Should Microsoft and NSA gather information about Xbox One users or not?

#11khardboredPosted 12/10/2013 9:48:50 AM
kakarot-uchiha posted...
khardbored posted...
I have no issue with it. If it actually helps them catch people that need to be caught, why not?
99.9% of us will never know if we have been monitored either. Nor will it have any adverse impact on our lives.

People champion their fight for privacy while walking around with a smart phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, cable TV etc etc. Echelon has been doing this for a very long time and will continue to do so.

you've trolled my topics, consistently just insult people, i've flat out asked you for normal responses and you just troll, you are in every kinnect article doing this over and over giving some of the dumbest poorly thought out comments, HOW THE HELL CAN YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT ECHELON IS!?!

you literally parrot what state approved media said about it 15 yrs ago. it was literally called a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory. you use the same language making fun and attempting to discredit modern day privacy advocates. AND YOU'VE HEARD OF THAT PROGRAM!?

now don't get me wrong i totally respect you for even knowing, and if you actually looked stuff up at any point you have my respect.

granted echelon is quite dated now and has been absorbed and refined but still cool for the reference.

I've never trolled you or anyone, actually. Nor do I recall you ever directly asking me anything.

Echelon is real and it does what the media claims it does. Look into it. There are far more capable ways the government spies on us, however.

I also very curious to know where you think my comments aren't thought out or how they are dumb.
I've been defending this console for a very long time on this board but have taken a break since it launched. Most people around here know that I do not troll people. Nor do I tend to insult users directly. I more or less use a broad, far-reaching comment style when I want to say something negative about a specific type of person.

Back to me trolling your topics. Until now, I haven't paid much attention to user names. So if I happen to come into every Kinect thread, which you seem to be in as well, that also says a bit yourself.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#12khardboredPosted 12/10/2013 9:52:54 AM
One more thing, again I guess.
You say you have asked me direct questions and I just troll. Can you please link me to any of these topics where you asked me a question and I trolled you? Really curious about this.

I did have a stint about 3 weeks ago where I was pretty harsh on the PS4 but aside from a select few users, I don't think I have ever actually trolled anyone, maybe insulted, sure, but not troll.
---
#13muffinmasherPosted 12/10/2013 10:03:27 AM
I don't think it matters what anyone thinks or wants. They'll continue to do it.

That said, I'm against them gathering information about your average American.
---
3DS FC: 0173-1320-7190
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#14kakarot-uchihaPosted 12/10/2013 10:36:17 AM
bob15x posted...
Featherwind posted...
Whether they actually right now collect information or not would it be acceptable if they did? What methods are acceptable and what are not? Why would someone not want Microsoft or NSA to gather information about them?

MS is not collecting the info, the NSA is and they will get any info they want whether people like it or not

thats a violation of your rights. a blatant abuse of power against citizens. that's totalitarian.

tc, there is no world where this isn't abused. i'll give you a couple reasons and i think its awesome they way you worded and asked this.

separate from ms, reason one is free speech and privacy are connected.

two, cointelpro

three, using this data to specifically single out a particular demographic based on the whims of people in power.

tc why on earth would you think you cant be tomorrow's tea party. before the tea party was the beginning of a new political party, before that the civil rights movement. so when the government was secretly wiretapping its citizens, (beginning the irrefutable slippery slope incrementalization)
would you have said the same. its a factual matter of history and present day that the data gathered is used against groups of citizens with different views. right there. un-debunkable. so to stay and feel safe and comforted you literally would have had to be racist to feel no pressure from the government's intrusions.

whether it was simply put on a list, or interference with loans or audit, don't minimalize it. 'oh let em listen, i don't care, i don't believe in civil rights'

after that was the beginnings of a new political party, the one tupac talked about. ' letem listen and collect data, the democrats and republicans have the answer and are unselfishly keeping us on the right path'

today its the tea party and occupy movement, wanting financial transparency, audit the federal reserve.
today the surveillance was used to co-op the teaparty, it was started well before the 08 election and the koch brothers had nothing to do with it. them and sarah palin jumped on it. if you look at history this co-opting has been done with the data and surveillance.

so sure some attacks are stopped some get through, but theres no denying that the info is used politically. maybe you dont care and have never been involved, trusting in a 'peoples' two-party dictatorship paradigm. everything's fine with america, any problem is clearly being fought by the two parties. its totally because of the other party)they are totally not the exact same thing. and as long as you are either state approved party you will never feel the pinch of surveillance or be demonized in the media. "AUDIT THE FED? YOU'RE A RACIST!"
#15khardboredPosted 12/10/2013 10:44:22 AM
The Occupy movement was not what you think it was. Look into it. Look who actually started it and how they used college students or anyone else. They were sheep being led by people with an agenda.

But anyway..

In the end, as I said before, champion your privacy all you like. It won't change much. The vast majority of American citizens would never know if they were being monitored anyway and quite a few of them are, daily. It has zero impact on their lives. None.
---
#16lazycomplifePosted 12/10/2013 10:53:35 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#17kakarot-uchihaPosted 12/10/2013 10:54:47 AM
khardbored posted...
One more thing, again I guess.
You say you have asked me direct questions and I just troll. Can you please link me to any of these topics where you asked me a question and I trolled you? Really curious about this.

I did have a stint about 3 weeks ago where I was pretty harsh on the PS4 but aside from a select few users, I don't think I have ever actually trolled anyone, maybe insulted, sure, but not troll.

fair enough, insulted then, when im clearly explaining cababilties, yet defend the technology. but whatever, the irony still that you would know of an example of the government using surveillance against people, yes with much more precision and oversight but still, why do so aggressively try to discredit someone who wants to keep the privacy they have. this is regardless of ms, i've never once spun this issue to take away points from the console and is minor next to the bigger conversation i usually like to talk about.
#18kakarot-uchihaPosted 12/10/2013 11:05:01 AM
khardbored posted...
The Occupy movement was not what you think it was. Look into it. Look who actually started it and how they used college students or anyone else. They were sheep being led by people with an agenda.

But anyway..

In the end, as I said before, champion your privacy all you like. It won't change much. The vast majority of American citizens would never know if they were being monitored anyway and quite a few of them are, daily. It has zero impact on their lives. None.

i like this way better than a backandforth, maybe i shouldn't have called you a troll, and just said kudos for the reference.

i totally agree it was an agenda, it was some 'we are change' some tea party and some rappers. look at the day one event stuff. when it actually started gaining traction, acorn, sean hannity, snl demonizing it. it was just jumped on by liberals, drowned by conservatives keeping it within the loving arms of the two-party status quo juggling act.
#19SinisterSamuraiPosted 12/10/2013 11:11:18 AM
http://cryptome.org/
Included is a list of "Lawful Spying" reports from major cell carriers, as well as at least one "guide" to lawful spying. Also keep in mind that Voice Recognition software is super advanced, these days. Siri and Kinect aren't state-of-the-art.
---
I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.
#20CyborgTwentyPosted 12/11/2013 12:39:22 PM
No they shouldn't.