Why is gaming a predominantly male hobby?

#1CollCrofterPosted 12/10/2013 3:37:31 PM
My girlfriend tried a bit of Little Big planet and thought it was fun-ish, but that was all.

Apparently it's much more fun to watch crap like X-Factor and other reality shows containing plastic girls fighting each other over just as plastic guys...

(also posted next door ;)
---
Nobody's perfect, but when you're from Scotland you're pretty damn close!
#2BrownGottiPosted 12/10/2013 3:40:52 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3CollCrofter(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 3:40:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4AzaneAzerPosted 12/10/2013 3:41:06 PM(edited)
40% of gamers are female, it's only a perception that men are so dominant in the market.

The fact that the male demographic has so many games catered to them, makes it amazing that women are that close.

look at the DS or 3DS, or wii, and all those fashion designer games, the young women outsold young men for most of the DS' lifespan.

Remember when Microsoft told 40% of it's userbase to get back in the Kitchen?
#5TOhasNoRingPosted 12/10/2013 3:41:24 PM
AzaneAzer posted...
40% of gamers are female, it's only a perception that men are so dominant in the market.

The fact that the male demographic has so many games catered to them, makes it amazing that women are that close.

look at the DS or 3DS, or wii, and all those fashion designer games, the young women outsold young men for most of the DS' lifespan.

Link saying 40% of gamers are women?
---
Intel Atom 1.40GHz - 1GB DDR3 SDRAM - Serial ATA 5400 RPM HDD - Intel GMA 3600
#6CollCrofter(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 3:41:40 PM
AzaneAzer posted...

That's very true... I guess I was talking more about PS4 and XBox One
---
Nobody's perfect, but when you're from Scotland you're pretty damn close!
#7DJ break beatsPosted 12/10/2013 3:42:57 PM
AzaneAzer posted...

Source? If you're including mobile gaming then I wouldn't ask bit for console / PC gaming no way it's 60/40!
---
"Are you going to bark all day, little doggie, or are you going to bite?" - Mr. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs.
#8RyuuHou25Posted 12/10/2013 3:46:24 PM
According to the ESA it's 45%

However, they don't really stipulate what a gamer actually is, nor how they go about getting these results either.

Also, it's purely US based, so.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#9GamingLoserPosted 12/10/2013 3:48:00 PM
BrownGotti posted...
Because you don't keep your console in the kitchen!

Oh!!!!

I thought it was because consoles can't vacuum and dust the house, but you could be right.
---
"I got a Gamecast."
#10mewmew42Posted 12/10/2013 3:52:35 PM
Because women grew up and became mature human beings\