Reasons why you should care about sales numbers

#31A-2TheKPosted 12/13/2013 10:04:35 AM
Well #1 is happening, #2 was never, ever going to happen regardless of what people (idiots) 'thought' and #3 will likely never happen to that extreme again. So sales numbers shouldn't ever matter to us. People who want one console to fail don't seem to understand what that would mean, and people who seem to think MS have overcome some huge obstacle and deserve over the top reward, well this is technically the correct board for it and not everyone needs to get involved.
---
God, did you remember to render everything?
FlameLurker666
#32method115Posted 12/13/2013 10:32:18 AM
TerraUniverse posted...
They've both sold about the same amount. It's impressive for Microsoft, because the internet gaming media made a big deal out of the E3 DRM policies, but they were wrong. Ever since Microsoft changed their stance on DRM, people really don't care anymore.

I like the competition, and I think gamers are wanting to play games, and it's not really about one console or another, since most gamers are getting both.

I disagree. A lot of people keep saying things like "microsoft is doing well" and I just can't agree with that. MS dominated Sony in the US and now they are neck and neck with them? If you thinK MS thinks it's a success to lose the market share they had in the US then you guys don't understand the basics of a buisness.

At the end of the day though it's way to early to tell and we wont really get a good idea how this gen will play out until middle of next year at least.
---
PSN: method114
#33Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 12/13/2013 10:46:19 AM
method115 posted...
TerraUniverse posted...
They've both sold about the same amount. It's impressive for Microsoft, because the internet gaming media made a big deal out of the E3 DRM policies, but they were wrong. Ever since Microsoft changed their stance on DRM, people really don't care anymore.

I like the competition, and I think gamers are wanting to play games, and it's not really about one console or another, since most gamers are getting both.

I disagree. A lot of people keep saying things like "microsoft is doing well" and I just can't agree with that. MS dominated Sony in the US and now they are neck and neck with them? If you thinK MS thinks it's a success to lose the market share they had in the US then you guys don't understand the basics of a buisness.

At the end of the day though it's way to early to tell and we wont really get a good idea how this gen will play out until middle of next year at least.

Yeah but the thing is both are breaking records. I'm sure they want to be ahead of Sony but are happy they are selling more consoles(at a higher price tag) in the same time frame(by a good amount) than they did last gen. Both are obviously going to slow down but I don't think people need to worry about either company ditching the console anytime soon.
---
If LeBron shoots below 56 percent for the regular(obviously) season(2013-14) I'll close my account.
#34_V1Posted 12/13/2013 10:47:56 AM
grampamurked posted...
Callmege posted...
Well, as this has been a futile attempt to inform gamers of how sales numbers affect them, I'm off to play some games on my system of choice: PC.

Oh that's right. I'm not even a console gamer.

Confirmed for trolling lol

How does this in the least confirm him as a troll?
---
Try harder next time,
Good day sir/s
#35Callmege(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2013 10:48:30 AM
ejay8320 posted...
Callmege posted...
1) close sales figures between the two main consoles of this generation (ps4 and Xbone, let's be honest here) will be best for consumers. That will force Sony and Microsoft to work their butts off to appeal more, ultimately benefiting consumers with more and better games, features and deals.

2) if your console of choice (most can't afford both) sells poorly, really poorly, there's always the possibility that developers and maybe even the manufacturer will drop support for it. See: Sega Dreamcast. A decent console that sold terribly and died after a couple of years. Also, possibly see WiiU in the near future.

3) if one console sells much, much better than its competitors, it disincentivises the manufacturer to push for more developer support, ultimately resulting in less and poorer quality games. A great example of this is ps2 and Wii. Both were loaded with shovelware, while Xbox, gamecube, 360 and ps3 had smaller, albeit much, much better libraries.

So really it boils down to one reason: getting the best games. And competitive sales figures get you the best games.

In regards to points 1 & 3...

Um PS2 is the best era of the playstation brand history in both games and sales so I have no idea why your calling the PS2 having poor quality games...

Saying xbox360 and PS3 had better quality games shows you didn't play in the PS2 era, many consider the PS3 a shadow of what the PS brand use to be.

God damn. Stop playing games and go read some books. Brush up on your reading comprehension because it sucks.

I never said PS2 had rubbish games I said it had a ton of shovelware. And it did. That's just a fact. Yes it had some great games (and lots of them!) but the huge, huge majority of its library was cheap cash-ins, spin-offs and copy and paste sequels. Whereas the libraries of the Xbox and Gamecube were much smaller but the RATIO OF GREAT GAMES TO CRAP ONES WAS MUCH BETTER.

And I didn't say 360 and PS3 had better games than PS2, I said they had better games than Wii.

**** I've been gaming since you were a sperm floating about in the milkmans nutsack, so don't suggest for the second I 'didn't play in the ps2 era'.
---
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008