Forza 5s MEGAtransactions are this generations...

#1CallmegePosted 12/9/2013 4:25:45 PM
...horse armour.

i.e. the backlash will make developers think hard about how and when to implement microtransactions after this and within a couple of years we will start to see some decent implementation of them.

They're really not all bad, especially in free to play games. I believe World of Tanks is coming to Xbone? That does free2play and microtransactions perfectly and hopefully gamers will see from it that microtransactions aren't necessarily bad or pay2win.

Buying a tank at a higher tier than the tanks you have earned through play will just get you pwn3d in WoT, as you just come up against more skilled players. And NONE of the premium tanks are any better than the free ones, just different. They offer exclusivity but not an advantage. All the top tier tanks are free too.... ok they cost like 6 million credits which is TONS but you earn credits by playing.

Discuss.
---
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008
#2BraxSimeonPosted 12/9/2013 4:29:54 PM
Horse armor always gets cited, but, as should be obvious at this point, DLC didn't go away. Horse Armor being a perfect example, if you wanted it, great - if you didn't, great.

I'd love to see the distribution model get more and more digital, and I'd love to see the sorts of models that have been working so fantastically on the App Store make their way to the consoles. Yeah, yeah... it'll never happen... greed... whatever else. Truth is, when the devs can monetize more directly, they do things differently than they can with the current models.

In the perfect world, I think we have some games following the whole "all or nothing" model that we see with most of the retail-disc based games, some games following F2P, some following a hybrid. I love seeing Ascend on a console - maybe we can get PvZ 2 as well.

The truth is, I spend more time on mobile gaming these days than I do console gaming - console gaming could learn a thing or two - hopefully it does.
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#3AzaneAzerPosted 12/9/2013 4:33:48 PM(edited)
Best impementation is to not.

Screwing over games by selling them withhold content was already old 5 years ago. it's ridiculous now, especially when 74% of AAA DLCs in 2013 were Pre-release or Day 1 DLC... lol.

In some cases, I'd rather just pay 10 extra bucks on a sold game than have to nickle and dime those 10 bucks on a ton of DLC to make the game always feel incomplete.

But, now companies decided "season pass" deals will have multiple seasons, so, Again, charging you even more for content you already paid for, yay.
#4Callmege(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 4:39:50 PM
BraxSimeon posted...
Horse armor always gets cited, but, as should be obvious at this point, DLC didn't go away. Horse Armor being a perfect example, if you wanted it, great - if you didn't, great.

Thats pretty much what I'm getting at. The backlash from horse armour was huge and companies got a lot better with their DLC offerings. On disc DLC needs to die and day 1 dlc is annoying but understandable in some circumstances (though I'd prefer they focused their post gold attention on bug fixes) but overall DLC got much better,

The truth is, I spend more time on mobile gaming these days than I do console gaming - console gaming could learn a thing or two - hopefully it does.

Same. And if it wasn't for Steams irresistible deals I'd probably spend more on mobile gaming too. Just the other day I bought myself another builder in clash of clans but its been a few weeks since I bought anything on Steam.

Yeah I know not a console.
---
#5CKnightPosted 12/9/2013 4:44:18 PM
In general I hate the explosion of season passes, BF4, Ghost and Forza 5 all have $50 season passes.

It's getting stupid.
#6jjordan0002Posted 12/9/2013 4:44:48 PM
Actually paying 120 dollars for one car is this generations horse armor
---
Xbox Live: D3ad1yV1rus
#7Frost_LASERPosted 12/9/2013 4:46:19 PM
I'm in the xbox WoT beta and I enjoy it but some of those tier 8 premium tanks on the PC are pretty freaking expensive.
#8BraxSimeonPosted 12/9/2013 4:46:48 PM
Callmege posted...
BraxSimeon posted...

Thats pretty much what I'm getting at. The backlash from horse armour was huge and companies got a lot better with their DLC offerings. On disc DLC needs to die and day 1 dlc is annoying but understandable in some circumstances (though I'd prefer they focused their post gold attention on bug fixes) but overall DLC got much better,

Same. And if it wasn't for Steams irresistible deals I'd probably spend more on mobile gaming too. Just the other day I bought myself another builder in clash of clans but its been a few weeks since I bought anything on Steam.

Yeah I know not a console.

I don't think the backlash was a big as people act like it was. The people who don't like DLC moaned, but it still sold (because there are other people who did like it). It's hard for people to adjust to changes, but this is an industry where people vote with their wallets. If someone puts out something no one wants, it doesn't sell. If no on wanted what DLC offered, it would have died a long time ago.

The problem is, there are some people that have a terrible time understanding that other people have different wants/needs/opinions than they do. So there's griping about DLC from a portion of the gaming population that thinks DLC ruins games - in the meantime, there are plenty of gamers that LIKE what DLC adds. Funny thing is, DLC gives more options than the "you buy everything or your get nothing" model that console gamers expect now.

Like I said, at it's core, it's about not wanting to change - once people embrace the options, (and stop fixating on what they think they "don't get" that they "should" get), the world of DLC and MT and F2P and whatever else comes isn't so bad. In fact, there's some really good things about it.
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#9wolfwingPosted 12/9/2013 4:49:02 PM
Well the issue with horse armor was the price vs the value. Your getting a 5 second graphics thing for the same price that you can get entire quest series with later oblivion DLC.

I was one of those that complained, I didn't hate oblivion DLC idea, being on console I was all for it, I hated the cost and how little was given, I was afraid and so were many others, that were going to play 4-5$"s for a 10 second DLC every time.
---
currently Playing Pokemon X/white 2
#10Callmege(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 4:55:43 PM(edited)
Frost_LASER posted...
I'm in the xbox WoT beta and I enjoy it but some of those tier 8 premium tanks on the PC are pretty freaking expensive.

Yeah but the game is free and you can get plenty of tier 8 tanks for free too. I have never spent a penny on WoT (and I'm guessing most others havent either, considering the state of the servers) and yet I have a blast playing it most evenings.

EDIT: Nothing quite like camping in a bush with your elite Tank Destroyer waiting for captain_noobcaek in his light tank to get the jitters and charge at you head first and then promptly turning his crew into a stain on the landscape.
---