Should Microsoft and NSA gather information about Xbox One users or not?

#1FeatherwindPosted 12/10/2013 9:19:27 AM(edited)
Whether they actually right now collect information or not would it be acceptable if they did? What methods are acceptable and what are not? Why would someone not want Microsoft or NSA to gather information about them?
---
pathological
#2shootsmackPosted 12/10/2013 9:23:13 AM
Of course they should have the right as it will bring us more better television shows in the future.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#3Jiggy101011Posted 12/10/2013 9:24:43 AM
shootsmack posted...
Of course they should have the right as it will bring us more better television shows in the future.

Bring us more better... oh my goodness.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
If you want to troll, provide a source to backup your claims.
#4MRL3G3NDPosted 12/10/2013 9:27:27 AM
for what...it certainly is not for our benefit.

I stopped using my discount card at the drug store, because I found out they were tracking my purchases and giving me coupons based on what I bought

How convenient it was when they gave me a coupon on condoms on my receipt...

this bs needs to stop...it will never stop because the government condones it.
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#5Cowboy082288Posted 12/10/2013 9:32:23 AM
You do realize that the info gathered by the NSA was info already given to companies? The NSA came and said to google, apple, MS, facebook, verizon, ect. "Hey that info your customers and users give you, we want access to it, and you are obligated to give it to us."

When you make a call with your cell phone the info about when you called and who you called is 'given' to verizon (or whatever carrier). NSA wanted access to that information.

What got people upset is that normally a court order would be required to get this kind of info on a specific target, but now they are just gathering all of this info continuously. They store all of this 'meta data' and when they want to investigate a target they just search the database for the info on that person.

I think it is an overreach of governmental powers but I'm not a tinfoil hat nut that thinks some NSA guy is staring at my face through my iPad, smartphone, kinect or whatever camera you have that is connected to the net.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#6khardboredPosted 12/10/2013 9:40:19 AM
I have no issue with it. If it actually helps them catch people that need to be caught, why not?
99.9% of us will never know if we have been monitored either. Nor will it have any adverse impact on our lives.

People champion their fight for privacy while walking around with a smart phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, cable TV etc etc. Echelon has been doing this for a very long time and will continue to do so.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#7Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 9:45:24 AM
Cowboy082288 posted...
You do realize that the info gathered by the NSA was info already given to companies?

I don't know or care what they actually did or didn't do. I want to know what people have against the concept of Microsoft and NSA gathering information about them.

They have some motive to store the data and to interpret it but on the other hand a noticeable amount of posters here seem to be against the idea of that data being used by MS and NSA for whatever they do with it.
---
pathological
#8aszsithPosted 12/10/2013 9:48:44 AM
This is the INFORMATION AGE. Data farming exists and isn't going away. Even if legislation is passed to stop the data collection, the damage is done. Legislation cant magically delete every hard drive for every data farmer and eliminate the immeasurable amount of data already collected.

It isn't just the American government doing it either. You think that same data isn't also being collected by agencies in the UK (who were also specifically mentioned by the whistle blower) as well as agencies like Interpol?

Is it right? Of course not. Is it going to change? Not likely. You can accept it and move on, ignore it and move on, not use any modern technology and move on, or take up arms and take your chances against the most advanced military force on the planet.

The lease productive thing one can do is come to a video game forum site and gripe about it. What does that solve?
---
I own a XBOne, PS3, XBOX360, and Wii. I'm in it for the gameplay, not the logo on the box. Can you say the same?
#9bob15xPosted 12/10/2013 9:52:59 AM
Featherwind posted...
Whether they actually right now collect information or not would it be acceptable if they did? What methods are acceptable and what are not? Why would someone not want Microsoft or NSA to gather information about them?

MS is not collecting the info, the NSA is and they will get any info they want whether people like it or not
#10kakarot-uchihaPosted 12/10/2013 10:28:24 AM
khardbored posted...
I have no issue with it. If it actually helps them catch people that need to be caught, why not?
99.9% of us will never know if we have been monitored either. Nor will it have any adverse impact on our lives.

People champion their fight for privacy while walking around with a smart phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, cable TV etc etc. Echelon has been doing this for a very long time and will continue to do so.

you've trolled my topics, consistently just insult people, i've flat out asked you for normal responses and you just troll, you are in every kinnect article doing this over and over giving some of the dumbest poorly thought out comments, HOW THE HELL CAN YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT ECHELON IS!?!

you literally parrot what state approved media said about it 15 yrs ago. it was literally called a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory. you use the same language making fun and attempting to discredit modern day privacy advocates. AND YOU'VE HEARD OF THAT PROGRAM!?

now don't get me wrong i totally respect you for even knowing, and if you actually looked stuff up at any point you have my respect.

granted echelon is quite dated now and has been absorbed and refined but still cool for the reference.