Reasons why you should care about sales numbers

#1CallmegePosted 12/13/2013 6:40:05 AM
1) close sales figures between the two main consoles of this generation (ps4 and Xbone, let's be honest here) will be best for consumers. That will force Sony and Microsoft to work their butts off to appeal more, ultimately benefiting consumers with more and better games, features and deals.

2) if your console of choice (most can't afford both) sells poorly, really poorly, there's always the possibility that developers and maybe even the manufacturer will drop support for it. See: Sega Dreamcast. A decent console that sold terribly and died after a couple of years. Also, possibly see WiiU in the near future.

3) if one console sells much, much better than its competitors, it disincentivises the manufacturer to push for more developer support, ultimately resulting in less and poorer quality games. A great example of this is ps2 and Wii. Both were loaded with shovelware, while Xbox, gamecube, 360 and ps3 had smaller, albeit much, much better libraries.

So really it boils down to one reason: getting the best games. And competitive sales figures get you the best games.
---
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008
#2TerraUniversePosted 12/13/2013 6:44:08 AM
They've both sold about the same amount. It's impressive for Microsoft, because the internet gaming media made a big deal out of the E3 DRM policies, but they were wrong. Ever since Microsoft changed their stance on DRM, people really don't care anymore.

I like the competition, and I think gamers are wanting to play games, and it's not really about one console or another, since most gamers are getting both.
#3SorbetowulfPosted 12/13/2013 6:46:15 AM
#1 will definitely apply. The competition between the two consoles will only benefit both.

#2 & #3 are moot points, as the sales have been so close there's semantic battles about fastest-selling vs. best-selling. While (and I'm an XBox One owner and lover, and I'm willing to concede this point for now), the Playstation 4 will likely outsell the XBox One, the difference in total units sold is likely to be so slight as to be next to meaningless. It certainly is the case currently. Both are staggering successes for their respective brands, and will continue to be for the next two years at least.

Unless one company or the other makes a gross misstep in policy or something, the parity between the two will likely continue as it did during the last two console generations. Everyone wins.
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S
#4Callmege(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2013 6:49:00 AM
TerraUniverse posted...
They've both sold about the same amount. It's impressive for Microsoft, because the internet gaming media made a big deal out of the E3 DRM policies, but they were wrong. Ever since Microsoft changed their stance on DRM, people really don't care anymore.

I like the competition, and I think gamers are wanting to play games, and it's not really about one console or another, since most gamers are getting both.

For me it's just a matter of price. Ps4 is cheaper and more powerful. I don't want Kinect. If there was a kinectless Xbone that was 30-50 cheaper than ps4 I might be tempted.

Games play a small part too I guess. I was a big Uncharted fan last gen and wouldn't want to miss out on a next gen Drake Fortune adventure. I hope his brother, among thieves, isn't in it though, he was a tool.
---
#5SuperXThousandPosted 12/13/2013 6:52:49 AM
Callmege posted...
1) close sales figures between the two main consoles of this generation (ps4 and Xbone, let's be honest here) will be best for consumers. That will force Sony and Microsoft to work their butts off to appeal more, ultimately benefiting consumers with more and better games, features and deals.

2) if your console of choice (most can't afford both) sells poorly, really poorly, there's always the possibility that developers and maybe even the manufacturer will drop support for it. See: Sega Dreamcast. A decent console that sold terribly and died after a couple of years. Also, possibly see WiiU in the near future.

3) if one console sells much, much better than its competitors, it disincentivises the manufacturer to push for more developer support, ultimately resulting in less and poorer quality games. A great example of this is ps2 and Wii. Both were loaded with shovelware, while Xbox, gamecube, 360 and ps3 had smaller, albeit much, much better libraries.

So really it boils down to one reason: getting the best games. And competitive sales figures get you the best games.

1. This is exactly what xbox needs. Hopefully they'll see better exclusives now (hopefully). PS4 will continue to have great content regardless, at least this gen.

2. Yes, but the Wii U is in that position right now. XB quite probably isn't.

3. I guess we'll find out. I'm sure all the companies that push out GOOD content will continue to do so.
#6Callmege(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2013 6:53:58 AM
Look at how arrogant Sony got after the success of ps1 and ps2. The PS3 launch was a total shambles and their sales sucked initially. It was a wake up call for Sony and they worked their fingers to the bone to pull it back. In the end ps3 was a great console with a brilliant games library.
---
#7SuperXThousandPosted 12/13/2013 6:58:28 AM
TerraUniverse posted...
They've both sold about the same amount.

That's not even remotely true.
#8GeistPosted 12/13/2013 6:59:05 AM
Nope, sorry still don't give a ****.
---
I dislike Nintendo.
#9Callmege(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2013 7:17:04 AM
Geist posted...
Nope, sorry still don't give a ****.

You don't want Sony and Microsoft working their arses off to provide you with the best experience? Oh right.
---
#10bessy67Posted 12/13/2013 7:18:06 AM
SuperXThousand posted...
TerraUniverse posted...
They've both sold about the same amount.

That's not even remotely true.

Except it's entirely true...
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67