Console manufacturers marketing "directly" on message boards?

#1FeatherwindPosted 12/15/2013 11:53:30 AM
Do you think that the console manufacturers might be marketing directly on internet message boards?

After all they do spend a lot of money on "inefficient" marketing like TV ads while the audience of internet gaming boards is made up of people already interested gaming hardware, they consider PR and marketing very important and have been shown to be willing to do questionable stuff like install rootkits on the computers of their customers. If I were to take AdBlock off I would probably see banners for console games right now, but it wouldn't block marketing done by people who pose as "normal" users.
---
pathological
#2bessy67Posted 12/15/2013 11:54:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3BigBOO2UPosted 12/15/2013 11:55:20 AM
Featherwind posted...
Do you think that the console manufacturers might be marketing directly on internet message boards?

Well, since both Microsoft and Sony have admitted to doing so, I am going to have to say "Yes"
---
Who knew that failing to put a "?" at the end of a sentence will bring down the wrath of the Mods on you for "Trolling" ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
#4Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2013 11:57:57 AM(edited)
Sweet, are we going to go back to the good ol' days and start calling everybody shills again?

The possibility is something to keep in mind but there is no way to tell a shill apart from a "normal" user. I'm not advocating for a "shill hunt" and I don't think I hinted that we should call each other shills.

BigBOO2U posted...
Featherwind posted...

Well, since both Microsoft and Sony have admitted to doing so, I am going to have to say "Yes"

Do you have any links or a source?
---
pathological
#5Vivaldi7Posted 12/15/2013 11:59:22 AM
You can bet your boots on it
---
---
"Saxon = joke account - I might put that in my sig." - MrXbox360_2012
#6BigBOO2UPosted 12/15/2013 12:01:30 PM
bessy67 posted...
Sweet, are we going to go back to the good ol' days and start calling everybody shills again?

Didn't quite hit the Delete button fast enough Bessy.

As I said, it is widely known that corporations, especially Microsoft and Sony, do use internet message boards to market their products, and that such posters are known as "shills" among the regular users.

It's just not known who those shills may be because it's a bit difficult at times separating a "Fanboy" from a "shill."
---
Who knew that failing to put a "?" at the end of a sentence will bring down the wrath of the Mods on you for "Trolling" ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
#7BigBOO2UPosted 12/15/2013 12:03:06 PM
Featherwind posted...

It has been mentioned many, many times in video game and business articles. Search here: WWW.Google.com
---
#8ElPolloDiablo87Posted 12/15/2013 12:05:47 PM
BigBOO2U posted...
bessy67 posted...

Didn't quite hit the Delete button fast enough Bessy.

As I said, it is widely known that corporations, especially Microsoft and Sony, do use internet message boards to market their products, and that such posters are known as "shills" among the regular users.

It's just not known who those shills may be because it's a bit difficult at times separating a "Fanboy" from a "shill."

Which category do you fall under? Are you paid by sony, or just a fanboy?
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#9Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 12/15/2013 12:17:24 PM
If so MS doesn't do a good enough job of sending their people to GameFAQs.
---
If LeBron shoots below 56 percent for the regular(obviously) season(2013-14) I'll close my account.
#10archibald3Posted 12/15/2013 12:20:46 PM
BigBOO2U posted...
Featherwind posted...

It has been mentioned many, many times in video game and business articles. Search here: WWW.Google.com

You said Microsoft and Sony have admitted to this - i say bs -and still no source. You get asked again for a source and give google.

If this is so well known and in so many articles then provide a link. A link to Sony and Microsoft specifically saying they "plant" employees on forums to pose as regular users as you claim...