So what would you pay to not be spied on?

#1QuintiousPosted 12/12/2013 4:34:47 PM(edited)
(NOTE: I'm not offering this service or even offering to link you with the person who can offer it - don't ask me).

I was talking to a regular at one of my bars last night, and he was commenting about how he was finally unboxing his Day One that he'd been sitting on for weeks. I made some comment about me never buying one because I don't want an invasive presence in my house (this seems to get under the radar, but most people seem to be unaware that that mic listens to every conversation you have and stores it so that it can deliver targeting marketing to you in games and on the console, etc. - this was the reason they wanted to go to that big server cloud platform instead of on-disc data).

Then he kind of threw me a little. He went "Eh, I'm not worried about it. I work for the company that handles the linguistic analysis and voice recognition, and we control the platform. All I need to do is pull the MAC address off of my machine and I can go into the network and configure it to not store any utterances that come from my machine".

Now I knew he worked for that company. And I knew they were the ones that handled the voice recognition, because they handle ALL the voice recognition except for Google. What I didn't know was he had the ability to fine tune a configuration to exempt him from the spying. He then offered to do the same for me, to which I replied I'd take him up on it if I ever bought one of those abominations - and that he should totally extend that offer to people that care about things like this and make some cash. I suggested he could probably charge people 2 or 3 hundred dollars a piece and they would line up out the door to escape it. He seemed to think he'd be unable to properly market it (especially given you would have no way of knowing whether or not he had actually done anything).

Which raised the question: How much WOULD people pay to escape Microsoft's spying eye? Again, I'm not offering this in any way or willing to link anybody to him. It's more a curiosity.
---
I sued Microsoft...and won!
http://digg.com/xbox_360/Average_Joe_takes_on_Microsoft_over_the_360_units_and_wins
#2Apex-PlayerPosted 12/12/2013 4:35:47 PM
Answer is 400, and on a ps4.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#3bessy67Posted 12/12/2013 4:36:58 PM(edited)
Why would you pay when if you're really that paranoid you can just not buy an Xbox One or you can simply unplug kinect? And you're completely wrong about everything you just said anyways.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#4zinsindettaPosted 12/12/2013 4:37:17 PM
Mod please ban Apex. They Sony pony lives on the Xbox One board and does nothing but make this website a worse place.
---
Gamertag/PSN - http://gamercards.exophase.com/31441.png
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=SinZinDetta
#5roos1046 RebornPosted 12/12/2013 4:41:36 PM
I play my games with my dong hanging out.
I really don't care
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#6CourtofOwlsPosted 12/12/2013 4:43:51 PM
nothing because the kinect isn't even getting plugged in until fantasia comes out
at which point all they're going to hear is music...then the riaa and whatever other thing there is will shut them down for copyright infringement since they'd be recording said music without permission
---
[?]
Boycott Best Buy!
#7Apex-PlayerPosted 12/12/2013 4:43:59 PM
zinsindetta posted...
Mod please ban Apex. They Sony pony lives on the Xbox One board and does nothing but make this website a worse place.

Ahh, desperation. The reason we favor this board.

My answer was accurate, dudes talking about giving hundreds to some guy when the best solution would be just buy a ps4.

Keep crying though.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#8grampamurkedPosted 12/12/2013 4:46:10 PM
I would pay the tinfoil brigade to stop posting nonsense.
---
Xbox One on day one. Gonna miss my job, well not really.
#9Quintious(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 4:46:27 PM
Apex-Player posted...
zinsindetta posted...

My answer was accurate, dudes talking about giving hundreds to some guy when the best solution would be just buy a ps4.

Keep crying though.

I have a PS4. I'm enjoying it. It's my choice for this gen. That said, what about when (not if, when) the PS4 does a firmware update and gets the same voice and video support?
---
I sued Microsoft...and won!
http://digg.com/xbox_360/Average_Joe_takes_on_Microsoft_over_the_360_units_and_wins
#10Lord_Ka1nPosted 12/12/2013 4:47:58 PM
Quintious posted...
Apex-Player posted...
zinsindetta posted...

Keep crying though.

I have a PS4. I'm enjoying it. It's my choice for this gen. That said, what about when (not if, when) the PS4 does a firmware update and gets the same voice and video support?

nothing, because we werent forced to buy the camera.
---
PSN - Lord_Ka1n (Current PS4 games - AC:BF, NFS Rivals)
3DS FC - 2680-9921-1203 - Feel free to add, pm me so i can get you back