Why ship out xbox ones to Japan?

#31ReggieBush09(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2013 10:17:55 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#32ReggieBush09(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2013 10:27:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#33ValimerPosted 12/15/2013 11:47:17 PM
Eoin posted...
Since the original Xbox failed to gain any real traction in Japan, I think that Microsoft have stayed in that market purely for prestige reasons and to give the Japanese developers a visible Microsoft presence in their home market, something that reminds them that the Xbox brand still exists and that they should develop games for it.

Ironman06 posted...
I could be wrong, but aren't all consoles expected to fail miserably in Japan?

No. The PS3 and Wii did quite well, as did the PS2. The focus is on handhelds but consoles do sell, unless they're called Xbox.

Ironman06 posted...
I thought they were more of a PC crowd in that neck of the woods.

No, PC gaming is a tiny niche in Japan.

Plenty of PC gamers here, it's not really a tiny niche. Handhelds rule the country though, EVERYONE has one.
---
Sent from my iPhone.
#34Keven_KoopaPosted 12/16/2013 2:24:44 AM
Valimer posted...
Eoin posted...
Since the original Xbox failed to gain any real traction in Japan, I think that Microsoft have stayed in that market purely for prestige reasons and to give the Japanese developers a visible Microsoft presence in their home market, something that reminds them that the Xbox brand still exists and that they should develop games for it.

Ironman06 posted...
I could be wrong, but aren't all consoles expected to fail miserably in Japan?

No. The PS3 and Wii did quite well, as did the PS2. The focus is on handhelds but consoles do sell, unless they're called Xbox.

Ironman06 posted...
I thought they were more of a PC crowd in that neck of the woods.

No, PC gaming is a tiny niche in Japan.

Plenty of PC gamers here, it's not really a tiny niche. Handhelds rule the country though, EVERYONE has one.

That explains how a man in Japan legally married a video game character from a Japanese-exclusive DS game.
---
And Samus takes off the Zero Suit to reveal that Samus is indeed male, just looks female.
#35NightMareBunnyPosted 12/16/2013 2:29:20 AM
until Microsoft puts out some legit JRPG's and well known japanese titles...there's no chance of the system selling well in Japan
---
PS3 Tag: VV_Argost
XB1 Gamertag: GamerClawdeen
#36kyncaniPosted 12/16/2013 5:19:07 AM
Jygga posted...
Yeah Microsoft only cares about US anyway so why would they care about Japan.
Or Europe for that matter.
#37Blizz87Posted 12/16/2013 5:31:29 AM
In my 5 years on Xbox live I played with only two people from Japan. I ran across them back in 2007 in Halo 3. They were on my team and neither of them spoke a lick of English. Funny thing us the rest of my teammates were in the U.S like me. So I made a mistake a betrayed one of them, and they went nutts and kept betraying us and eventually got booted ha.

They sent me hate mail in japenese afterward but didn't know what it said. I didn't even know people over there liked Halo or MS. They must of been some of the very few with the system over there.
#38mcnichojPosted 12/16/2013 5:42:28 AM
BDJayce posted...
Why should PS4 ship out to the US?

Why should all these consoles be made in China?

Why should Japan bother translating their games to English?

Why should the US bother translating their games to other countries?

I'll tell you why. Money, my friend.. cold, hard cash is the reason why. Even if only a few consoles sell, it's still money.
Except Japan is basically a sink.
Japanese games are selling better in America than they are in their own country.

NightMareBunny posted...
until Microsoft puts out some legit JRPG's and well known japanese titles...there's no chance of the system selling well in Japan
They have Dead Rising and Crimson Dragon (Panzer Dragoon).
Although it's not up to MS to get RPGs but they did pay for Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and I think timed exclusivity for Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia.
Even with those and all the other amazing JRPGs they had they still didn't pull good numbers.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner. Day one PS4/X1. | Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy.
#39MertensCWPosted 12/16/2013 8:52:30 AM
#1 reason - Forza Anime cars.
#2 - Japanese guys are crazy good drifters in Forza.
#3 - Lost Odyssey 2?
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#40AnakeriePosted 12/16/2013 9:16:53 AM
Simple. Have you seen the size of the average apartment in Japan? A Japanese family of 4 could live comfortably inside of an XBox One, and then use the Kinect as a guest-house.
---
GT: CrampedSultana
Pawn: Zarianna