Microsoft Launching Original Programming On Xbox Next Year

#1Dev445Posted 12/13/2013 8:20:13 PM
by Tim Turi

Netflix has Arrested Development season four, House of Cards, and more. Amazon has Alpha House. Next year Microsoft is entering the realm of original shows, available via the Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Nancy Tellem, president of entertainment and digital at Microsoft, joined the company in 2012 to help create original programming for the Xbox. The company is still discerning what type of original show will speak best to the Xbox’s install base. According to Tellem, some of the discussion revolves around whether to make the content “only on Xbox” or “best on Xbox.” Microsoft’s interactive NFL broadcasts are referenced as an example.

“I started when we had three networks and dictated what the audience would watch and when they would watch it,” Tellem said. “Millennials are now dictating what we’re doing. I prefer a more passive experience, but this new millennial generation are multi-tasking and leaning in. They want the option to watch when they want to watch.”

The new programming, coming early next year, will only be available to Xbox Live subscribers.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/12/13/microsoft-launching-original-programming-on-xbox-next-year.aspx
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#2Reflex-ArcPosted 12/13/2013 8:23:55 PM(edited)
I hope they bring back Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#3Apex-PlayerPosted 12/13/2013 8:45:48 PM
I assumed MS would start focusing more on apps etc, after everything so far, but honestly to me this seems a little excessive.
Sure its 'extra' so it only adds more to the experience or whatever, but the more and more they focus on apps makes me wonder if the next 'box' might just be an entertainment unit all its own.
As in no games.

Like maybe they'll have:
Xbox2 for gaming,
MS box, for tv, apps, voice stuff etc.

Not saying they will, just seems like they prefer to be a media center rather then a gaming system.

It could happen, if so it would be a mistake because the casuals they gain this gen would probably just want the entertainment box next time and there gaming system would sell less. But still Damn are they ever focused on 75% everything else 25% gaming lately.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#4Cowboy082288Posted 12/13/2013 9:00:35 PM
Apex-Player posted...
I assumed MS would start focusing more on apps etc, after everything so far, but honestly to me this seems a little excessive.
Sure its 'extra' so it only adds more to the experience or whatever, but the more and more they focus on apps makes me wonder if the next 'box' might just be an entertainment unit all its own.
As in no games.

Like maybe they'll have:
Xbox2 for gaming,

Not saying they will, just seems like they prefer to be a media center rather then a gaming system.

It could happen, if so it would be a mistake because the casuals they gain this gen would probably just want the entertainment box next time and there gaming system would sell less. But still Damn are they ever focused on 75% everything else 25% gaming lately.

I never understand this sentiment. PC does MANY things but also plays games. These consoles are computers in another form factor. Why shouldn't they do many other things than just play games?
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#5Apex-PlayerPosted 12/13/2013 9:06:28 PM(edited)
Because at some point, cost will skyrocket for the parts needed for excessive multitasking, and when that happens why wouldn't you just go with PC.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#6archibald3Posted 12/13/2013 9:12:05 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
Apex-Player posted...
As in no games.

Like maybe they'll have:
Xbox2 for gaming,

I never understand this sentiment. PC does MANY things but also plays games. These consoles are computers in another form factor. Why shouldn't they do many other things than just play games?

Yeah i`m really suprised that more people don`t get this or brush it off. They also seem to think its going to "take away from games" ,which really couldn`t be further from the truth. It allows the developers to make the games and the console company [Microsoft] to develop , streamline and expand the consoles abilities.
#7Reflex-ArcPosted 12/13/2013 9:18:01 PM
More users, for any reason be it media or games, means a larger install base, means more and better content both games and otherwise.

It's win - win.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#8Apex-PlayerPosted 12/13/2013 9:19:24 PM(edited)
Apex-Player posted...
Because at some point, cost will skyrocket for the parts needed for excessive multitasking, and when that happens why wouldn't you just go with PC.

Alright apparently were all ignoring the fact that if they intend to build it into a xboxPCtv, it will price like a PC, at that point are you really going to drop 1500+, for a few exclusives, I wouldn't personally but mkay.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#9archibald3Posted 12/13/2013 9:18:41 PM
I think they have Steven Spielberg at the helm for a Halo series - which actually sounds pretty cool..
#10Cowboy082288Posted 12/13/2013 9:20:28 PM
Apex-Player posted...

But the parts are already in place. A modern game console can do technically whatever a PC can do (within reason, obviously not some niche field of use). The cpu is there, the ram, the gpu, hard drive. The thing that has held game consoles back for far to long I think is the OS. You could load linux on a PS3. Instead though it should have just shipped with linux on it and then played games.

I mean just look at all the functionality of an iPad. That device doesn't have the hardware specs of a PS4 or X1, hell not even a Wii U. Also I disagree with the term 'excessive'. There is nothing excessive about using the hardware to the fullest extent by having the proper software on it.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni