Can an "online-only" game like Titanfall really be a huge console seller for X1?

#31dnmtPosted 12/10/2013 3:40:13 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
GotTruth posted...
GotTruth posted...
jayoheazy posted...
Wow, didn't know that TitanFall was online only. I'm assuming this means no traditional campaign/story arc?

Wait there is a Story/Campaign mode on CoD and BF?

*mind is blown*

Cute, but I don't believe for a second you didn't know that. Not one second.

Your sarcasm detector is working as it should.

Just pointing out that you DO NOT need a SP component to be madly successful, as those two franchises prove. I think the LAST CoD SP I played through was MW2. Never even bothered with SP in BF3. It was ALL about MP, with SP feeling like it was just tacked on for "old times" sake. We wont EVEN get into the trash SP that was BO, and I my SP experience with THAT PoS kept me FAR AWAY from BO2 SP. Love or Hate em, one thing is undeniable about them, they SELL.

They also prove that you don't need to make major changes in any part of the game, just make some new maps, shift the weapon balance, package it and ship it; and you can sell MILLIONS of copies EVERY year. So there is THAT too....... 0.o

Successful, yes, as successful, no. CoD would lose millions of sales if they cut the campaign. I know you obviously don't care about it, but I wouldn't even consider playing CoD without SP.

Yep. I, too, don't care much about CoD's or BF's single player but a lot of other people do. You simply can't get CoD numbers without a solid single player campaign.
#32GotTruthPosted 12/10/2013 4:23:44 AM(edited)
GotTruth posted...
GotTruth posted...
jayoheazy posted...
Wow, didn't know that TitanFall was online only. I'm assuming this means no traditional campaign/story arc?

Wait there is a Story/Campaign mode on CoD and BF?

*mind is blown*

Cute, but I don't believe for a second you didn't know that. Not one second.

Your sarcasm detector is working as it should.

Just pointing out that you DO NOT need a SP component to be madly successful, as those two franchises prove. I think the LAST CoD SP I played through was MW2. Never even bothered with SP in BF3. It was ALL about MP, with SP feeling like it was just tacked on for "old times" sake. We wont EVEN get into the trash SP that was BO, and I my SP experience with THAT PoS kept me FAR AWAY from BO2 SP. Love or Hate em, one thing is undeniable about them, they SELL.

They also prove that you don't need to make major changes in any part of the game, just make some new maps, shift the weapon balance, package it and ship it; and you can sell MILLIONS of copies EVERY year. So there is THAT too....... 0.o

Successful, yes, as successful, no. CoD would lose millions of sales if they cut the campaign. I know you obviously don't care about it, but I wouldn't even consider playing CoD without SP.

Really? I mean I LOVED MW2 SP.....thought it would transfer over to MW3....boy was I WRONG there. So we DONT invade Russia? WTF? MW3 was mashed up bag of @$$ as far as THAT SP went.

BO? Oh man I will seriously hit Craig Houston in the face for BO1. I REALLY want to ask him if he just got drunk on his writers advance then just puked up a HORID mash-up of Fight Club meets Apocalypse Now when he realized his Turn In date was 12 hours away.......I mean he could have at least TRIED to NOT blatantly plagiarize the main plot points/twists form the last 2 movies he saw on USA up all night......
Seriously that SP was TERRIBLE.....
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#33scoobydoobydontPosted 12/10/2013 5:03:59 AM
GotTruth posted...
Really?(...)

Yup. Even a bad story with good SP gameplay is more interesting/worthwhile to me than MP. I dabble in MP only when IRL friends are an option. I just don't care much about it, the time with friends is the only draw to it for me. I'm not competitive at all, and I don't like relying on others or having others relying on me (as in co op), it messes with my ability to go at my own pace and adds unwanted pressure (even if no one is taking it seriously) that I just don't find fun. I'm glad you have the stuff you want, I wish people (not necessarily you) who enjoy MP would just stop with the 'lol, no one cares about SP, they should get rid of it!' We can all have what we want the way it is now. Except in TF, obviously. =(
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwlt4FqmS0
#34ssj954vegitoPosted 12/10/2013 8:01:56 AM
You can all play with bots you know that right?
---
Proud to be EPic.
You ever notice that everything in the universe spins?
#35TyrannicalPosted 12/10/2013 8:30:41 AM
CoD should have ditched SP campaign years ago, few people played it and it was a waste of time and effort. The series was big because of MP.

Now we have Titan Fall doing it right, no wasted effort on SP campaign or special MP maps. The entire campaign is designed around two player teams battling through campaign levels. And the E3 footage with jet pack wall jumps and mechs even the JPs were drooling over at the Tokyo game show means this was the right decision.

Titan Fall will be the game to get on Xbone when it hits in march and it will move a lot of consoles. CoD/BF have been a let down, and Bungee's Destiny doesn't hit until September. That gives it six months with no competition.
---
Australian customs: Do you have a criminal record?
Me: I didn't think you needed one anymore.
#36BDJaycePosted 12/10/2013 8:38:15 AM
Tyrannical posted...
CoD should have ditched SP campaign years ago, few people played it and it was a waste of time and effort. The series was big because of MP.

Now we have Titan Fall doing it right, no wasted effort on SP campaign or special MP maps. The entire campaign is designed around two player teams battling through campaign levels. And the E3 footage with jet pack wall jumps and mechs even the JPs were drooling over at the Tokyo game show means this was the right decision.

Titan Fall will be the game to get on Xbone when it hits in march and it will move a lot of consoles. CoD/BF have been a let down, and Bungee's Destiny doesn't hit until September. That gives it six months with no competition.

I'm of a differing belief. If a game doesn't even make an attempt at a single player portion it's not worth my time. At least Call of Duty put some effort into their single players.. that I, personally, played for every CoD that has come out.

Titanfall just said 'screw it, let's appease less than half of the Xbox target audience.. that'll do something, right?'
---
GT: JamesBolton0723
#37Exodus_PrimePosted 12/10/2013 8:39:56 AM
Wait...wait...I thought the reason people buy millions of copies of COD was to play the campaign? oh wait they don't...
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#38krystylaPosted 12/10/2013 8:47:08 AM
BDJayce posted...
Tyrannical posted...

I'm of a differing belief. If a game doesn't even make an attempt at a single player portion it's not worth my time. At least Call of Duty put some effort into their single players.. that I, personally, played for every CoD that has come out.

Titanfall just said 'screw it, let's appease less than half of the Xbox target audience.. that'll do something, right?'

No they said, hey lets not waste resources on a SP that will suck anyway
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#39BDJaycePosted 12/10/2013 8:56:45 AM
Exodus_Prime posted...
Wait...wait...I thought the reason people buy millions of copies of COD was to play the campaign? oh wait they don't...

Ghosts didn't outsell Black Ops 2..

Black Ops 2, which people call awful in most respects, managed to also beat MW3 in sales..

Black Ops 2, in my opinion, had the best campaign of any CoD in years.
---
GT: JamesBolton0723
#40jayoheazyPosted 12/10/2013 8:05:58 PM
krystyla posted...
BDJayce posted...
Tyrannical posted...

No they said, hey lets not waste resources on a SP that will suck anyway

This will be their first outing as Respawn Entertainment, so I imagine it's a really small group putting all it's eggs in one basket.

Also, there doesn't seem to be much marketing around the 'online only' aspect of it's design. So rather than them being like 'F-- it, let's just go big or go home' I'm actually inclined to believe they're hoping most people don't notice...