Anyone else think there's a downside to realistic graphics?

#1Pantera_head667Posted 12/9/2013 4:59:13 AM
In the same kind of way that when you see these ultra realistic looking Japanese robots that look like humans and such, it just ends up looking creepy and odd. Take LA Noir for example, did anyone else just think the face technology in it looked bizarre? There's a real psychological unnerving if we look at something that's so human, when we know it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, they've achieved so much and it amazes me to see really lifelike scenery in games, AC4 is a definite stand out, but when it comes to recreating human beings, the more realistic it gets, the more 'off' it'll end up looking. Does anyone else ever think about this?
---
_,-' Dance to the decadence dance '-,_
#2bigshot2000Posted 12/9/2013 5:03:37 AM
only downside that i see is developers putting too much effort into a game to make it 'look pretty' and not enough into making it fun.

with platformers for example there was a nice fluid motion to olden games, but now there isn't or as much as there was.

dont get me wrong, pretty is nice, but i went for the xbox for this reason, fun games not graphics.

its the reason why i play alot of nintendo stuff as well.
---
If 3DS is announced to be coming out in November
ShadowofStatue: I will pee, for the first time in my life T-Viral-X: You...YOU ARE INHUMAN!
#3JolteonPosted 12/9/2013 5:04:44 AM
The concept you are describing is called the uncanny valley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#4krystylaPosted 12/9/2013 5:05:01 AM
Realistic graphics make motion capture almost a necessity
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#5JolteonPosted 12/9/2013 5:09:56 AM
I think that games are often able to bypass the uncanny valley by using exaggerated features, like large eyes, for example. They're real enough to be technically impressive, but juuuuust fake enough not to be creepy. It's definitely a thing though, and just as assuredly something that game developers have to be careful of.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#6Pantera_head667(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 5:11:26 AM
Jolteon posted...
The concept you are describing is called the uncanny valley.

Thank you, i couldn't remember the term for it, ive seen it being explained on vsauce. Glad someone knows what i'm on about haha.
---
_,-' Dance to the decadence dance '-,_
#7Lovely_DisasterPosted 12/9/2013 5:50:24 AM
I'm not really thinking of the same thing you are talking about (uncanny valley or whatever) but yeah. For me it's more like with a lot of modern games the graphics/textures/lighting, etc. are so detailed or realistic but because of that it can be difficult to see where I am going or what I can interact with. Some games give you this highlight or some kind of visual cue that lets you know what you can interact with (like assassin's creed) but with like say......Fallout 3 or New Vegas yeah. It can be difficult at times to find items on the ground because of the textures or lighting. Uh yeah.
---
"Ign is INFAMOUS for giving nintendo games a low score." - SMASHKING84