Why is gaming a predominantly male hobby?

#81BushidoEffect3Posted 12/11/2013 5:04:54 AM
Ray_d2nerd posted...
BushidoEffect3 posted...
Just like how most straight men aren't as involved with girly stuff and movies and shows.

As an uncle i have to disagree. i kinda get forced into that crap by my niece.
So for every girly stuff she likes, we do stuff i like. That being sad, i'm really
grateful her cooking mama phase is over. XD

I actually think many straight men (especially fathers) are forced to do some girly stuff with their daughters.

How i loathe christmas, she will probably put glitter on my beard again.

Oh well in your case, that's all cool =) I was only referring to ordinary circumstance and core games. Lol cooking mama. Of course its good for fathers to get involved with their kids activities.
---
http://i.imgur.com/TUf4vEL.gif
http://youtu.be/jhTaQizF4z4
#82Ray_d2nerdPosted 12/11/2013 5:11:22 AM
BushidoEffect3 posted...
Ray_d2nerd posted...
BushidoEffect3 posted...
Just like how most straight men aren't as involved with girly stuff and movies and shows.

As an uncle i have to disagree. i kinda get forced into that crap by my niece.
So for every girly stuff she likes, we do stuff i like. That being sad, i'm really
grateful her cooking mama phase is over. XD

I actually think many straight men (especially fathers) are forced to do some girly stuff with their daughters.

Oh well in your case, that's all cool =) I was only referring to ordinary circumstance and core games. Lol cooking mama. Of course its good for fathers to get involved with their kids activities.

I also do believe that core gaming has a bigger male audience.
Women seem to enjoy more simple facebook/ap type of games in general.
However, the lines of the demographic are starting to slowly blur.
---
"i was a too long signature for gamefaqs so i changed myself into this miserable shape!"
From Ray_D2Nerd's Signature.
#83CrysianiaPosted 12/11/2013 7:18:25 AM(edited)
AzaneAzer posted...
40% of gamers are female, it's only a perception that men are so dominant in the market.

The fact that the male demographic has so many games catered to them, makes it amazing that women are that close.

look at the DS or 3DS, or wii, and all those fashion designer games, the young women outsold young men for most of the DS' lifespan.

Remember when Microsoft told 40% of it's userbase to get back in the Kitchen?

Mobile gaming doesn't count.
---
PSN - Sacred_Darksoul
#84ILikesCheesePosted 12/11/2013 7:07:27 AM
CollCrofter posted...
My girlfriend tried a bit of Little Big planet and thought it was fun-ish, but that was all.

Apparently it's much more fun to watch crap like X-Factor and other reality shows containing plastic girls fighting each other over just as plastic guys...

You're generalizing the female race because of your interactions with your girlfriend. If you were to have MANY female friends and family, and actually hook up with a woman who shares some of your likes and dislikes, then maybe you would see a different side to things.

I actually know more women who like video games than I do who like Football. (The real, American NFL Football, not that UK footsie stuff.)
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#85kdognumba1Posted 12/11/2013 7:37:27 AM
There's plenty of girl gamers, just the split with consoles is more male driven. In my time playing WoW, most of my friends I made on it were women.
---
http://backloggery.com/kdog254 http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#86BadLuckIncPosted 12/11/2013 7:38:54 AM
AzaneAzer posted...
40% of gamers are female, it's only a perception that men are so dominant in the market.

The fact that the male demographic has so many games catered to them, makes it amazing that women are that close.

look at the DS or 3DS, or wii, and all those fashion designer games, the young women outsold young men for most of the DS' lifespan.

Remember when Microsoft told 40% of it's userbase to get back in the Kitchen?

No, that was Nintendo with Cooking Mama.
---
Xbox One Day 1 Edition! Unleash The Ultra Beast!
Xbox GT: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#87BushidoEffect3Posted 12/11/2013 10:27:31 PM
Wii Dead.
---
http://i.imgur.com/TUf4vEL.gif
http://youtu.be/jhTaQizF4z4
#88Keven_KoopaPosted 12/11/2013 10:42:39 PM
Your father is exempt from the definition of "gamer" because you ignore the key word "participant". Your father, by your own admission, is not an active participant in gaming, so he cannot be a gamer.

I have no reason to lie whatsoever. What benefit does it get to "prove my point"? It's so silly to assume that I will lie....
---
And Samus takes off the Zero Suit to reveal that Samus is indeed male, just looks female.
#89SugarFlakesPosted 12/11/2013 10:47:20 PM(edited)
Ray_d2nerd posted...
BushidoEffect3 posted...
That's just too adorable lol.
#90SorbetowulfPosted 12/11/2013 10:55:02 PM
Ray_d2nerd posted...
Sorbetowulf posted...
I'll answer this question speaking as a man, who has a girlfriend that is almost a bigger gamer as I am.

Women are gamers too. Instead of asking why this is a predominantly male hobby, I think it would be more apt to say that forums like these are predominantly male. I've talked to my girlfriend about this, and she believes that it has to do with how they perceive the hobby and more how they perceive our behaviour on forums like these.

Forums like the Xbox One and Playstation 4 message boards, where nerds and fanboys everywhere attempt to prove the superiority of their toy over the toys of their opposites. "Mehhhh. Playstation Network may steal my credit cards, but we sold six times as many consoles. Mehhhhh. We had more launch titles and stole Titanfall. Mehhhhh. Gran Turismo has six times as many cars. Mehhhhh. But they all look like crap compared to my next-gen prettiness. MehhhhhhmehhhhHEHHHHHHhhhhhh."

She has no problem picking up a shooter and hanging out with dudes online and shooting stuff. But she isn't a very present person in the community because trust me, we treat each worse than pro athletes do. I work in the media industry and have conducted locker room interviews, sat in at practices, etc. Nerds, and it isn't just specific to video games, but comics, RPGs, etc, have such pretension and superiority that it actively drives casuals away from participating in boards like these. So that's why most female gamers, who are CASUAL gamers, don't spend a lot of time on places like these.

Look at say... Gamespot's webpage, and pick any news story about Xbox One/Playstation 4. Put yourself in the position of a casual reader, that's probably seldom, if ever, visited the page, and read the absolutely assinine arguments that spring up. Fanatacism, fanboyism, pretension, jingoism, absolutely horrendously skewed facts... who the Hell wants to waste their time participating in an environment of such vehemence?

And, in response to this fairly well-reasoned argument, I brought up that I've never seen anyone sling as much dirt as two females that hate each other. Her response "we may, but we have the common sense to know that nobody else gives a damn which of us is right. The only people that care are us. Most of the time our even our best friends give two squirts of piss. Guys think everyone cares about their opinions. We also don't bother trying to spout facts and elitism, we just call each other stupid names."

Hmm. Seems kind of legit to me.

So, your girl and her friends are superficial and do not respect the opinions of others?
They just want to tear into each other and swear at each other?

Seems like a person i really need advice from.

Here is a sarcasm detector, in case yours is defect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMr8yCbGqN8

Read much?

No. I said that they have the sense to know that trying to argue with someone completely at the opposite end of your belief system is automatically close-minded is a waste of time of effort. When they fight, vehemently, they don't bother trying to argue about it. Because it's a waste of effort. Like trolling on the internet. And it's something fanboys and trolls haven't figured out yet.

Jeez.
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S