Anyone else unplug their system and turn their kinect to the wall?

#11SunDevil77Posted 12/14/2013 9:00:44 AM
No. I don't.
---
Hell, it's about time.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#12AkuryuPosted 12/14/2013 9:33:06 AM(edited)
bob15x posted...
Nope, because I am not stupid.

Oh I dunno... You're trusting Microsoft to have your best interests. Microsoft, makers of some of the buggiest, least secure, most exploited software in history. Microsoft, confirmed to have worked very closely with the NSA in the past. Microsoft, whose TOS explicitly spells out how they will monitor your response to ads and collect marketing data on you. I'm not nominating you for Mensa.
#13skermacPosted 12/14/2013 9:31:41 AM
My Kinect is still in the box, no use for it.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#14bessy67Posted 12/14/2013 9:33:29 AM
Akuryu posted...
bob15x posted...

Oh I dunno... You're trusting Microsoft to have your best interests. Microsoft, makers of some of the buggiest, least secure, most exploited software in history. Microsoft, confirmed to have worked very closely with the NSA in the past. Microsoft, whose TOS explicitly spells out how they will monitor your response to ads and collect marketing data on you.

Yep, the TOS that explicitly states that they do not record anything without their permission. The TOS that if they were ever found in violation of they would be under a mountain of litigation. That TOS.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#15AkuryuPosted 12/14/2013 10:01:24 AM(edited)
bessy67 posted...
Yep, the TOS that explicitly states that they do not record anything without their permission. The TOS that if they were ever found in violation of they would be under a mountain of litigation. That TOS.

Pretty sure skype, skydrive, windows, etc all have extensive privacy policies.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/11/microsoft-prism/

OOPS! Goes back to that trust thing I mentioned. I trust a few people... close friends and family mostly. You trust a multi-billion dollar corporation with a history of security and privacy breeches a mile long. I'm sure nothing could go wrong there.
#16Not_ShippyPosted 12/14/2013 9:49:43 AM
bob15x posted...

---
Pokemon Black 2 FC:0476-9471-9375
Xbox Live GT:ShippouX411X
#17SorbetowulfPosted 12/14/2013 10:14:25 AM
Akuryu posted...
bessy67 posted...

Pretty sure skype, skydrive, windows, etc all have extensive privacy policies.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/11/microsoft-prism/

OOPS! Goes back to that trust thing I mentioned. I trust a few people... close friends and family mostly. You trust a multi-billion dollar corporation with a history of security and privacy breeches a mile long. I'm sure nothing could go wrong there.

Yup. The convenient thing about all of the news reports that people are citing fail to mention that in Snowden's original report, Microsoft helped the NSA because they were staring down the barrel of a court order requiring them to provide the NSA with backdoor access. The money they accepted to aid them with this access was basically an out-of-court settlement to provide them with compensation for handing over access to their very tightly controlled IPs.

See, Snowden didn't couch this in terms of Microsoft didn't want to aid the NSA, because it's simply not in his best interests to. He's basically been chased out of his home and in order to have public sympathy on his side and rally people to his cause, he can't just say "the corporations are being forced by America law to help the government," because then it makes it look like they're just as bullied as he is. Eventually, he couched his argument in these terms, but, of course, by then, people have drawn their own conclusions instead of simply reading further into the story.

That's the wonderful thing about forums like these. People find a single source, copy/paste the link, and BOOM. That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Unfortunately, most of the time, they haven't even bothered to read this story in full. Like the ones where Microsoft says "uh, actually, we only co-operated because we were legally obliged to do so."

TC even admits he stopped reading the news on Kinect "months ago." Way to have an informed opinion, TC. I stopped reading the news months ago too. What's a Mandela?
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S
#18deadmarvPosted 12/14/2013 10:15:07 AM
Killah Priest posted...
I wasn't going to get one either thanks to the stupid kinect but microsoft decided to send me two free so I have it. Haven't plugged in the kinect yet at all.

I changed the power settings so it goes completely off when I shut the console down, I don't physically unplug.

Why did microsoft send you two free?
#19BassnaPosted 12/14/2013 10:24:10 AM
Jelekk posted...
bob15x posted...

---
XBL = Bassna OG
#20AkuryuPosted 12/14/2013 10:26:12 AM
Sorbetowulf posted...
Yup. The convenient thing about all of the news reports that people are citing fail to mention that in Snowden's original report, Microsoft helped the NSA because they were staring down the barrel of a court order requiring them to provide the NSA with backdoor access. The money they accepted to aid them with this access was basically an out-of-court settlement to provide them with compensation for handing over access to their very tightly controlled IPs.

See, Snowden didn't couch this in terms of Microsoft didn't want to aid the NSA, because it's simply not in his best interests to. He's basically been chased out of his home and in order to have public sympathy on his side and rally people to his cause, he can't just say "the corporations are being forced by America law to help the government," because then it makes it look like they're just as bullied as he is. Eventually, he couched his argument in these terms, but, of course, by then, people have drawn their own conclusions instead of simply reading further into the story.

That's the wonderful thing about forums like these. People find a single source, copy/paste the link, and BOOM. That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Unfortunately, most of the time, they haven't even bothered to read this story in full. Like the ones where Microsoft says "uh, actually, we only co-operated because we were legally obliged to do so."

TC even admits he stopped reading the news on Kinect "months ago." Way to have an informed opinion, TC. I stopped reading the news months ago too. What's a Mandela?

Does it really matter if Microsoft wanted to do it or not? They did it. It happened, and there is no guarantee it won't continue to happen. I don't care if it was a court order, or if the government offered them all free hookers and coke. The end result to me is the same.

We have article after article about backdoors being written into Microsoft products. This occurred at the same time kinect and Xbox One were being developed. To label anyone who is concerned about this as "tinfoil hat wearing" is ignorant, and to borrow from the poster I originally quoted, stupid.