How the hell did Microsoft overcome such a mountain of backlash with the X1?

#1AncientAstroPosted 12/11/2013 11:41:21 AM
They sold 2 million consoles at $500 a pop in just two and a half weeks. I would've laughed so hard if I heard of that estimate just a few months ago when they were dealing with PR from hell. What a hurdle to overcome and accomplish...
#2Viet0nePosted 12/11/2013 11:44:32 AM
Initial sales were always going to be high. In the next year is when the real sales numbers will be seen.

Xbox one would have likely been ahead of the ps4 but after e3, it stands almost no chance. You can still find xbox one consoles in stores after restock. Ps4 not nearly as much.

which company will keep momentum?

Xbox 360 sold 10 million in a year, Xbox one should be able to beat it.
---
Currently Playing: Civ5
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#3archibald3Posted 12/11/2013 11:52:26 AM
The thing that relatively few of the children battling on here can see is that the portion of the gaming community that is slinging all the mud and all caught up in this "console war" is a small subsection of the regular people, families etc , in the world who are ultimately going to bring these gaming consoles into their homes. The whole world isn`t gamefaqs trolls and fanboys.....
#4Troll_DirectoryPosted 12/11/2013 11:55:29 AM
AncientAstro posted...
They sold 2 million consoles at $500 a pop in just two and a half weeks. I would've laughed so hard if I heard of that estimate just a few months ago when they were dealing with PR from hell. What a hurdle to overcome and accomplish...
i think it helps that they reversed their most questionable policies within weeks of announcing them, rather than months. and, it also helps that was still months ahead of launch. we've seen other highly successful companies have similar screwups before launch, but instead of reversing them, they arrogantly tell you to get a 2nd job. so, anybody can come back apparently.
#5HENTAIDOJIPosted 12/11/2013 12:02:33 PM
DESTINY.

5 million shipped by jan 1st.

It has been foreseen.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#6leelee3105Posted 12/11/2013 12:04:17 PM
Its because 99% of consumers dont give 2 ****s about E3 or anything else like that. They probably dont even know. Half of the other 1% realized that what MS was wanting to do was actually a good thing for gaming. Then half of that last .5% were not grudge holding jerk faces, and forgave MS since they actually listened to the small fraction of loyal consumers they pissed off.
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
#7crawdadPosted 12/11/2013 12:07:26 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
i think it helps that they reversed their most questionable policies within weeks of announcing them, rather than months. and, it also helps that was still months ahead of launch. we've seen other highly successful companies have similar screwups before launch, but instead of reversing them, they arrogantly tell you to get a 2nd job. so, anybody can come back apparently.


Pretty much this, though I think they're still going to struggle without the 3rd party support that they so desperately need.

Sony made themselves out to be the safe bet, and that's attracted them a lot of positive attention.

MS is going to have to try extravagantly hard to keep up this Gen. There hasn't been much news in what's to come any time soon after March. And that's not good.

MS Needs to be hyping their future much more, they sold consoles and I don;t care what anyone says, their launch was far superior in terms of software. but their immediate sofware future, in terms of exclusivity and multiplat performance is not looking bright.

They succeeded in general damage control, but they lost a lot of fans from their initial reveal (which for some reason people are equating to their E3 showing which was actually good).
They're going to have to work hard to make people feel like they're actually missing out on something, because even now as a big Xbox fan that I am (despite having owned every single Sony console, PS1,2,3 PSP and Vita), there's not much incentive in terms of their future software for people to invest in, let alone another hundred dollars.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#8Viet0nePosted 12/11/2013 12:07:51 PM
There will always be people who would have purchased the Xbox One no matter what. When you have already sold 80 million of a previous product, selling a new product to 10% of those people will be an easy task.

We can't conclude Microsoft overcame any backlash until the sales are compared later on. Strong launch isn't a measure of a success. It's longevity and considering that Xbox One consoles are still available on shelves in a lot of stores, that may be a sign that demand isn't as high.

For example, the last weekend. Best Buy announced new stock of PS4 and Xbox One. There were plenty of stories, video, and picture evidence on reddit that proved the PS4s were instantly sold out while Xbox One consoles were still available in many stores by the end of the day. Not only that, the PS4 stock was more than triple the availability of Xbox One stock on that day.

It's far too early to make any kind of determination. Even the dreamcast had a very successful launch at the time.
---
Currently Playing: Civ5
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#9Zato InfinitePosted 12/11/2013 12:08:35 PM
Yeah I seriously have to give Microsoft props for overcoming the PR nightmare. Imagine they didn't have those policies in the first place....... what would the landscape look like now if they never announced those policies?
---
Hey guys! Zatanna got nerfed to the Heroes' side!
#10TJ_UNLIMITEDPosted 12/11/2013 12:08:41 PM
leelee3105 posted...
Its because 99% of consumers dont give 2 ****s about E3 or anything else like that. They probably dont even know. Half of the other 1% realized that what MS was wanting to do was actually a good thing for gaming. Then half of that last .5% were not grudge holding jerk faces, and forgave MS since they actually listened to the small fraction of loyal consumers they pissed off.


You need to talk to more people in real life if you truly believe that.
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D