Splitscreen Gaming

#31Keven_KoopaPosted 12/13/2013 9:58:52 PM
ILikesCheese posted...
Keven_Koopa posted...
It sounds like a lovely story, but unfortuantely there's zero evidence for that. I see no peer review journals for this at all.

Please don't post stuff that you can't back up with evidence.

For some reason I think you think this is a funny response, as you say it eventually in most threads in which you post. Let me probably not be the first to tell you that your comedy routine needs a lot of work.

:D

It's great that you find my comedy routine unfunny because I'm actually being quite serious. There is absolutely NO evidence of this at all.
---
And Samus takes off the Zero Suit to reveal that Samus is indeed male, just looks female.
#32old_school227Posted 12/13/2013 10:23:24 PM
Games don't have to render multiple times for splitscreen. Most games nowaydays load a zone or an area so adding a second screen is as simple as adding an extra "camera", the only extra thing the game has to render is the player's avatar, they also have to have a way to prevent both players from being in two different loaded areas which most games got around by having player 2 teleport to player 1 when player one hit the new zone(or vice versa
---
It's free to play after you buy it. That's F2P genius. ~ Brutal_Felix
#33PurpleLink739(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2013 9:06:54 PM
old_school227 posted...
Games don't have to render multiple times for splitscreen. Most games nowaydays load a zone or an area so adding a second screen is as simple as adding an extra "camera", the only extra thing the game has to render is the player's avatar, they also have to have a way to prevent both players from being in two different loaded areas which most games got around by having player 2 teleport to player 1 when player one hit the new zone(or vice versa

Thats how I thought it worked. and if what you say is true then there's no excuse as to why split screen wasn't included.
#34TreGoodaPosted 12/14/2013 9:09:37 PM
PurpleLink739 posted...
Seriously what happened to it?

It sucks. Online gaming destroys it so no need for it.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#35TJ_UNLIMITEDPosted 12/15/2013 8:56:37 AM
TreGooda posted...
PurpleLink739 posted...

I already inb4'ed you brosef
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#36krystylaPosted 12/15/2013 9:04:59 AM
TreGooda posted...
PurpleLink739 posted...

Local Coop was what made consoles what they are today, never was playing as fun as with 4 people in Mario party 64m, Mario kart 64, Donkey Kong MP, etc.
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#37BraxSimeonPosted 12/15/2013 9:07:58 AM(edited)
Splitscreen DOES have to render multiple times and it DOES have to calc player collision multiple times - it does NOT have to reload assets, recalculate AI/physics/"enemy collisions"

That being said, it doesn't have to render as much per viewport, pixel fill wise. It takes more work to render for different points of view, but as I think TJ said, none of this is new and we've played lots of splitscreen in the past.

Splitscreen isn't going to rob too many sales because there aren't a ton of people that will skip a title because they can go to a friends house to play it (and can -only- play it at a friends house). Yeah, there will be SOME that buy two(+) copies for a single household, but not too many. Truth is, it takes resources to code splitscreen and if devs/publishers don't think splitscreen will get a ton of play time, it's not worth the allocation of resources to do it.

I love splitscreen (4 players = 1 copy = 4 people happy in my house vs 1 copy = 1 person happy, 3 that take turns. 4 players = 1 console vs 4 player = 4 consoles, etc.) This (along with system link) is part of what makes Halo so great for gaming parties.

Splitscreen and system link getting replaced by online/XBL/PSN is kind of a crummy trend...
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#38TreGoodaPosted 12/15/2013 9:08:53 AM
krystyla posted...
TreGooda posted...
PurpleLink739 posted...

Local Coop was what made consoles what they are today, never was playing as fun as with 4 people in Mario party 64m, Mario kart 64, Donkey Kong MP, etc.

Mario Kart online is way better than split screen. I grew up playing split screen multiplayer, it's not as good.
---
#39krystylaPosted 12/15/2013 9:14:24 AM
TreGooda posted...
krystyla posted...
TreGooda posted...
PurpleLink739 posted...

Mario Kart online is way better than split screen. I grew up playing split screen multiplayer, it's not as good.

Only if you have no friends, I got together just a few weeks ago drinking beer and playing Mario Kart 64 it was a blast
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#40TreGoodaPosted 12/15/2013 9:18:20 AM
krystyla posted...
TreGooda posted...
krystyla posted...
TreGooda posted...
PurpleLink739 posted...

Only if you have no friends, I got together just a few weeks ago drinking beer and playing Mario Kart 64 it was a blast

Nope, I have lots of friends. We game online together. When we're hanging out we don't sit and play splitscreen games.

Splitscreen was fun about 15 years ago.
---