/8/2013 10:39:45 PM
Don't need to bump anything. Your question is largely irrelevant (you don't have any lag at the moment, if you did it would depend on the server/route and 90ms is fine).

If you want the long detailed answer to your hypothetical, here is a random link I grabbed from a simple google search:

https://www.citycloud.com/city-cloud/some-interesting-bits-about-latency/
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#15GothmogzPosted 12/8/2013 10:56:06 PM
How so many people posts here without knowing crap?.

Ill explain.

Ping is the time it takes for a small packed to go to destination and return, so ping of 10, ping of 90, says nothing, is like saying it took me three hours, three hours to where?. A ping is a time based on a distance, if you dont say that, then value is null. You can say Im on texas and my ping to california is 50 ms, thats something, but still, game servers are on a different location so ping is something you have to take in mind every time you play, however.

All your pings will be ok, why? because you have a good upload, or more than enough, and also download speed, people here ignores how much a gaming packet is on megabits, well, is not much people, and for example a SFIV gaming packet ony streams about 1 megabyte in a minute. Your speed is far beyond that so you can even stream something and play at the same time.

Also your gaming packets are not pings, pings sometimes are delayed blocked on purpose as the network recognize them as no priority.

Also ping or any packet, dont take more time based on distance, it takes more time based on how many networking components it finds in the way, for example, if a distance is short but has 5 routers and 2 switches there will be more lag than a longer one with only 3 routers, but, usually longer distances have more networking components.

Download speed is not the best but is good enough to receive fast the gaming packages, and to send them as well. That ping of 90 to lol, is the time your packet travles to lol servers and come back, is a good ping.
---
Gamertag: Alehappy
#16LazerLXXVII2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 1:39:17 PM
Seems to make sense, I just hear mixed things about the 90 ping.
#17TreGoodaPosted 12/9/2013 2:01:09 PM
drink posted...
ping is the biggest thing, you should be fine

This,

It doesn't take a lot of bandwidth. Your connection is definitely fine for gaming.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#18Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/9/2013 2:11:40 PM
Gothmogz posted...
How so many people posts here without knowing crap?.

Ill explain.

Ping is the time it takes for a small packed to go to destination and return, so ping of 10, ping of 90, says nothing, is like saying it took me three hours, three hours to where?. A ping is a time based on a distance, if you dont say that, then value is null. You can say Im on texas and my ping to california is 50 ms, thats something, but still, game servers are on a different location so ping is something you have to take in mind every time you play, however.

All your pings will be ok, why? because you have a good upload, or more than enough, and also download speed, people here ignores how much a gaming packet is on megabits, well, is not much people, and for example a SFIV gaming packet ony streams about 1 megabyte in a minute. Your speed is far beyond that so you can even stream something and play at the same time.

Also your gaming packets are not pings, pings sometimes are delayed blocked on purpose as the network recognize them as no priority.

Also ping or any packet, dont take more time based on distance, it takes more time based on how many networking components it finds in the way, for example, if a distance is short but has 5 routers and 2 switches there will be more lag than a longer one with only 3 routers, but, usually longer distances have more networking components.

Download speed is not the best but is good enough to receive fast the gaming packages, and to send them as well. That ping of 90 to lol, is the time your packet travles to lol servers and come back, is a good ping.

Is this how they sold you on the gamer package for your Internet? lol
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#19GothmogzPosted 12/9/2013 3:57:24 PM
Actually is my from knowledge and experience as engineer.
---
Gamertag: Alehappy