XB1 self publishing clause leads to Indie game going PS-platform exclusive.

#51cruzateuPosted 12/10/2013 6:24:53 AM
BigSnappaX posted...

AAA Indie game

that is the most stupid statement i`ve ever heard on gamefaqs.

On topic: that police only hurts gamers. It would be beneficial, even for ms, to remove it.
---
Do you even LLOYDS?
#52SupaShigPosted 12/10/2013 7:16:08 AM
cruzateu posted...
BigSnappaX posted...

AAA Indie game

that is the most stupid statement i`ve ever heard on gamefaqs.

Star Citizen.
#53HungoverHero777Posted 12/10/2013 7:21:52 AM
TheDon1981 posted...
Sorry about the WiiU issue.
A honest mistake...
but again, who cares about WiiU anyway? :P

And your excuse for PC?
---
"I'd rather die tomorrow as myself, than live forever as someone else." - Blues, DLN: 000
Have a Wii U, getting a PS4.
#54chrish909Posted 12/10/2013 7:29:01 AM
Ms has to do this or else devs will be able to get ms to do whatever they want. Software sales are higher for xbox than ps so all the devs interested in making a successful indy will follow suit.
---
This is why I'm never going to get a ps4
http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml
#55boolzeroPosted 12/10/2013 9:48:58 AM(edited)
Folks can sensationalize this however they want but this is just smart business on MS's part... You'd be a fool to think that the competition isn't doing the same in some form or another. Indie developers [normally] don't take this as personally as the fans do; this is all a part of how business works in the game development industry. Nor do they go blasting their story over the Internet. That's just reeks of unprofessionalism.

As an indie developer, you either try to release on your own and hope for the best, or you negotiate deals such as these, play by the rules, or move along and hope for the best. You know that when you get in bed with anyone who wants publishing control you will end up losing a bit of your "baby" with some benefit gained in return, so the whole "big bad corporation" song needs to stop. Both parties benefit from such deals in the end. It's not like the indie dev is going be able to afford the dev kits and have the marketing money and ease of distribution on their own; they will eventually partner with someone and bend over to some terms that are going to be less than agreeable somewhere else anyway.

Lets not knock MS just because theirs seemed the less agreeable for this particular indie in this particular instance. There are plenty of other indie developers who partner with MS and don't seem to hold issue with their terms. If anything, this shows poorly in the developer and their rather limited and immature business experience.

In short: move along, nothing to see here. TC doesn't understand how the business of game development actually works or posted this here merely to incite and instigate the uninformed. But I am sure folks just want to raise pitchforks and torches here to burn the monster anyway... Most aren't here for sensible conversation, they just want to see a burn a perceived witch...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#56billsfanno1Posted 12/10/2013 9:37:37 AM
The release day parity only applies if the developer accepts free development tools. In essence, MS is saying if we give you free stuff, we want you to repay the favor through release date parity. The alternative is that the developer can pay for these tools the way they would with Sony and Nintendo. But this developer in particular would apparently rather get some press by sensationalizing a story.
#57SupaShigPosted 12/10/2013 10:45:38 AM
boolzero posted...
Folks can sensationalize this however they want but this is just smart business on MS's part... You'd be a fool to think that the competition isn't doing the same in some form or another. Indie developers [normally] don't take this as personally as the fans do; this is all a part of how business works in the game development industry. Nor do they go blasting their story over the Internet. That's just reeks of unprofessionalism.

As an indie developer, you either try to release on your own and hope for the best, or you negotiate deals such as these, play by the rules, or move along and hope for the best. You know that when you get in bed with anyone who wants publishing control you will end up losing a bit of your "baby" with some benefit gained in return, so the whole "big bad corporation" song needs to stop. Both parties benefit from such deals in the end. It's not like the indie dev is going be able to afford the dev kits and have the marketing money and ease of distribution on their own; they will eventually partner with someone and bend over to some terms that are going to be less than agreeable somewhere else anyway.

Lets not knock MS just because theirs seemed the less agreeable for this particular indie in this particular instance. There are plenty of other indie developers who partner with MS and don't seem to hold issue with their terms. If anything, this shows poorly in the developer and their rather limited and immature business experience.

In short: move along, nothing to see here. TC doesn't understand how the business of game development actually works or posted this here merely to incite and instigate the uninformed. But I am sure folks just want to raise pitchforks and torches here to burn the monster anyway... Most aren't here for sensible conversation, they just want to see a burn a perceived witch...

You're wrong. Incentivise, don't punish. If they would give indie devs incentive to release at the same time instead of punishing them for not doing so, they would look better to the indie scene AND gamers would be happy due to getting more games. Pull the blinders over your eyes all you want, but punishing an indie developer who is already just that, a small time developer, is no way to go about this at all.

I'm not even talking about cash bonus incentives or anything like that. Just let them know they will get front page exposure if they get onto the One at the same time or earlier. If they don't they will just be thrown into the shop.
#58boolzeroPosted 12/10/2013 9:16:47 PM
SupaShig posted...

You're wrong. Incentivise, don't punish. If they would give indie devs incentive to release at the same time instead of punishing them for not doing so, they would look better to the indie scene AND gamers would be happy due to getting more games. Pull the blinders over your eyes all you want, but punishing an indie developer who is already just that, a small time developer, is no way to go about this at all.

I'm not even talking about cash bonus incentives or anything like that. Just let them know they will get front page exposure if they get onto the One at the same time or earlier. If they don't they will just be thrown into the shop.

I'll just say that I really don't think you understand how the business model works if that is your answer. That's not an insult or slieght mind you, I just really don't think you truly understand the business model.

The straight of it: if you think that the game development business, and more particularly the publishing aspect is modeled to the benefit of the "fans" than you are entirely misinformed. Its about holding publishing licenses, creating a demand and making decisions that lead to profitability. You seem to be looking at this from a gamers point of view when really, as gamers, you/we don't matter in this particular instance of the equation. Further, if an indie game developer feels that strongly about their project, then perhaps they should stick to self publishing and see how that pans out for them (or rather how long they can stay afloat).

Mind you, this comes from my experience, not conjecture. As an indie developer the statistics are largely against you so you don't go biting the hand that's trying to feed you when you look for help; or do so to garner free publicity, because other publishers will take note to avoid you...

In any case, this particular dev felt they deserved special treatment and didn't feel that the terms every other indie developer [whom signs with MS] should apply to them, then used it as advertising fuel when they couldn't get their way.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#59ThatLaoGuyPosted 12/10/2013 9:26:17 PM
that's why ps4 always wins!. I'm actually looking forward to all the indie titles that are coming to the ps4. I was never the indie type of gamer, but after last gen where it was just COD after COD, somethings have to change and I kinda slowed it down a bit and trying to play some single player games now.

It's a shame, xbone. More bad news on top of bad news.
---
Xbone fanboys are weird little irrational creatures. It's fun making them contradict themselves.
#60slyman19Posted 12/10/2013 10:02:20 PM
Heathenutopia posted...
And Sony owns the blue-ray tech you'll be playing Titanfall on. There are a whole bunch of stupid points being made in this thread.

Not really. A big group of companies owns Blu-Ray.
---
Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn tuonnthunntrovarrhounawns kawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk is my favorite game ever!